The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP! How do i get the vocals/ recording to sound like this? (Artist: Dido) 500 Series Preamps
Old 18th February 2015
How do i get the vocals/ recording to sound like this? (Artist: Dido)

Anybody know the vocal chain for this. i love this recording. it has a smooth, clear, VERY BIG sound, i know recording consist of many things artist performance, his/her voice, mic, preamps, techniques, converters, among many other things.

i am just curious what type of preamps are used on the vocals/ guitars you think?? or any other equipment compressors, to get that clean and big sound. there is a lot of big engineers here, possible someone who done some work with her?

whats the closest preamp you say would do it with similar results? RND 511 maybe? that is if i cant find what exactly is used. the drums sound very nice also with big kick and snare on video below "i dont belive i love" just curious to what recording gear were used.

some engineers names i read online on this particular album are
Grippa Mixing, Vocal Engineer
Greg Koller Engineer, Mixing
Jim Scott Drums, Engineer, Mixing

Last edited by 141550; 20th February 2015 at 12:13 AM..
Old 19th February 2015
bump
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
Anybody know the vocal chain for this. i love this recording. it has a smooth, clear, VERY BIG sound, i know recording consist of many things artist performance, his/her voice, mic, preamps, techniques, converters, among many other things.

i am just curious what type of preamps are used on the vocals/ guitars you think?? or any other equipment compressors, to get that clean and big sound. there is a lot of big engineers here, possible someone who done some work with her?

RND 511? whats the closest preamp you say would do it? if you dont know the exact. the drums sound very nice on video below "i dont belive i love" i wonder what recording gear were used.

You should read Phill Brown's "Are we still rolling?" .. it's well documented there..
There's also a Q&A with him here on GS..there might be some info there as well..

He's a great guy, the book is really a great read.. I had the honor/opportunity to work with him few months ago.. heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 19th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
You should read Phill Brown's "Are we still rolling?" .. it's well documented there..
There's also a Q&A with him here on GS..there might be some info there as well..

He's a great guy, the book is really a great read.. I had the honor/opportunity to work with him few months ago.. heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
thanks for the reply, i knew someone on gearslutz would soon pop up who knows something

i found the book. is he the engineer recording DIDO?, im impressed the sound recording of the album. this is extremely well engineered album, next to the madonnas 80-90s recordings that i really like
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
thanks for the reply, i knew someone on gearslutz would soon pop up who knows something

i found the book. is he the engineer recording DIDO?, im impressed the sound recording of the album. this is extremely well engineered album, next to the madonnas 80-90s recordings that i really like
Yes afaik he's the recording engineer.. btw he's a talented guy.. (go on his website and check the artists he worked with.. simply stunning)..

he worked a lot for Dido's brother before that (Rollo Armstrong of Faithless).. Dido's success wasn't expected at all. (it came basically thank to eminem who used that song in one of his songs..).

Buy the book.. a lot of crazy/funny/incredible stories from the 60ies/70ies/80ies.. really worth the expense.

I believe the chain was usual suspects like u87 (or 67), neve, etc.. but don't quote me on that.. on the book is written what he used, also when mixing..with reverb details etc etc..

Cheu
Old 19th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Yes afaik he's the recording engineer.. btw he's a talented guy.. (go on his website and check the artists he worked with.. simply stunning)..

he worked a lot for Dido's brother before that (Rollo Armstrong of Faithless).. Dido's success wasn't expected at all. (it came basically thank to eminem who used that song in one of his songs..).

Buy the book.. a lot of crazy/funny/incredible stories from the 60ies/70ies/80ies.. really worth the expense.

I believe the chain was usual suspects like u87 (or 67), neve, etc.. but don't quote me on that.. on the book is written what he used, also when mixing..with reverb details etc etc..

Cheu
i think he done the old dido if im not mistaking, couldnt find the songs i listed on his credits, i could be wrong.. the videos i posted, im not sure if he tracked/ mixed these? dont believe in love, doesnt sound like neve to me? but again im not an expert on this.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Not sure about the other Dido tracks, but 'Here With Me' was a Neumann valve mic through a Neve preamp and an EAR compressor. Recorded in the control room not a vocal booth.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
Not sure about the other Dido tracks, but 'Here With Me' was a Neumann valve mic through a Neve preamp and an EAR compressor. Recorded in the control room not a vocal booth.
Can you maybe be a little more specific? Neumann makes several valve mics, and there are several types of Neve preamps.
Old 20th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
thanks for the link. yea i saw that interview and heard the song right after. recording is cool, but the ones that really stood out to be is in the 2 videos i posted above. thats the one im curious as to what was used.

Last edited by 141550; 20th February 2015 at 12:16 AM..
Old 21st February 2015
bump
Old 25th February 2015
anyone on the vocal chain?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search