The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2003
Lives for gear

That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics

Have someone been over at the Rode homepage and listened to their "Audio demo" ? I know is pretty low-fi MP3 (128 kb/s) but still I recognise that hard sizzle in the top end from my own Rode NTKs. And guess what happens if you add 10-15 of these mics on a live recording.....
For instance; listen to Amazing Grace. I hope it is the grand piano and not the mics, cause it sounds like one of those saloon-pianos from the western era, and the spitty vokals doesn`t sound much better either! Sorry to say that this ehh..hmmm....ehh... spitting image goes for all of the songs. It could be the musicians or the studio. But on the other hand I guess not heh
And NTK for overheads? Not here! I tried it out some days ago. -Smeary to say at least. Found myself fumbling around with EQing and compression. The drummer going "it didn`t sound lik this the last time (being a drummer who`s not at all picky either). I got up changed them into my old 451`s (I know there may be better options for OH) and we started recording.
I can`t even like the classic either, spitty & hard on top. Reminds me of an old AT 4033 mic I once owned. On vocals it was alway ppttpptt..ppttppttp.
To my ears this was a bad add for Rode. I think I`ll sell the lot...

IMHO

Someone with the same exp?
Old 24th December 2003
The NTK is still the best tube mic under $600. Now they just came out with the improved tube mic the K2. That is suppose to be the best tube mic under $1,000 or at least one of the best.
Old 24th December 2003
Lives for gear

Totally agree. I own both an NT1 and an NTK.... both garbage, that get very little use.

I recently heard an ADK mic.... dont remember which model, but the guy said he paid $500 for it, and it sounded so much better. I used to think the NTK was a decent value, but ive heard several other mics in the same price range that outperform them.

Rode seems to do a great job of hyping their products up, so everyone runs out and buys them, then 6 months later everyone realizes they're crap.
Old 24th December 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Revelation
The NTK is still the best tube mic under $600. Now they just came out with the improved tube mic the K2. That is suppose to be the best tube mic under $1,000 or at least one of the best.

....for me to poop on.
Old 24th December 2003
Gear Addict

Re: That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics

Quote:
Originally posted by SEB

To my ears this was a bad add for Rode. I think I`ll sell the lot...

IMHO

Someone with the same exp?
Yep, those dfegad NTK's are sizzyly POS with no mid range resoultion.

Kick em to the curb, fast!

Mark
Old 24th December 2003
Here for the gear

....for me to poop on.

you keed... you keed...
Old 24th December 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cemunk
....for me to poop on.

you keed... you keed...
mmmm... not too sure.

I was listening to this interview with Triumph, and the interviewer goes "so, fans of yours will really like this new album, right?"

Triumph replies "mmmmmm..... not too sure". heh
Old 25th December 2003
For those who don't like the NTK or K2, please advise what tube mic under $800 you would recommend. Every where else people have been giving high praise of the NTK and K2.
Old 25th December 2003
Gear Nut

Re: Re: That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics

Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke
Yep, those dfegad NTK's are sizzyly POS with no mid range resoultion.

Kick em to the curb, fast!

Mark
Spitty maybe. No midrange resolution? Hardly.

You can guage the quality of celebrated mid-level gear by the degree of antagonism and fear gearslutz members who frequent this forum exhibit. Its a never ending game of trying to diffrentiate the "real" studio from the project studio by the outlay for the gear instead of the QUALITY of the work. I can understand that as I have to compete for a shrinking client base just like everyone else here (the majority of whom do not know the dif between soundeluxe and studio projects) but the incessant bashing of anything that is popular amongst the project studio crowd is pathetic.
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics

Quote:
Originally posted by Critic
the incessant bashing of anything that is popular amongst the project studio crowd is pathetic.
I agree. Not trying to start a flame war, but I've long had the impression that SOME people here would dfegad all over __________ (insert any high end exotic gear) if it were mass marketed at Guitar Center no matter how it sounds.......just because.......it gets old.tutt

Concerning the NTK, I've used most of the high end vintage mics with good results for a long time, when I had to, I've gotten good results with an NTK as well. I'm not comparing the NTK to those mics, but it's not so bad for the price. IMHO.
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

No, no , no guys!

Why on earth should you opt for a TUBE- mic in this price range??!! Nothing as bad as bad tube gear- anyone tried tube Behringer....?

If I could do this all over again with the same money I would have bought solid-state mics.

In my country the shops are now selling NTK for around $500 + tax, wonder why

I don`t say they are bad for EVERYTHING. But I thing they sound bad on the things they are HYPED for (for instance vocals). I get OK results on classical guitar with 2X NTK & also decent sound on a recently recorded cello. But for vocals - no way, even in to a pretty tooby and dark UAD 2-610.

Ofcourse you get get great mid-priced gear - look at Mackie. But I would guess there are solid -state mics out there for under a grand that would be better for vocals. What about the FET-mics from Lawson, anyone tried them for vocals?

This is not about bashing popular things, it`s all about taste isn`t it? Who likes to bash the things you have bought yourself? In the end we should have bought beer for all the money we spend anayway...
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

For me an AT 4050, shure KSM 44, or whatever ADK mic I recently heard beat the hell out of a NTK.

The NTK is my main vocal mic that I own. Normally I borrow or rent something else thats for anything important... when I can fit it in the budget.

Recently I mixed something at a much nicer studio with a very good engineer, who's name is on about half the heavy records I listen to. The vocals on the project were recorded with an NTK and it was the only thing the engineer complained about tracking wise. I think in the end we had run it thru an 1176, then an api eq... into a deeser.... into a massenburg eq, then a little more eq on the console. Most of this was to get the high end somewhat bearable. The mic was about 6 inches from the singers head facing upwards with a pencil an inch from it, so the singer wasnt eating the mic..... which makes the mic sound even worse.

Maybe the NTK works well for everyone else, but I find it useless. Luckily I'll be ordering a pair of new LD condensors by new years, so I can sell the damn thing.

Thats awesome that it works for some people... wish it worked for me cause I know several people selling them off for cheap.
Old 25th December 2003
Gear Nut

The modern rock vocal is not the NTKs string point and its definitely finicky about whose in front of it.
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those who don't like the NTK or K2, please advise what tube mic under $800 you would recommend. Every where else people have been giving high praise of the NTK and K2.
Well sometimes you actually can record without a tube or valve in the chain.. Personally I would look at for just over US$1k new Soundelux U195, Brauner phantom C, AEA R84 etc Sometimes a simple Sm58 will work on a vocalists when matched with a nice preamp.
Although I have not heard the new Rode mics, the ones I have owned and used all have a hyped and funny top end.
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

Does anyone have more info on the tubereplacement for the NTK? It would been very interesting to know if there are any changes to the sound.
They NTKs are very solidly built, so nothing would be better than to keep this mics. (Kind of opposite of a Groove Tubes mic I had which almost dissolved in my hands when turning the switches
And since I`m a Gearslut (and never give up); Anyone tried the new K2, compared to the NTK?
Old 25th December 2003
The AEA R84 looks really good. I am looking for something that will give smooth vocals compared to my Blue Blueberry mic. I thinkg this would fit the bill. Fletcher sells it for $900. However I will still listen to the Rode K2 as well, can't hurt.

Hey Fletcher does the Langevin DVC have enough juice to power this ribbon mic? I would think with the gain alone, no, but with the limiter gain control added it should.
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

We`re getting some temperature here, nice

It all started with a listening to the recordings done (almost) only with Rode mics at the Rode homepage - have a listen and you can hear 10-15 of these mics used during the session.
As I wrote, these are lo-fi 128 kb/s MP3 files, but still I could clearly hear what I think is the problem, and has been a problem, during my tracking with NTK & the Classic:

The sizzling & pptt.pptpp.ppttt-sound, hand harsh top (sorry I`ve got no other way of describing it).

Listening through all of the files it seems that this sound keep coming up all the time, and I know it so well from my own recordings with these mics - especially for vocals. I`m sure that this "top end spitting" isn`t added to the mix buy the producer. I`m sorry, but I don`t think so!
Is this a good enough answer to my little "riddle" ?

Sure it can be a good mic, but to my ears not for vocals & OH.

The reason I mentioned the UAD 2-610 (beeing dark) is that I thought that it could do some good on the top sizzling. I`ve also tried them on some solid-state & hybrid preamps. But no.

Sure there are mixed feelings about the UAD 2-610, and that`s why we are attending this forum isn`t?
For my taste the UAD has worked very well on alot of mics I`ve got, but ofcourse not for every music-style. For instance with the AKG 451s for OH. But 20 tracks of ONLY the UAD and it gets pretty mushy I most say...

And Mackie is kind of a "modern time Peavey" is it not? Cheap, but it works -most of the time heh
But that`s another thread I guess...

Hey, I`m one of those guys who haven`t learned yet to use a 57 on the snare (using the AT AE 2500), but maybe one day....
Is that a good thing ore a bad thing

Merry christmas to you too Randy
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

Give the Rode pages a listen, maybe it gives a hint of whay I`m trying to say. Espec Amazing grace & the other one with a guy and a guitar.

Thanks for the visit & the compliment. Every morning we start of with some gymnastics...NOT! Actually the picture is taken with a wideangel-converter so it looks a bit bigger than it reallly is. But still it`s no problem putting 4-5 musicians incl drums in there (with amps placed in other rooms). I like to record live, & this I think is the most practical way for us to record & still beeing able to do some corrective punch-ins later if needed. It`s not boomy at all actually - the blue you see are fabric covering Rockwool & the room is a room in a much larger wooden storage hall. That`s what I call an ultimate basstrap, or whatheh
In the center of the picture you see a fridge, and if you should be in the neighbourhood feel free to come on in and taste our local heh
BTW, since we startet off with some NTK bashing (I guess it`s the fkavoer of the month), let`s continue with some praising. The NTK works really well for me for that big sounding sleazy midnight Jazz sound. Feel free to go to "Lydklipp" (on my homepage, they`re mostly demos of legal reasons) and give the track "Fiber" a listen. Guess what gives this BD sound

I`ve only tried the 2-610 and the solid state 2108(?) I like the 2-610 for vocals (with a Lawson L47MP) a lot, even on som pretty hetero Rock - check the 2 last tracks on my list! The UAD solid state I didn`t like at all for vocals so I returned it. The vocals sounded a bit too distant for my taste. And that was the first comment I heard from the vocalists also. But that ofcourse could have changed if I had found time to check with another mic.

I`ts well passed bedtime for me, se ya tomorrow!
Old 25th December 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
The modern rock vocal is not the NTKs string point and its definitely finicky about whose in front of it.
Well thats true with just about any mic in any studio!

the NTK is certainly a character thing, vibey for its purposes. it's scooped throughout the mids just enough to allow some male vocalists, who's passaggio is found in that region, to sing with more control. just like any mic, its not for all voices.
Old 25th December 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
For those who don't like the NTK or K2, please advise what tube mic under $800 you would recommend.
Why does it HAVE to be a tube mic? What about a good mic? What about two or even three great mics for $800?

BTW, I thought this was high-end? What the hell is a Smackie and Rode thread doing in here???
Old 25th December 2003
We dropped Rode, and it took a year to replace it with upper end ADK. What does that tell ya?
Old 25th December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
[B]Why does it HAVE to be a tube mic? What about a good mic? What about two or even three great mics for $800?

/B]
I want something that is going to warm up a vocal, and get a rich sound. However the AEA ribbon may be a better alternative for s silky smooth sound.. If I want just a big detail sound, there is only one choice for me, the Blue Kiwi. I
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

A friend of mine bought two ADK tube mics - A51 TC (500$) and A48 (650$). He is amazed by their sound which comes very close to very top tube mics. We are going to make a direct shootout with my U87. I may end up buying ADK flagship TT CE (around 1000 $ street price). Lenny Kravitz, Elton John etc. are said to use these mics.
Old 25th December 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Does anyone have more info on the tubereplacement for the NTK?
Look into finding replacement 6922's by Mullard, Seimans, RCA, or Amprex. I prefer the Seimans and Mullards my self. They all sound different. The Mullards will give you better mids and the Seimans will tighten up the lows. Both will take some of the hash out. YMMV, but I found quite a difference, others may not. Again YMMV.
The NTK can be a useful mic if you put it in the right place and through the right chain. It's defiantly picky but it can do the job. It hates my 1272's for instance and fights my API's.
Another thing I came across is changing the impedance and feeding it through the DI. Easier gain staging and again lose of some hash.

It's not my fave and I don't want to sound like I'm defending them, but I've gotten great results with them. Overheads being one.
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

I paid $389 for my NTK brand new about a year ago. It certainly isn't the smoothest mic around, but it's staying in my collection.

Fleaman
Old 25th December 2003
Lives for gear

a shure sm7 is a great vocal mic, dynamic, awsome sound rejection
great for rock
the grove tubes gt44 is a wonderful medium tube condenser
great for acoustic guitar (one of fletchers favs, also)
2 mics, $600-$700

play and sing at the same time!

i do not have an ntk, however, i do have 2 nt1's (musicians fiend sent an extra, thanks)
these pretty much suck for anything you want to sound good
very good for applications that you are not looking for a good sound on though, i must say

i have heard that the CIA uses vast phil specter mixes recorded ALL with rode mics for music they are piping to saddam hussein
so i guess they like them well enough....
Old 25th December 2003
Gear Addict

Re: Re: Re: That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics

Quote:
Spitty maybe. No midrange resolution? Hardly.

You can guage the quality of celebrated mid-level gear by the degree of antagonism and fear gearslutz members who frequent this forum exhibit.
Err, fear of what? Listen dude, if you find it useful by all means have a NTK party. I found it useful for one thing; a door stop.

It went back to where I got it quickly.

Everyone is different and while I didn't find a situation where I'd chose the NTK over something else in my mic closet there may be a day where it was useful. I just didn't see the point of keeping it around for that one day which may never come.

Remember, along with mid-level gear comes mid-level monitoring situations, upgrade your monitoring and you may count yourself among the NTK non-fan-club members.

As always YMMV, but don't make it into David vs Goliath which is simply rediculous.

Mark
Old 26th December 2003
Lives for gear

You guys in the USA, I don't know why you would go past the Soundelux mics. They are the best mics I've ever heard.
You all are so lucky. It's just so hard to get here in Aussie, but I got my U195...finally and it's staying with me always.

I can get Rode mic here cheap as and I've had them all...now I haven't and that suites me fine.

Nick
Old 26th December 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You guys in the USA, I don't know why you would go past the Soundelux mics.
I think were talking about two completely different price points here. Not mention different league's. Nobody's passing up Soundeluxe. My U195's are amazing. The only Rode that even hints in this direction is the Classic 1 which I happen like very much.
Old 26th December 2003
Lives for gear

I don't know why people get so emotional about this 'NTK issue'.....I agree with the 'sizzle' thing, the NTK sounds rather hyped in the upper mids but sometimes that's exactly what works in context. I got a great Guild F-46 acoustic guitar with a very full, mellow sound, great on its own but it never worked in a mix. Enter the NTK, it's perfect for that application....this alone is reason enough for me to keep it.
On a similar note, I read tons of posts about how 'hyped', 'harsh' etc the AKG 414-B/ULS sounds....it's my favorite vocal mic because it always sits nicely in a mix, it's not killer when soloed but so what?
Anyway, what really bothers me about the NTK is not the mic itself but rather the way it's advertised in the 'prosumer' world: 'Better than a tube U47' 'warm, Sinatraesque sound' 'great for overheads' etc That's all Bull****, but once you ignore the blabber you might find that the NTK is useful as an extra color.

Andi

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search