The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SH Optograph stereo operation? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 12th February 2015
Here for the gear
SH Optograph stereo operation?

Hey guys,

do you know if there is a way to use two mono optpgraphs for a real stereo signal?

My API lunchbox is capable of linking channels via toggle switches.
Could this help or does the optograph not support such a feature?

Greetings
Markus
Old 13th February 2015
Gear Addict

Do you have the new 8 Channel lunchbox?

I believe link on those lunchboxes mean that you can link 1 module going in to the next without having to patch it. I don't think it means link them as in using 2 mono units in a stereo fashion.
Old 14th February 2015
Here for the gear
Hey Toni,

thanks for the reply.
Yes I have the new 8 channel lb.

I didn´t have the chance to check that, but waht you are saying makes sense.
It would be helpful for creating channelstrip like arrangements without patching.

But do you know, if th sh optograph has any feature that would make it go true stereo with a second unit?

Greetings
Markus
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

I would like to know this as well. I really like the opto on the mastering comp for the occasional slower or acoustic program, but I find the VCA useless. The Dual Optograph seems to be unobtanium so what about two 500 series optographs? And are the pots stepped?
Old 14th February 2015
Gear Addict
Hey fellas to answer your various questions, the units are stepped for easy recall. Also, IMO, you get a much better stereo imaging by compressing in dual-mono than stereo-linked, which they aren't capable of to my knowledge. I have the SH Master Comp and only ever use it in dual-mono mode on my mix bus. So I'd suggest put two in your lunchbox then just match settings.
Old 22nd February 2015
Here for the gear
Thanks all for the replies,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
IMO, you get a much better stereo imaging by compressing in dual-mono than stereo-linked.
Why that?
I would think of it the opposite way.

Can you explain your thoughts?

Greetings Markus
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoustic View Post
Thanks all for the replies,

Can you explain your thoughts?

Greetings Markus
Sure, so I have a SH Master Comp and Neve Master Bus processor which both can process in dual-mono or stereo. I've just come to find, or feel rather, that when I process in dual-mono it retains the imaging better than stereo. When using stereo mode it can feel like it "hugs" the imaging. I don't know what technical reasoning there but this is one of those "feeling" type things. By all means try it out and see if you get the same feeling.
Old 23rd February 2015
Here for the gear
@ TheDawg :

Thanks for your thoughts.

I´ll give it a try...

Greetings
Markus
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search