The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just another reason Analog rules….And tape Chris Mara
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
...unless you're into re-issues with studio banter, like on his Prestige box sets when Miles said in his trademark rasp: "I'll play it first and tell you what it is later" or "play block chords Red, play block chords"...or the interplay in the in between takes on the Coltrane Atlantic box set The Heavyweight Champion, or the Pet Sounds Sessions box set with all of the Brian Wilson hipsterisms.

personally I find that **** just as fascinating...a glimpse into history, a fly on the wall sort of deal...

I wish there were more of that stuff released to the general public...
Another of my favorite bits of banter is Howlin' Wolf teaching Red Rooster to Clapton, Winwood, et. al. on the London Sessions record. I love the last bit when he says, "Aright, let's git on it." Like it's a train. Which it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMDmSglfc0
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
What does a hundred thousand hits on Spotify get you?
Signed to a major label.
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Head

"Garage Sale" Find Has QRP Adding 13 Additional Record Presses! (Now Video Enhanced)

"Garage Sale" Find Has QRP Adding 13 Additional Record Presses! (Now Video Enhanced) | Analog Planet
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiun View Post
Signed to a major label.
So there really is no difference from when bands would just play clubs to get signed to a major label, right?
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobd View Post
"Garage Sale" Find Has QRP Adding 13 Additional Record Presses! (Now Video Enhanced)

"Garage Sale" Find Has QRP Adding 13 Additional Record Presses! (Now Video Enhanced) | Analog Planet
Finger in the dyke at best?

If vinyl were to be saved, it needs a benefactor with deeper than deeper pockets, who'd have a personal for-the-love-of, non-profit motive.

Hello Paul Allen, Jim Irsay...where art thou? (we won't call you guys dilettantes anymore if you save a fledgling and worthy cause - and the hip-hop, audiophile and retro-hipster community at large would forever thank you)

..now, about resurrecting the 8-track...

Old 10th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
So there really is no difference from when bands would just play clubs to get signed to a major label, right?
If the bands you're talking about were the bands that spent months on the road playing for peanuts all over the U.S. rather than just in their home town, then yeah.
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiun View Post
If the bands you're talking about were the bands that spent months on the road playing for peanuts all over the U.S. rather than just in their home town, then yeah.
Plenty of bands got signed without ever leaving their home town, as long as their home town was L.A., New York, Chicago, etc. In fact, my memory of that time period is that labels didn't give a crap whether a band toured the U.S. or not. They did, however, care if they could draw a crowd to Gazzarrii's or the 40 Watt or CBGB or The Whiskey.

And what do you know? By the time a band could do that, they had a following AND they could play their instruments. And by "play their instruments," I mean that they could play whole songs without having to copy and paste parts of them to get a whole song.
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Head

What the Vinyl “Comeback” Really Looks Like…

What the Vinyl "Comeback" Really Looks Like... - Digital Music NewsDigital Music News
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict

Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobd View Post
Yeah..It Looks like the rest of the Music business as a whole in that time line!!!
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict

RMGI Tape WILL carry on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
I am well versed in what can be made to supply obsolete parts and devices. I have a 30 year history of restoring vintage cars, sometimes on a professional level too. I know what it's like when a critical part becomes unobtanium and I know when the situation gets worked around by clever means. Yet as with everything made in an industrial setting there are certain things that can only be produced in an industrial environment. I've had motors rewound and have had gear clusters cut from billet. I've rewound and wound from scratch guitar pickups and other things. But some things are out of reach. The two pertaining to tape machines are the tape itself and the heads. From what I know about tape heads having been told my head pros and by having cut them apart it isn't something done without very specialized equipment and materials. Magnetic tape is really really hard to make and even harder to make well. I can almost conceive of a very small operator making recording heads but I don't foresee a home tape doping kit or even a cottage industry level tape doping operation.

I've said it before we're not at the stage with the professional decks where the heads are unavailable but it's inevitable they will be. Cost of replacement will close a lot of tape operators out.
RMGI will be Alive and well…so you know..:

"March 11, 2015

"Dear RMGI Customer,

"I want to bring you
up to date on the new situation regarding our production in France of analog
recording
tape.

"As you know, in 2011 the RMGI factory in the Netherlands
was purchased by Pyral and move to their
new facility in France. Pyral had
invested over $2,000,000 in a new building to house the coating and
production
lines. There was also over a one year supply of tape moved to Pyral to meet the
market
demands while the coating and production were being re-assembled in
France.

"After numerous cost overruns that had not been anticipated such as
the installation of a new solvent
recovery system with a cost of over $250,000,
Pyral has operated under Chapter 11 protection in 2013-

"In January of
this year the court ordered that Pyral assets to be sold to Mulann Industries.
Mulann
Industries is a manufacturer of production and testing equipment for the
credit card, ticketing and smart
card industries.

"On March 4th I meet with
the new owner of Pyral and his Sales
Director in Chicago. He has assured me the
continued production of
Analog Recording tape. Mulann Industries, with a new
management team
is committed to improved delivery time and size carefully
the
inventory at the factory. Effective immediately, Mulann Industries
will
deliver only tape with the Pyral Brand.

"RMGI Americas will continue to be
the distributor for the Pyral Analog Recording Studio Recording
Tape.

"Thank
you for your continued support of RMGI\Pyral Studio Tape. If you have any
questions, don't
hesitate to contact me.

"Regards,
"Don Morris
"RMGI
Americas

"Phone 847-812-5727
"[email protected]"
Old 3rd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
It has been my experience that if you have to wear the medium you recorded on (whatever it is) like a badge, there is a really big chance that what you recorded was not really interesting.
My experience too!
+10000000000 !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search