The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most overrated or underrated active studio monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Most overrated or underrated active studio monitors?

What are the most overrated, or underrated active studio monitors that you have tried?
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Underrated: Equator Q10's are fantastic and do not the get press they should. Easily some of the best monitors I've ever used.

Overrated: There's a lot out there that I'm not impressed with, but usually it's price Vs performance that makes me pass on a design...however I have to say that most of KRK's recent lines have not impressed me.
Old 18th February 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Underrated: Equator Q10's are fantastic and do not the get press they should. Easily some of the best monitors I've ever used.
This is not a "you're wrong" response but just taking a moment to illustrate that nobody can predict what somebody else will like. Those Q10 and Q8 I had an extensive demo period with a while ago, and would count them among the worst monitors I have heard in my life.

Carry on.

To answer the original poster's question, the best monitors are the ones you can afford that fit your room, you like to sit in front of all day, and your mixes translate because you educated yourself in that mix position on those speakers (which is literally how translation happens, and not all the insane bull**** I read when others ask if something translates for somebody else assuming that it can be said to work elsewhere for somebody else).

War
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear
Underrated: Avantones
Overrated: any monitor above a certain price tag (I won't say how much..)
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Head

So Warren, as one fellow SC man to another, what are good cheap monitors for someone starting out who doesn't know good monitors from bad ones?
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Everyone's idea of what is underrated or overrated is subjective.

The better question for you to decide which monitor to get, (Assuming this is why you're asking) is what you can spend or are willing to spend on a pair of monitors. What's your absolute cap? Then ask someone that actually has heard many different monitors with experience that you trust to guide you towards the best monitor for you, in your room with your experience and goals in mind.

The best monitors that I've ever heard for the money are a pair of Yamaha MSP7s

The best monitors I've heard for the least amount of money are a pair of JBL LSR 305s

The best monitors I've heard period are a pair of ATC SCM150ASL Pros

P.S.#1 The Focal Alpha 80s are amazing for the money

P.S.#2 IsoAcoustic stands and a properly treated room can make your listening experience more enjoyable and accurate.

Check out Primacoustic London kits

P.S.#3 Your recording studio is only as good as the weakest part of your chain.

Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
This is not a "you're wrong" response but just taking a moment to illustrate that nobody can predict what somebody else will like. Those Q10 and Q8 I had an extensive demo period with a while ago, and would count them among the worst monitors I have heard in my life.

Carry on.

To answer the original poster's question, the best monitors are the ones you can afford that fit your room, you like to sit in front of all day, and your mixes translate because you educated yourself in that mix position on those speakers (which is literally how translation happens, and not all the insane bull**** I read when others ask if something translates for somebody else assuming that it can be said to work elsewhere for somebody else).

War
Seriously?

Huh...I found them really easy to tune to a flat response...took me no time at all.
Old 18th February 2015
Event Opals punch well above their weight.
Old 18th February 2015
Baz
Lives for gear

Not to pile on but my buddy tried a pair of Q10's after being thoroughly impressed by D5's and was willing to even part with his MM27's if they worked out and he said they were awful and had a lot of self noise.

It's probably an off shore build issue as another friend of mine has Q8's bought several years ago built in the US and they're great
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Carry on.
War
Ditto here. Did a shoot out at HOFA mastering and found them to be just horrid.

For me, overrated: soooooo many.
Underated: Sky Audio - Verdade
Old 18th February 2015
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post

I remember we had a pair of Mackie HR824 around at the time, which is a "disco smile" sort of sound that pulls the mids back for a nice sound. Switching back and forth between them and those Q series speakers was literally like muting the midrange. Electric guitars were like half volume for example, on AC/DC's "Back in Black" for one.

Ummmmmm, no thanks.

Also, that shouty horn was so annoying to my ears, the texture was too bite-y.

War
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Not to pile on but my buddy tried a pair of Q10's after being thoroughly impressed by D5's and was willing to even part with his MM27's if they worked out and he said they were awful and had a lot of self noise.

It's probably an off shore build issue as another friend of mine has Q8's bought several years ago built in the US and they're great

Did you get to dig into the room analyzing software?

After setup I found that the midrange was well defined without any phasing when I moved around the room...which let me "feel" a mix even when I had to walk over to a rack or to an instrument. Also ours are dead quiet! I didn't get any self noise issues.

The other thing was it was extremely easy for me to get a mostly flat response otherwise, so mixes translated easily speaker to speaker, no matter how different sets of reference monitors were voiced. It took a little time to get the setup right, but it wasn't hard to do.

I'm not sure a "build issue" is the culprit if you didn't have proper setup time to do this correctly. These things are supposed to measure the room they're in with that software and should not be used without being tuned this way. Also as far as I was told, our Q10's were made stateside.

Last edited by herecomesyourman; 19th February 2015 at 12:15 AM..
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember we had a pair of Mackie HR824 around at the time, which is a "disco smile" sort of sound that pulls the mids back for a nice sound. Switching back and forth between them and those Q series speakers was literally like muting the midrange. Electric guitars were like half volume for example, on AC/DC's "Back in Black" for one.

Ummmmmm, no thanks.

Also, that shouty horn was so annoying to my ears, the texture was too bite-y.

War
I remember them to be very "honky". In any case 5 engineers took part and after 3 comparisons everyone agreed not to try and compare them with anything at all.

Quote:

After setup I found that the midrange was well defined without any phasing when I moved around the room...which let me "feel" a mix even when I had to walk over to a rack or to an instrument. Also ours are dead quiet! I didn't get any self noise issues.

The other thing was it was extremely easy for me to get a mostly flat response otherwise, so mixes translated easily speaker to speaker, no matter how different sets of reference monitors were voiced. It took a little time to get the setup right, but it wasn't hard to do.

I'm not sure a "build issue" is the culprit if you didn't have proper setup time to do this correctly. These things are supposed to measure the room they're in with that software and should not be used without being tuned this way. Also as far as I was told, our Q10's were made stateside.
As a matter of fact we could not get it too work. It might have had a lot to do with the issue.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
As a matter of fact we could not get it too work. It might have had a lot to do with the issue.
Yeah sorry then you didn't really get to "hear" them. After it uses the test tone to calibrate and even gives you the ability to save a few settings while adjusting them yourself it all moves pretty quick. I also used a little spectral analyzer with it's own internal mic to measure response and double check 'em...but they go extremely flat in terms of response when tuned.

Did you call for help from customer support when your software had issues? The Q10 is not designed to work straightaway without the internal DSP being implemented.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1
Old 20th February 2015
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:

But,...the self noise?
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
But,...the self noise?
I'm not getting self noise on mine. The test tone is one thing but you have to activate that with the software.

Honestly they're great, but maybe there was quality control issues at one point? As far as I know mine were made in the U.S. since they've started selling direct. But they're super flat for the money. You just have to actually use the software and tune them.

I mean this isn't a big deal...it's more involved than "keying" a set of monitors with an onboard EQ, or external EQ...but you have to key/tune monitors for any room being set up either way. This just has onboard DSP to do that stuff for you with some manual controls to fine tune the process. I get a much more even response with less phasing right to left than I've had with other monitors as well.

I have an old small set of speakers in walnut cubes from the 70's I use kind of like Avantones...the cube shape helps with eliminating phase left to right as well, so it's nice to experience that on a larger set of monitors.

Did anyone think to contact Equator and talk to them about their issues? The customer service has been great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search