The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for something to play a Ampex 456 1"
Old 13th February 2015
Here for the gear

Looking for something to play a Ampex 456 1"

My step-father recorded some music along time ago and he is looking for a reel to reel 1" 8-track player so he can listen to what is on it. Any help please and thank you. Willing to spend the money for the right thing. Thank you!
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

I'd call Chris Mara (boy is he popular around here this week) and ask if either he has a one inch 8 track (and how much to charge to transfer your reel to wav or whatever) ...OR.... Chris may have a phone number to one of his clients he has sold an MCI 8 track to......... who could then talk with you about transfer fees.

Compared to you going out and buying a machine and a required console/mixer/cabling, the above may be a more preferable solution.
Old 14th February 2015
More cowbell!

Yeah, there are places in most larger cities that will do transfers, ideally to 8 tracks of wav files so you can explore and mess with them. If nothing like that is in your area, I'd look for an area studio that had a 1 inch machine who would rent you enough time to make the transfer.
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Addict

Where are you located? I have a 1" 8 track and the ability to bake tapes if necessary.
Old 16th February 2015
Gear Maniac
I've got a 1" 8 track Ampex in LA if it's helpful.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search