The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best condenser Overhead mike Condenser Microphones
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Addict

Best condenser Overhead mike

Hi folks!

What is the Condenser mic that you liked most for getting a Rocksound out of a Drumkit?
I like the KDM 184 for it´s not too bright sound , but would also consider some Akg 451´s.Thank you for anything posting you find to work well .
I´ve already a pair of Rode nt 5. And no, I´m not ready to spend more much than 1000 Bucks for a small diaphragm condenser.
Old 15th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
Hi folks!

What is the Condenser mic that you liked most for getting a Rocksound out of a Drumkit?
I like the KDM 184 for it´s not too bright sound , but would also consider some Akg 451´s.Thank you for anything posting you find to work well .
I´ve already a pair of Rode nt 5. And no, I´m not ready to spend more much than 1000 Bucks for a small diaphragm condenser.
Best? LDC? SDC? For what room? For what drum kit? To fit best in what song?

Generically for LDC my preference tends towards AKG C12. For SDC Mercenary KM69 are up there but it's always going to depend what I have to play with and what I'm shooting for.
Old 16th February 2015
I love the AT4050 for nice clear cutting cymbals without muddiness or harshness, they always sit perfectly before too much. The click of the stick on the drums and cymbals is great and they compress and EQ very well.

Im going to get another AT5040 and sell the 4050s very soon though, the AT5040 is something else entirely.
Old 17th February 2015
KM84s are my go-to for overheads if I want to go condenser. They sound much smoother and more refined than KM184s.
Old 17th February 2015
Lives for gear

I often used Beyer M160s in 'Recorderman' setup but lately changed to a Sony C-37A as mono OH.

I really dig the C37A and for the first time I actually LIKED a drum sound I recorded as opposed to merely finding it acceptable. The Sony captured nice cymbal detail but never gets harsh and snares sound fantastic through it.
Old 18th February 2015
Here for the gear
Blue dragonfly. X/Y
Old 18th February 2015
line audio cm3
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

For overheads, I am a full on Shure KSM32 fanboy. My favorite overhead mics at any price point. Also like older U87s quite a bit.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

I haven't tried anything that beats the older AKG C414EBs with the 'brass ring' capsule (though I could believe that C12s would be even better).

I'm generally not a fan of SDCs as overheads, but KM84s are not too shabby, and I'll often use them where space is tight or where there's likely to be a lot of off-axis bleed from other sources in the same room.
Old 19th February 2015
Here for the gear

I've been using a pair of a pair of Neumann Digital KM 184-D with the omni capsules for my overheads. We got them on loan from the company and they sound ****ing incredible, literally crystal clear. The best way I can describe them is a "sonic mirror."So much detail on the cymbals, but very unforgiving if you don't have a great player and a great sounding instrument. They're going back to Neumann this week, and I'm highly considering picking up a pair for myself. Apart from these, and a bit more affordable, a pair of Langevin VTL CR3A if you can track them down (no longer in production). They're a bit brighter so you're gonna get a little bit more of a colored sound. Both the KM 184-D and the VTL CR3A are amazing options, so it really depends on how much you want to spend and how hard you want to look for the Langevins. The digital Neumanns have conversion at the source with built-in preamps and limiters, and include a "receiver" that will send the audio to your interface via s/pdif or optical so that's definitely a plus if your preamps and/or A/D converters are sub-par. Langevins really shine with a nice tube pre.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

I'm quite partial to the Gefell UM70 if using a condenser overhead, speshelly mono. The drummer needs to bring the Rocksound™.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi folks!

Well, KM84 usually but there are so many options. Do you want Large or small capsules? I don't know what your budget is, but IMO the best 2 options on a budget are a pair of ksm32 for LDC, ksm 137 for SDC. Also Beyer mc930 are awesome for overheads especially in a smaller room with lower ceilings

Even AT mics are great for rock OHs.... To be honest there really is nothing that can't do the job. Look for a pair of AT3035. You can get them for $100 ea on ebay. They sound great on OH. Another budget option is AKG c2000. The preamps and converter matters way more than the mic.

Ideally you want km84 (not km184) or u87 (not ai).. but that's an expensive proposition and depending on your room it may not matter.
Old 19th February 2015
C12s and 251s are best for LDC. KM54 for SDC.

But in the world of the more budget-conscious, I really, really dig Miktek C5s for SDCs. Josephson c42 can work well for certain styles, too. They are VERY airy, which can be nice on the cymbals. They tend not to grab a lot of the drums, though.

You can also look for Neumann KM100s. Not sure how much they go for these days, but traditionally I've seen em for quite a bit less than KM84s. They work pretty well.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi folks!

if you're not willing to spend the money then why are you asking for hi end suggestions?!?

i've been using schoeps mkiv's on my last couple of dates. they sound pretty awesome with good brass and a well tuned kit.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

C12, Siemens SM204, Elam 251. KM54 from SD.Sandhill from ribbons
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I nearly always use the schoeps mk41 in XY for drum overheads.
Old 23rd February 2015
Anyone tried the RA-series from DIYREC with one of the available capsules?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search