The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RE TASCAM DA-3000 re "DSD" Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Maniac

RE TASCAM DA-3000 re "DSD"

I'm being told of amazing sound quality re the TASCAM DA-300 mastering recorder.

There is some controversy re the "DSD" technology involved.

Has anyone heard what these machines can do? -And is there other such DSD devises out there that are superior to the Tascam?

Does anyone know of other superior technology to the DSD?

-Maybe this is a cost effective (approx. $1,000.00) way to achieve a competitive edge.

Cheers,

Thrip
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

There are a number of threads about the DA-3000, but I will say the we have one and it sounds awesome. We have Prisms and Burls, but the Tascam sounds the most like direct analog. The Korg MR-2000S is a little better sounding from what I know, but we got an amazing deal on the Tascam ($600) and the SD card thing is kind of cool. It is definitely cost effective.

The controversy about DSD abounds, but use your ears. DSD was invented to bypass the lossy parts of the AD/DA process called decimation and reconstruction filters, for keeping out alias tones in PCM. Because it uses a single bit at a high sample rate, it creates a lot of noise which has to be shifted out of the audible band with a process called noise shaping. At the older SACD rate of 2.8mhz this meant that you needed an analog low pass filter at 50khz or it could potentially damage super tweeters and some equipment. At 5.6mhz the noise doesn't even begin until 80khz, so it's not really a problem.

DSD was invented at a time when most AD/DA converters used a 1 bit modulator at a very high rate and then used filters to construct the 24 or 16 bit PCM. Now, most modern converters use a multibit modulator, like 5 bit which creates a lot less noise and needs less noise shaping. People say then that makes DSD inferior to modern PCM, however 1 bit DSD does have the advantage of being strictly linear and the benefit of losing the filtering stages seems a lot bigger than the drawbacks of noise shaping. To my ears it sounds as close to the original signal as any format that I've heard. It feels natural and has an extremely realistic 3d soundstage that is most apparent on direct two channel recordings and analog mixes.

I will say, DSD does soften/smooth the sound of high frequencies a little bit. Most people like that, but if you need to record a really, really strident sound, it might not be the best. This effect seems reduced as the sample rate is increased. From our experiments 2.8mhz seems pretty analogous to 1/4 two track, where 5.6 sounds like 1/2 inch, without the tape noise, etc.
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Maniac

@ IanBSC thanks. your post is probably the best I've read about DSD on these forums.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

very good post IanBSC

what's brilliant about dsd is that it overcomes the trouble of representing a signal as binary, by bypassing the algorithms which you need for multibit pcm (which has been proven to be insufficient, many times over). so you don't need the filters which of course correspond to sample-points.

now if only someone can figure out how to write dsp for true dsd.
Old 17th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Will the DA-3000 play a dsd file at the same time as recording a dsd file?
Old 17th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
Will the DA-3000 play a dsd file at the same time as recording a dsd file?
No, it can't do that.
Old 17th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
very good post IanBSC

what's brilliant about dsd is that it overcomes the trouble of representing a signal as binary, by bypassing the algorithms which you need for multibit pcm (which has been proven to be insufficient, many times over). so you don't need the filters which of course correspond to sample-points.

now if only someone can figure out how to write dsp for true dsd.
A Gearslutz fact. In other words the content of your post is only true on GS.
Old 17th February 2015
Lives for gear

yeah i forgot the world IS binary. doink
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search