The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 2500 Battery Life
Old 3rd February 2015
API 2500 Battery Life

Hi,

I've got an issue with my API 2500. It would seem that I have to replace the battery almost every half a year. Is this normal? I remember using the same piece in another studio for a few years before having to replace the battery. It's not tragic but it is a kind of a PITA to have to take it out of the rack, unscrew it and replace. Is it possible that something is wrong with the unit?

Many thanks!
DW
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

do you really need the feature to store the last settings? kind of annoying to take the unit out of the rack for that...
Old 3rd February 2015
Gear Addict

I would get it checked for any issues.
Our API2500 has been going strong for years without any issues.
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I've worked on several 2500's and I have never seen one with a battery fitted. I'm guessing most people don't use that feature.
best,
Ike
Old 4th February 2015
Engagement Manager

I've had to change batteries every year on both of the 2500's I own
But maybe it was down to the batch of 20 batteries I got from eBay
They were pretty cheap and may have been out of date

Agreed that there's not too much info to recall if you don't have a working battery
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Maniac

I actually think it's really annoying that it forgets it's settings without the battery. It's a real bummer to be working on a mix, get a sound together, then forget to write stuff down before you turn if off. Luckily it's got few enough settings so I generally remember what I was doing. What I *really* want to know is why it doesn't come with a battery installed!?!?
Old 5th February 2015
It's annoying when you start up a mix and realizes something sounds wrong. Took me a while to realize that it was the 2500. Now I know and I check everyday but it's really odd. Oh well, off to the store again. I don't have time to send it in for a check. I need it a lot

DW
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Couldn't say the last time I changed the battery. Long enough to forget. Just get the best quality battery you can, the difference of a few $£ is negligible.
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear
I've never changed mine, it has been years
I would contact API and/or change brand of battery
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding this topic. I have the same problem but not sure where to find a new battery for my API 2500 and what battery it is. I’m having the same problem with my distressor. Any help would be great
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
dsl
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willlobb View Post
...I’m having the same problem with my distressor. Any help would be great
I had the same problem w/ a Fatso.

Empirical Labs: "This is most likely a failure of a non-volatile memory cap inside the unit. You can return your unit to the factory for us to replace it, or we can send you a memory cap and let a qualified technician install it. It is not an extremely difficult procedure, but requires basic soldering skills, and a few tools."
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Yes, I think you can pop in a new battery in the 2500. Not sure exactly what type. My battery has been dead for years, so I now make sure to write down settings every time I turn it off. Same with my Distressors. Battery dead for years, defaults to all lights engaged when I turn them on. Have to write down the settings before turning off. Actually super annoying that you have to send it back and/or solder to replace it. Seems like poor design in an otherwise indispensable unit...
Old 5 days ago
Have never had to change the battery in my 2500 in nearly 10 years but if I recall correctly the board itself tells you what battery type it's looking for.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...00_inside2.jpg
Old 5 days ago
Wow - been a 2500 user for 10 years and never even realized it had a battery until today when I saw this post. I have found it mildly annoying that it doesn't always remember its settings between power-ups, but have adapted...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

What do you mean by "Don't remember its last settings"?
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
What do you mean by "Don't remember its last settings"?
It will reset to a default settings on the tone and output sections if you have a dead battery.

I'm changing it twice a year. Using the same battery brand that came with it stock.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Harris View Post
It will reset to a default settings on the tone and output sections if you have a dead battery.

I'm changing it twice a year. Using the same battery brand that came with it stock.
Thanks... I should have known... but last time I used one fairly often, I remember that I had to set those selections every time... Thinking that was the nature of the beast

Well well, I haven't used a hardware 2500 for at least 10 years... even though it has been on my "gear to check out" list ever since
📝 Reply