The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech Cl1B - Visualizing its "Warm Character" Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st February 2015
Here for the gear

Tube Tech Cl1B - Visualizing its "Warm Character"

I am new to the professional audio world, relatively, so I often rely on visual aids to help me understand my gear and mixing decisions. I recently added a Tube Tech CL 1B to my rig and so far its awesome in terms of compression.

I see a lot of people on this forum claiming that just running audio through analogue gear will add its sonic signature to the source. As any studio lab rat would, I wanted to understand what the character of my Tube Tech CL 1B, so recorded myself playing a clip of the piano part from "The Scientist" Coldplay, with a EWQL Quantum Leap Bosendorfer 290. I bounced one raw version and sent another through a zero compression setting on the CL1B. Attached are the clips and snapshots of the Frequency Graphs. (Red is the CL 1B version, Yellow is the Raw version, both taken at the 6 second mark)

Note: I did not do any additional processing to either recording. The piano is recorded through midi so it is the exact same part playing in both recordings. The only difference is I ran one version through the CL 1B with the compressor set to off. Very subtle, but interesting differences, lemme know what you think fellow scientists!

Attached Files

Piano Raw(1).wav (3.47 MB, 694 views)

Piano TTCL1B(1).wav (3.47 MB, 835 views)

Last edited by gear_pimp; 1st February 2015 at 11:46 PM..
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

It is really hard for a single line to represent mojo. I do feel that a topographical representation can shed much more light on the subject.....
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Distortion requires time domain information. Usually feeding various length sine pulses will tell you the best, every octave from 20Hz up. Use a fixed reference that clearly causes overdrive.

Then feeding paired pulses for imd, maybe a major third apart/octave + major third so the new harmonics are clearly uncorrelated.
Old 3rd February 2015
Gear Head

You get a lot more character pushing the make-up gain and level match that with the original source.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search