The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
THermionic Phoenix or Fat Bustard Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

THermionic Phoenix or Fat Bustard

Guys, I need your help. I watch the youtube video from the doctormix.com mastering company where they test both the Phoneix and the Fat Bustard on digital source and the results sound very impressive.
My goal is to pass my digital sounds through one of those units, but I cannot decide which one will be the best for maximum mojo and convenience.

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Regards

Sergio
Old 12th February 2015
For mastering the Phoenix, for tracking or mixing the Fat Bustard
Old 12th February 2015
Gear Addict
As this is gearslutz, someone is going to say both... That is me lol

I have both and love them! Do you compression for the 2 bus?

If not you can't go wrong with a Phoenix. I'd recommend the mastering one. If you do and your happy the fat bustard is amazing. Flavour by the bucket load.
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Fresh View Post

If not you can't go wrong with a Phoenix. I'd recommend the mastering one. If you do and your happy the fat bustard is amazing. Flavour by the bucket load.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Unfortunetly I cannot afford both. But my aim is more to give spice to my sounds to them up for the mixing.
I am doing electronica and have a ssl on the 2 bus, and do not mastering myself.
So the fat bustard does have as much flavour as the Phoenix ??
Kind regards
Sergio
Old 13th February 2015
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Unfortunetly I cannot afford both. But my aim is more to give spice to my sounds to them up for the mixing.
I am doing electronica and have a ssl on the 2 bus, and do not mastering myself.
So the fat bustard does have as much flavour as the Phoenix ??
Kind regards
Sergio
maybe get the phoenix then if you like it more than the SSL you could then sell the SSL and get the bustard, or lil bustard?

if you are already happy with your SSL and just want 'colour' or mild distortion etc etc check out the Black Box HG2, or think about a Culture Vulture? UBK Fatso? Anamod tape sim?

Another option is getting a Folcrom summer (2nd hand, have seen them for £400), and patching a coloured preamp on the output of it for make up gain. You could get a nice tube preamp, or some thing coloured from Chandler for it maybe?

There was a thread on here where a guy posted samples, one was from a Folcrom + Pacifica preamp summing combo, the other was from a expensive summer full of transformers. People were 50/50 about which one they preferred, goes to show there are several ways to skin a chicken!

Sounds like you just want mojo not a new bus compressor??

I heard a Fat Bustard and Phoenix combo in someone's studio, he was mixing EDM - I thought it sounded almost TOO dark and muddy for my liking, but that could have been the room sound, or just that specific mix - all very subjective. I do think using tons of valve sound in electronic music isn't always a good idea if what you do is more on the commercial side. I think I'd prefer the Fatso for this use.

I track my synths with preamps for colour, but have a clean but high quality mixer for mixing, then go into a coloured bus comp + EQ for mix bus. still experimenting to see what I like really.
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
maybe get the phoenix then if you like it more than the SSL you could then sell the SSL and get the bustard, or lil bustard?

if you are already happy with your SSL and just want 'colour' or mild distortion etc etc check out the Black Box HG2, or think about a Culture Vulture? UBK Fatso? Anamod tape sim?

Another option is getting a Folcrom summer (2nd hand, have seen them for £400), and patching a coloured preamp on the output of it for make up gain. You could get a nice tube preamp, or some thing coloured from Chandler for it maybe?

There was a thread on here where a guy posted samples, one was from a Folcrom + Pacifica preamp summing combo, the other was from a expensive summer full of transformers. People were 50/50 about which one they preferred, goes to show there are several ways to skin a chicken!

Sounds like you just want mojo not a new bus compressor??

I heard a Fat Bustard and Phoenix combo in someone's studio, he was mixing EDM - I thought it sounded almost TOO dark and muddy for my liking, but that could have been the room sound, or just that specific mix - all very subjective. I do think using tons of valve sound in electronic music isn't always a good idea if what you do is more on the commercial side. I think I'd prefer the Fatso for this use.

I track my synths with preamps for colour, but have a clean but high quality mixer for mixing, then go into a coloured bus comp + EQ for mix bus. still experimenting to see what I like really.
Thanks for your reply
What pre do you use ? and What colour bus comp ?
Do you also do summing OTB ?
Regards
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Fresh View Post

Thanks for your reply
Do Phoenix and Fat bustard has the same sound when pushed ?
Same sound signature of boh unit ?
Regards
Old 14th February 2015
SEED78
Quote:
Thanks for your reply
What pre do you use ? and What colour bus comp ?
Do you also do summing OTB ?
Regards
in >Revive M73 (1073 preamp clone) > P4S Bus compressor > ADM console racked EQ > lio-8

out> lio-8 > D&R Vision 19" console> Revive M73> P4S Bus compressor > ADM EQ

still experimenting - will have a valve preamp with large transformers in the mix too.
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Addict
Hi Sergio.
Both of the units have serious colour.

There are lots of ways of using the bustard and making it sound different by varying the gain of the input channels vs cranking the output. How much attitude you use also.

The Phoenix can go from transparent to super coloured depending on how you set it the inputs. You can use it in standby mode to crush things. I have a little labs attenuator after mine, meaning I can push the outputs really hard for mega distortion if I want.

Perhaps the best route is to get the Phoenix. if (when) you love it you can worry about getting more!
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Guru

The Phoenix can sound pretty hi fi and transparent with a nice bit of warmth.
To hear it in action It was used as the mix buss comp on the first Edward Sharpe record.
The Fat Bustard mixer is a similar vibe.
Pushing both does create nice warm harmonics/color.
I had one next to some Ear 660's for a couple years. The Ears generally sounded bigger/richer/ more expensive .

Last edited by RoundBadge; 15th February 2015 at 07:45 PM..
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Addict

I have a bustard...it sits idle a lot...sounds really good in somethings...but not on most...it's meant to sum you know that right?
Old 16th February 2015
Gear Guru

I've bought and sold a lot of gear in my day... a LOT... the Phoenix is the only one piece I find myself missing from time to time, and occasionally I think about getting one back in.

There's just something so cool about vari-mu compression, and it's a flavor that you can't begin to replicate with any other type of comp, so it doesn't matter how many wonderboxes you own, if you don't have an actual vari-mu, you can't get that flavor.

My favorite use for the Phoenix was background vox, it just had the loveliest squish. It was great to grind acoustic drums into as well.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 16th February 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks so much guys for your help.
I am watching at the second market. By the way, do you confirm that I would get more colour with Thermionic than with a Manley Vari-mu ?
Regards
Sergio
Old 17th February 2015
Gear Addict

Yes
Old 17th February 2015
SEED78
Quote:
Thanks so much guys for your help.
I am watching at the second market. By the way, do you confirm that I would get more colour with Thermionic than with a Manley Vari-mu ?
Regards
Sergio
You'll likely be getter a better compressor than the Manley, thats just as important.
Old 17th February 2015
Gear Guru

I always hit the Manley very lightly,needles just barely bouncing.didn't work on everything but it was great for some things.its worth a listen.
the Thermionic I could compress more without it going into mushland.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search