The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue character / distortion device... Saturation Plugins
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear
Getting back to the original post (before we start listing every dope pre in the world), OP should try out a sherman filter bank for drums. Decapitator = filter + distortion, and that's what the sherman does in spades. It's on the more extreme side of everything listed, but at a price where you'll have ample money leftover for a Burl or compressor.
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
Check out Mammoth Cave Audio! I'm not affiliated in any way...just saw a post on here and their Passive Aggresive looks interesting.
Thanks for the shout out. I'm a huge fan of Decapitator on parallel drum bus. Was actually a big inspiration when I was creating my hardware. I'm not going to try and pimp my own gear, but I know people have a hard time finding a lot of info since it was just recently introduced and I keep a low profile. I'll just say that there is a pretty rough/fast demo of the Wooly Mammoth Deluxe hitting hard on a drum bus (Germanium mode can nuke a track pretty hard) here: I think at roughly 4:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr0vYQ2i04g

In the plugin world for individual tracks I still like URS Saturation. It's like 7 years old at this point but still holds it's own against the new dirt plugs. Not remotely as heavy as Decap but still pretty versatile with a good selection of sat types.

Last edited by wooly mammoth; 25th February 2015 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly mammoth View Post
Thanks for the shout out. I'm a huge fan of Decapitator on parallel drum bus. Was actually a big inspiration when I was creating my hardware. I'm not going to try and pimp my own gear, but I know people have a hard time finding a lot of info since it was just recently introduced and I keep a low profile. I'll just say that there is a pretty rough/fast demo of the Wooly Mammoth Deluxe hitting hard on a drum bus (Germanium mode can nuke a track pretty hard) here: I think at roughly 4:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr0vYQ2i04g

In the plugin world for individual tracks I still like URS Saturation. It's like 7 years ols at this point but still holds it's own against the new dirt plugs. Not remotely as heavy as Decap but still pretty versatile with a good selection of sat types.
I am interested in this unit, especially the iron and germanium 2 modes. Why is the steel mode so immediately distorted and low in level (not as into this sound)?
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
I am interested in this unit, especially the iron and germanium 2 modes. Why is the steel mode so immediately distorted and low in level (not as into this sound)?
The goal behind the Steel channel was a not-so-subtle transformer. While the Iron (Carnhill) and Nickel (Cinemag) were meant to be subtle enough for bus duties, I wanted an all out gnarly transformer tone to throw in. And one that didn't just saturate in the lows and was anything but subtle. Like all dirty tones, it works on some things and not on others. Has it's place like anything. The Steel channel is a basically two NOS smaller core transformers married together. The first is a step down, and the the second is reversed as a step up, putting a nice load on the first. Because of the design of the transformers, you'll hear a roughly 7 to 8 dB drop in this mode. For a slightly less augmented Steel transformer sound, you can use the the Output stage transformers. The second output transformer in "dual" mode is a little more colorful, yet not anywhere near what the the gnarly main steel channel does. For a more detailed description you can check the dedicated page at the website
Passive Aggressive Series |
Old 25th February 2015
SEED78
just when you think you've seen every option out there, another turns up - Passive Aggressive looks amazing! price seems decent too!

Actually - I've looked at the product several times and I'm kinda obsessed with it now!! prefer the pricing and feature set to several of the other competitors out there.

Last edited by SEED78; 25th February 2015 at 01:11 PM..
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Drive on the moogerfoogers is nice too. Esp on the filter pedal.

Colorful delays are also a good addition. Tape and bbds... With some delay compensation it's posiible to use tape echoes as distorition boxes, continuously variable speed makes for "quality and tone" parameter in that case. It's mono though.
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Drive on the moogerfoogers is nice too. Esp on the filter pedal.

Colorful delays are also a good addition. Tape and bbds... With some delay compensation it's posiible to use tape echoes as distorition boxes, continuously variable speed makes for "quality and tone" parameter in that case. It's mono though.
Minifooger delay is great! Has overdrive as well as analogue delay.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly mammoth View Post
The goal behind the Steel channel was a not-so-subtle transformer. While the Iron (Carnhill) and Nickel (Cinemag) were meant to be subtle enough for bus duties, I wanted an all out gnarly transformer tone to throw in. And one that didn't just saturate in the lows and was anything but subtle. Like all dirty tones, it works on some things and not on others. Has it's place like anything. The Steel channel is a basically two NOS smaller core transformers married together. The first is a step down, and the the second is reversed as a step up, putting a nice load on the first. Because of the design of the transformers, you'll hear a roughly 7 to 8 dB drop in this mode. For a slightly less augmented Steel transformer sound, you can use the the Output stage transformers. The second output transformer in "dual" mode is a little more colorful, yet not anywhere near what the the gnarly main steel channel does. For a more detailed description you can check the dedicated page at the website
Passive Aggressive Series |
Yeah, this thing seems really great, with lots of options for the price--that much can be seen and hear from the video. I've been using my Rupert Neve 517 pres with silk red as "finishers" on my 2 bus. I really like what they do. If this can do something similarly subtle and classy on the 2 bus (with the additional option of going crazy on tracks), it will be a great investment for those mixing hybrid. Keeping my eye on this thing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search