The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bus comp: Avalon 747, API 2500, SSL X logic G compressor
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Addict

Bus comp: Avalon 747, API 2500, SSL X logic G compressor

If you need to choose between one of them, which one will be your choice???
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear
API for sure
SSL w/HPF second, Avalon not even an option (so many before that
for bus comp)
Old 18th February 2015
They all they have their own sound, character and all are good. You need to learn the character of each and depending on the type of music and what you need, one will be a better option than another
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
API for sure
for bus comp)
Why not Avalon???
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
Why not Avalon???
Pillowy, slow, boring, doesn't add anything interesting (for me)
especially in the 2bus, but most important, like I said,
there would be a ton of other, better choices if you want something smoother than the other two (Api and SSL)
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Hmm , perhaps the SSL with the filter . I have one , and have used the API as well , But I actually prefer and use a couple of shadow hills dual Vandergraphs .
Old 18th February 2015
747 is for mastering not as much the 2 bus just like the Phoenix or Manley Vari Mu. Read the reviews on Gearslutz for a better understanding on its use.
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Hmm , perhaps the SSL with the filter . I have one , and have used the API as well , But I actually prefer and use a couple of shadow hills dual Vandergraphs .
Heck yes! I totally agree. SHDV's rock on 2-bus
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
747 is for mastering not as much the 2 bus just like the Phoenix or Manley Vari Mu. Read the reviews on Gearslutz for a better understanding on its use.

I will reformulate my question: I´m thinking to use a summing box, plus a compressor on the stereo output of the summing box. I´m not looking for a particular bus use like drums or guitars, I want a compressor for the mixdown of the summing box, maybe more similar to a master tool.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ezrecords; 18th February 2015 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: misunderstood
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear
lol still no avalon despite the reconfigured grammar. API. altho i think the new overstayer VCA comp is better in this genre, for less dough too.
Old 18th February 2015
Quote:
I will reformulate my question: I´m thinking to use a summing box, plus a compressor on the stereo output of the summing box. I´m not looking for a particular bus use like drums or guitars, I want a compressor for the mixdown of the summing box, maybe more similar to a master tool.

Thanks!!!
I use the Dangerous as my Summing box and then it goes to the Portico compressor as my 2 bus comp. Magic!
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Head

I use the Avalon 747 and the SSL compresor,both are very good.
The Avalon 747 is good even for mastering.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
lol still no avalon despite the reconfigured grammar. API. altho i think the new overstayer VCA comp is better in this genre, for less dough too.

So much avalon haters here
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierboz View Post
I use the Avalon 747 and the SSL compresor,both are very good.
The Avalon 747 is good even for mastering.
Javi!!! que soy el tio Fourier, que he pillado un sumador para salir de mi Protools y ahora estoy viendo a ver que cojones le pongo a la salida del sumador, cual de los dos te mola a ti mas??
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I use the Dangerous as my Summing box and then it goes to the Portico compressor as my 2 bus comp. Magic!
Yes but my summing box is the 5059, I want other colour to add to my chain!!!
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
API for sure
for bus comp)
+1
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

What's going on lately here on GS with this SSL HPF thing? 1000s of records have been mixed on SSL boards WITHOUT the HPF.. Compress lightly(1-1.5db) get the time constant right and you won't need any filter..
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
What's going on lately here on GS with this SSL HPF thing? 1000s of records have been mixed on SSL boards WITHOUT the HPF.. Compress lightly(1-1.5db) get the time constant right and you won't need any filter..
Music is changed, production methods and tools too,
a lot more bass content than before
Mixing trends changed as well and heavy compression
is used/requested more often than not
HPF option on comp is nothing new really (for ssl is)
and is just that, an option, one can use it or not
It makes the comp much more versatile
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

The 747 is a finisher, and has a far stronger eq than compressor. If you only want a comp you may be disappointed. The line between transparent and heavy-handed compression on the 747 is thin. People are practically giving them away on the used market, just try one. The tone can not be found anywhere else I've looked, I happen to enjoy it.

2500 has more defined low end and more immediate sound. Great for tracking and drum sub, but is a bit much for 2mix I thought. Still an awesome compressor.

Both will take you to very different places. I'd suggest an SSL variant plus 747 on your 2mix, add a 2500 for drums when you can afford it.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
The 747 is a finisher, and has a far stronger eq than compressor. If you only want a comp you may be disappointed. The line between transparent and heavy-handed compression on the 747 is thin. People are practically giving them away on the used market, just try one. The tone can not be found anywhere else I've looked, I happen to enjoy it.

2500 has more defined low end and more immediate sound. Great for tracking and drum sub, but is a bit much for 2mix I thought. Still an awesome compressor.

Both will take you to very different places. I'd suggest an SSL variant plus 747 on your 2mix, add a 2500 for drums when you can afford it.
I like your point of view, maybe the best way is just to try three at same time
Old 19th February 2015
As others have said the 747 is a finsher comp and with the option of turning the tube section off for a clearer sound or with the tubes on, to round off the signal in a gentle way. Love using it up to -2db to a mix along with adjusting the Hp filter. The mixes just sound more even and controlled without changing the overall sound of the mix.
Old 19th February 2015
The Avalon always finds itself being patched in on chorus vocal busses when I'm mixing ballads or soulful smooth songs. Definitely to soft for Aggressive parts like drums, unless that is your goal.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Nut

I have the 2500, the avalon 2044 and 2055. Both comps get used an equal amount of time for the 2 bus. FWIW The 2055 gets used absolutely everytime for 2bus, nothing quite like it. I am thinking of getting an ssl comp also just to have one more option but between the 2500 and 2044 I'm pretty much set. I love them boththe same and wowouldn't want to be without either. That being said if i had to pick one it would be the 2500.

Trying out the 747 is what made me buy the 2044 and 2055 in the first place. But I figured having a full comp and eq is better than having lame versions of each in one unit so I bought both. Def worth it.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Addict

I don´t understand what exactly you means with "Avalon 747 is a finisher", are you talking that something for mastering???

In that case, for example, the manley varimu is used sometimes in bus master and other times as part of a mastering chains. Some equipments are useful for both functions.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

If you are going to enjoy the 747, I think it helps to have realistic expectations and use it in a position where it will succeed.

The character of the compressor is not a strong point in my opinion. However, it is useful for minor gain control, nice sounding make-up gain, and best for tone shaping and adding that last bit of presence or air.

Most people aren't very polite with their 2mix compression these days. If you're into aggressive 2mix compression, I think you'd be better off with the SSL doing the heavy lifting and letting the 747 stick to what it is good at.

It would work for mastering, but recall would be a little tough. I'd leave mastering to mastering engineers.
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
If you are going to enjoy the 747, I think it helps to have realistic expectations and use it in a position where it will succeed.

The character of the compressor is not a strong point in my opinion. However, it is useful for minor gain control, nice sounding make-up gain, and best for tone shaping and adding that last bit of presence or air.

Most people aren't very polite with their 2mix compression these days. If you're into aggressive 2mix compression, I think you'd be better off with the SSL doing the heavy lifting and letting the 747 stick to what it is good at.

It would work for mastering, but recall would be a little tough. I'd leave mastering to mastering engineers.
The ideal way is, as you said, leave the mastering to mastering engieneers, but not all the budgets, allows to send the material to a mastering plant.

So for that cases, where some boys wants to record some demo tracks, a comp inserted in the bus master, can achieve a certain grade of mastering essence...

So, at this point I understand that the 747 is good for some purposes, that isn´t a bus master, and for example the SSL or the Api, are better for a bus master insert.
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Addict

Ok, so I´m thinking so long, about the last answer, it make me think so much, for example, if you are thinking to send the mixdown to a mastering studio, the avalon 747 is an option to add some colour to the mixdown before the mastering, but it can achieve the same results as the SSL or Api

If you need to compress in a similar way than a mastering studio do, it is better to use the SSL o the Api.

Am I right???
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so I´m thinking so long, about the last answer, it make me think so much, for example, if you are thinking to send the mixdown to a mastering studio, the avalon 747 is an option to add some colour to the mixdown before the mastering, but it can achieve the same results as the SSL or Api

If you need to compress in a similar way than a mastering studio do, it is better to use the SSL o the Api.

Am I right???
I don't think you can get a summary of a unit by a few peoples interpretations!
It may work different for you! You need it in your place to gain your own experience!
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
I don't think you can get a summary of a unit by a few peoples interpretations!
It may work different for you! You need it in your place to gain your own experience!
You´re right

I have another question, is the comp of the avalon 747, similar to the comp of the avalon 737????
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

I own the API 2500 and it a fantastic for different colors. You have several different voices, and styles of compression to choose from. I saw a video a while back demoing the unit that gives a pretty good walk through. Not the greatest program material but still gives a bit of a run through of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZEn_8s4F50

The Avalon 747.....Meh....love the Avalon 2055 EQ but I could never find the sweet spot on 747. I played with one in my friends studio and he told me that the only thing he found that was a slower compressor with less character was the Chameleon Labs unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search