The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bus comp: Avalon 747, API 2500, SSL X logic G compressor
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Well with your new ? I use the inwards connection for the summing mixer and the nail compressor by a designs for my 2 bus compressor. I love it.

The Avalon is really kinda stail for this purpose have not tried the API so I can't give you a honest opinion on that.
Old 25th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
If you are going to enjoy the 747, I think it helps to have realistic expectations and use it in a position where it will succeed.

The character of the compressor is not a strong point in my opinion. However, it is useful for minor gain control, nice sounding make-up gain, and best for tone shaping and adding that last bit of presence or air.
I agree with what you said. I use my Portico compressors for 2 bus duties, and afterwards have used the Avalon 747 to control the overall mix by -2db which controls the minor gain of a mix as you said, adding air and a gentle smooth character.
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Addict

After trying several compressors I decided to get an API 2500
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
I will reformulate my question: I´m thinking to use a summing box, plus a compressor on the stereo output of the summing box. I´m not looking for a particular bus use like drums or guitars, I want a compressor for the mixdown of the summing box, maybe more similar to a master tool.

Thanks!!!
I do something similar and ended up buying a Rolls RMS755, it has a HPF filter at 150Hz a dual release function which is very useful for gentle transparent compression and all in all it adds a nice very subtle shimmer to the top end that works very well for a couple of dB compression when mixing down. It has a very musical grab and you can get a very music and precise envelope with the attack, release, ratio, threshold controls.

I've been very pleased with the results I've had from mine on the 2 bus.

It's not a character piece like an API 2500 or a Neve but that's in it's favour in my opinion and application.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search