The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GML Hardware Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

GML Hardware

Hi fellas-

Hope this is the right place to post this, if not I expect a bollocking

The situation at GML Labs regarding hardware is a little worrying, I'm now having to buy second hand and I'm a little worried about the availability of repair and spare parts if the units go down- do any of you fine people have any experiences good and bad ?

Be good to know

Many Thanks for you help and time

Andy
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear
I would not think it is an issue with that level of gear. Initial design is as good as it gets, the build quality (built by Manley) is as good as it gets and no doubt the quality of components used is as good as it gets. So, failure should be rare at best, but should something happen I would think that most if not all circuits are discreet designs so repair should be simple.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

From the GML website:

Quote:
August 14th 2013

Dear all of our loyal customers,

Please let this clarify the current production status of GML, LLC products to the extent that I can.

After more than 10 years of manufacturing and supporting GML products, Manley Labs has decided to cease manufacturing GML products, citing the difficulty of doing so profitably while costs have risen significantly over the years.

At this time, it appears that there is no further inventory available at Manley Labs, but there remains a bit of inventory left in the sales pipeline, both in the US or abroad.

What’s clear at this time is that we are committed to continuing support to current and past GML customers to the best of our ability. We will always honor customers with products under the terms and conditions of our warranty, and it’s my hope that Manley Labs will do the same.

We will have more on our status and plans shortly.

George Massenburg
President
George Massenburg Labs
George Massenburg Labs
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Unfortunately you are right to worry. New GML products are no longer available.
Service has not shown to be a problem...has been performed in Nashville.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Many Thanks

Many Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

I had the chance to purchase 2 mint 2020 units and passed- bad mistake that- I doubt I'll ever be able to buy these pieces again, and i doubt even more they will be re made.

Again many thanks for your help.

Best

Andy
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

We had an 8900 at the studio for many years, maintenace-wise it was a nightmare.

For what it's worth.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Never owned an 8900 although I'd love to try one sometime- but I've owned 8200 EQs for years and never had a single issue with anything. Rock solid.

Although shipping things is probably the biggest issue with any item. If its pack really well, then things will be fine. I'm amazed at how badly people pack things, thinking they'll survive the tossing of boxes that happen at fedEx & UPS depots.

It's worth paying extra to have them double box it.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

GML

Cheers

Right , well this isn't too good at all.

We have an 8200 and not had any issues, but I've heard the VU LEDS on the 8900 are unreliable- and the fact they make no hardware and have nobody making it for them sort of spells "its over"....

I just don't want to believe it , that's my issue,I need to start to wake up a bit- they will never the company they once were....

Pity....

Thanks for everything lads !!

Best

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
We had an 8900 at the studio for many years, maintenace-wise it was a nightmare.

For what it's worth.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

GML

Yes agree 100% :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
Never owned an 8900 although I'd love to try one sometime- but I've owned 8200 EQs for years and never had a single issue with anything. Rock solid.

Although shipping things is probably the biggest issue with any item. If its pack really well, then things will be fine. I'm amazed at how badly people pack things, thinking they'll survive the tossing of boxes that happen at fedEx & UPS depots.

It's worth paying extra to have them double box it.
Old 23rd February 2015
I'm pretty sure Funky Junk service GML Andy. They fixed our 8200 EQ but did warn me it could get stupidly expensive. It didn't thankfully, but give Adam a shout if you want a no BS version of the truth on repairs.
All the best, Dave
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search