The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A design nail hm2 - hard threshold Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st February 2015
  #1
A design nail hm2 - hard threshold

This is a question for those of you who use and are familiar with the A Design Nail (maybe Pete is even lurking around here somewhere.)

I just got a Nail this past week and Im already in love with its sound and flexibility... but I'm trying to get my head around the hard threshold. I mean I get it, but I'm a little confused by its functionality and I want to make sure I'm using it correctly.

The way i understand it, when the Hard Threshold is in the "off" position, the compressor essentially works like an LA 2A (or 1176 if your playing with the attack and release.) And then as you go past the "off" position, Your basically telling the comp at what point point to essentially ignore or grab peaks, so the further you go clockwise, your clamping down less, right?

But then the question is... If you go all the way clockwise, isn't that essentially the same as having the Hard Threshold in the "off" position? Like if it the comp is wide open all the way to the right, then whats happening differently as opposed to being in the "off" position? Or do i have it backwards and its more wide open the closer to "off" you are?

If anyone can explain this a bit id appreciate it The user's manual really doesn't explain very well and even the guys I bought it from were a little vague on it.
Old 1st February 2015
  #2
... so its as i suspected... nobody really does know how the hard threshold works on this comp. heh
Old 1st February 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
once a roadie's Avatar
Agreed - Over the past few years I've heard several folks chime in to say where it works, and not necessarily how it works. Additionally I read somewhere there is additional interaction between the hard threshold and the HPF...anyhow, I'd also like a more systems level understanding of the control and not just the "user your ears and make it sound good" type response that is so often used on GS.
Old 1st February 2015
  #4
OaR, I just emailed tech support @ A Designs (Pete I'm assuming) so we will see if i get a more straightforward answer. If so, ill be sure to share.
Old 1st February 2015
  #5
wow talk about great customer service, Pete Montessi just got back to me with my questions. On a sunday. Here were his responses:


- In stereo link mode, Channel 1 controls both sides except gain and mix… does that include the in and out switch? i.e. does the left in and out toggle both channels in stereo link mode?

Yes

- I might have misread the manual, but I thought that, with the Hard Threshold in the “off” position, the attack and release didn’t do anything and the unit basically functioned like an LA2A. But it seemed like when i was playing with the attack and release in the off position, they were still definitely still doing something. Do the attack and release work with the Hard Threshold in the off position?

Yes

- The BIG question is in regards to the Hard Threshold. I’ve gotten some variable answers from fellow users so I’m hoping you can clarify: I understand that when the HT is in “off” mode, its just letting everything through and your controlling the comp with the threshold a’la every compressor, and as you dial the HT in, it tells the compressor when to start grabbing material, but if you rotate the HT all the way clockwise, isn’t that the same as having it in the “off” position. Don’t “off” and +15 let the same amount of information through more or less? What is the difference in how the HT is working between the off position and full open?

Think of the HT as a limiter all the way to the right you will get full compression but the HT also activates the ratio and your Threshold now becomes your gain reduction. So the silk screen is not really showing you the - on the Threshold....make sense?.

- Also i just wanted to clarify on the HT, the numeric settings correspond to the amount of gain being let through correct? (like +5 means anything over 5dB of gain is grabbed, -1 means anything over -1dB is grabbed, etc.)

If you are not using the Threshold yes. I hope I answered most of your questions. Ronan Chris Murphy has a good video on YouTube you might want to check out:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITRw-uuN0w
Old 1st February 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Bryce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraamb01 View Post
wow talk about great customer service, Pete Montessi just got back to me with my questions. On a sunday.
No surprise there. Pete's definitely one of the good guys.

dB
Old 2nd February 2015
  #7
Gear Addict
 

You know you are using it correctly when you get your desired sound from it. Running signal through and spending time twisting knobs allowed my ears to tell me how it works honestly(explaining it was a different story). Now what took things to the next level is when I started using the filter and the mix knob. Once I think I got this thing down I stumble upon new ways for it shine. Mr Montessi is the man, he will always clear things up for you then when you think you're good he'll say now try this. It's like you fell like you owe him a call back to thank him again every time. I think he does it on purpose. I have the ATTY2'D, Pacifica, Hammer, Nail and EM-EQ2 and will never part with none of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraamb01 View Post
This is a question for those of you who use and are familiar with the A Design Nail (maybe Pete is even lurking around here somewhere.)

I just got a Nail this past week and Im already in love with its sound and flexibility... but I'm trying to get my head around the hard threshold. I mean I get it, but I'm a little confused by its functionality and I want to make sure I'm using it correctly.

The way i understand it, when the Hard Threshold is in the "off" position, the compressor essentially works like an LA 2A (or 1176 if your playing with the attack and release.) And then as you go past the "off" position, Your basically telling the comp at what point point to essentially ignore or grab peaks, so the further you go clockwise, your clamping down less, right?

But then the question is... If you go all the way clockwise, isn't that essentially the same as having the Hard Threshold in the "off" position? Like if it the comp is wide open all the way to the right, then whats happening differently as opposed to being in the "off" position? Or do i have it backwards and its more wide open the closer to "off" you are?

If anyone can explain this a bit id appreciate it The user's manual really doesn't explain very well and even the guys I bought it from were a little vague on it.
Old 2nd February 2015
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by delano517 View Post
You know you are using it correctly when you get your desired sound from it. Running signal through and spending time twisting knobs allowed my ears to tell me how it works honestly(explaining it was a different story). Now what took things to the next level is when I started using the filter and the mix knob. Once I think I got this thing down I stumble upon new ways for it shine. Mr Montessi is the man, he will always clear things up for you then when you think you're good he'll say now try this. It's like you fell like you owe him a call back to thank him again every time. I think he does it on purpose. I have the ATTY2'D, Pacifica, Hammer, Nail and EM-EQ2 and will never part with none of them.
Yeah I spent a little more time with it this weekend and now that I understand the theory behind it it's starting to make more sense.

And yeah, I have a couple of P-1s, BACs and the Nail. All excellent!
Old 16th February 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
seedee701's Avatar
thanx for posting this valuable insights.

after i found a good setting for my 2bus i didn't get to experiment a lot more, which is actually sad...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump