The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH310 vs Genelec 8250
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Addict

I have a Yamaha P200 digital piano which has the same elongated speaker as the Genelec 8351. In their newer models Yamaha went with a circular speaker, which resulted in much better sound (according to Yamaha). They spoke at length about the problems with unwanted resonances in non-circular woofers.

In some areas Genelec has been known to skimp on quality of parts, and since the 8351 is designed with compromise in mind (it's a 3 way meant for mobile trucks and small control rooms, hence the odd woofer crammed into the cabinet) I wonder if the odd-shaped woofers are a weak spot.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitzHits View Post
interested in it as well. Would love to hear more of the Genelec 8351 from owners :-)
I've actually got the 8351 on order right now. I had an two opportunities to hear the 8351s in what is about the worst untreated room you can find (a warehouse) about a week ago and the sound I heard out of those and the imaging was phenomenal. I've got the 8240's and have used them for almost a decade now. The front to back imaging and sound stage were amazing. You could literally hear exactly where the instruments were in the mix side to side and front to back. I heard the system the first time without a subwoofer and also with a sub. adding the sub sounds great but I tell you the low end extension on these you could get by without a sub they are closer to the 8260 than the 8250 in performance. But the sound stage is far greater than even the 8260.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter MacColeman View Post
I've actually got the 8351 on order right now. I had an two opportunities to hear the 8351s in what is about the worst untreated room you can find (a warehouse) about a week ago and the sound I heard out of those and the imaging was phenomenal. I've got the 8240's and have used them for almost a decade now. The front to back imaging and sound stage were amazing. You could literally hear exactly where the instruments were in the mix side to side and front to back. I heard the system the first time without a subwoofer and also with a sub. adding the sub sounds great but I tell you the low end extension on these you could get by without a sub they are closer to the 8260 than the 8250 in performance. But the sound stage is far greater than even the 8260.
Wow, Peter,

that's what I am talking about. Thank you very much for this feedback. Now you got me all excited :-)

Thanks mate,
HH
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search