The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
That`s why I`ll sell my Rode mics Condenser Microphones
Old 12th May 2007
Gear Addict

The reactions against Rode mic's are so strong here, it sounds like that's exactly what it is - an emotional issue.

This pretty much says it posted from bcgood above : "So often, many engineers blame equipment for not getting a good sound. Mic technique, the room used and the wise use of eq, effects and compression make a great recording/sound".

Joe Chicarelli has said good things about the K2, as has Terry Manning, Bruce Swedien owns one. Hopefully I'm remembering this correctly, but Bruce Swedien also said he uses the NT4 quite a bit for acoustic guitar.

I'm happy with my K2. I've found, as with many other mics, positioning for that mic brings out the sweet spot. On male vocals, using the K2 a little off axis reduces the high end just enough to bring a better balance. But again, that's for that particular voice and application. I find it to be nice on acoustic guitar. And this is with the stock tube.

I would like to try a new tube at some point. You guys that have changed the tube, any advice/gotchas that one needs to be careful of?
Old 13th May 2007
Gear Head

Try the classic II. There is no sizzly top. I love mine.
Old 14th May 2007
Lives for gear

I've got a K2. I like it.
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

listen to "mr long sufferin" at myspace.com/plutoniclove

i recorded the whole lot in my bedroom with an NTK + a d112 for kick - there is no eq whatsoever (except at mastering) coz i used to (and still do mostly) believe you should record stuff and leave stuff as they sound in the room. i used nice instruments (i love my wurly!) but you can get a good idea about how this mic sounds - it gave the mastering engineer the willies and i think he was grinding his teeth at one point.

my K2 is quite different - it isn't a harsh mic at all (a word that can sometimes describe the NTK) - worth checking out. i am loving my ribbons and dynamics more and more though - still getting used to how lovely a nice ribbon sounds on a nice instrument or vocal....dunno if i can go back.
Old 22nd May 2007
SawSlut

You know, I've had an NTK for about 6 years... I think I got mine about a month before 9/11.... at a Guitar Center in Detroit. The first one was dead: No problems exchanging it whatsoever. The GC boys were cool with it. (Which is more than I can say for some of the local shops where I live.)

So I brought the second one home & loved it. Very creamy. Used it on a lot of tracks... vocals, acoustic guitars, bass cabs, you name it. Always loved the results & they never seemed to be harsh of sibilant.
After reading all the NTK bashing going on here at GS, I figured I must either be deaf or just plain stupid to be using it.

Then, while reading this thread, I figured perhaps I could 'upgrade' it with a vintage tube. After a little research, I found something that looked promising.... Expensive, yet promising.
Today, I pulled the cover off the mic to see what I had in there: Lo & Behold, it was a Jan/Phillips 6922!

I guess the moral of this story is to not always be taken in by what you read on the internet.

-0z-
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
The NTK is still the best tube mic under $600. Now they just came out with the improved tube mic the K2. That is suppose to be the best tube mic under $1,000 or at least one of the best.
No way. Mojave Audio MA200 $995. Done.
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The only good mic Rode ever made (IMHO) was the original Classic. Now that was a stellar mic.
i agree about the original classic. i've had one for about 10 years and think it works just fine. you can pick one up on ebay most of the time for under a grand. not bad!
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Alien View Post
No way. Mojave Audio MA200 $995. Done.
The ma200 isn't as versatile as the classic II. The rode is less colored and fits more voices and hasn't to deal with harsh sounding esses and sh's. But if the ma200 fits the singer then it make you go wow

Last edited by magnum; 22nd May 2007 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: language
Old 21st June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
I've never tried the NTK, but I have an NTV (the discontinued predecessor to the NTK I believe), and it sounds great. What's more, when I bought it second hand it arrived not outputting any signal. I called Rode, and even though it was long out of warranty, they allowed me to ship it to them and they repaired it completely free of charge and sent it back to me. Not all their products may be great, but I've got to give it up to them on the NTV, and for their customer service.
Agreed - I'd put my NTV up against most mics I've personally owned (and that's not a small amount) including some that cost 3-4 times as much. I love this mic. Perfect for most female vocal work I've done - not bad for some male vocal, and cool on certain instruments. Very smooth to my ears. I also dig the NT5s for different reasons.
Old 26th June 2007
Gear Nut

I'm happy with it!

For what it's worth, on this page you can find the latest all-vocal recordings I've made with my NTK (it's actually a K2, with cardioid only pattern), an Avalon M5 and Rosetta AD at 44.1/24.

www.myspace.com/theghostfilez

I'm very happy with it. Even though I'm now thinking of upgrading to a tlm49, but then I'll miss the tube in the chain. Let's see...

Andrea
Old 27th June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax72 View Post
For what it's worth, on this page you can find the latest all-vocal recordings I've made with my NTK (it's actually a K2, with cardioid only pattern), an Avalon M5 and Rosetta AD at 44.1/24.

www.myspace.com/theghostfilez

I'm very happy with it. Even though I'm now thinking of upgrading to a tlm49, but then I'll miss the tube in the chain. Let's see...

Andrea
Actually, the TLM49 is supposed to do some "tube modeling". I have one (and an NTV) and prefer the NTV.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzNimbus View Post
Then, while reading this thread, I figured perhaps I could 'upgrade' it with a vintage tube. After a little research, I found something that looked promising.... Expensive, yet promising.
Today, I pulled the cover off the mic to see what I had in there: Lo & Behold, it was a Jan/Phillips 6922!

I guess the moral of this story is to not always be taken in by what you read on the internet.

-0z-

The tubes that shipped with the early mics were labelled JAN/Phillips 6922. Supposedly many of the "Jan/Phillips 6922's are not NOS tubes but recent manufacture in Eastern Europe or Russia. Whatever the case, even changing that out in my NTK was an improvement. The NTK's that had these were apparently the ones pre -surface mount components. There does seem to be a difference from earlier to later mics for some reason ( I have noticed this phenomena on other RODE mics as well).

I will have to say this- the NTK is a low price point mic but its not the first thing I'd recommend to someone who is just getting their feet wet. It is a picky and idiosynchratic mic. When it it works well on something it really works well but it isn't an intuitively obvious mic.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue shades View Post
I recently did a shoot-out of around 30 mics [incl Neumann U87, various Blue and AKG]. In my opinion, the ADK A48 was BY FAR the best of the lot. I previously used a Rode NTK for vox. Moral of tale: don't buy anything without a 'live' demo (I hadn't considered ADK as a possible .. !!)

Jim B
Wow!

And I say that because I did a similar shoot-out, and the ADK A48 is hands down the absolutely worst microphone I have ever experienced.
In that blindtest, which included everything from a 47 to an SM57, the results pretty much resembled the price point, except from the MD441 making it 3 best(behind the 47 and 49, before the 67) the U87, performing far worse than price, and the A48 that came in dead last, the 57 coming in above it.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The NTK is still the best tube mic under $600. Now they just came out with the improved tube mic the K2. That is suppose to be the best tube mic under $1,000 or at least one of the best.
no sure about that?? what about theSP T#3
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
For those who don't like the NTK or K2, please advise what tube mic under $800 you would recommend. Every where else people have been giving high praise of the NTK and K2.
How about the Mojave MA-200? It's a little over $800.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Have someone been over at the Rode homepage and listened to their "Audio demo" ? I know is pretty low-fi MP3 (128 kb/s) but still I recognise that hard sizzle in the top end from my own Rode NTKs. And guess what happens if you add 10-15 of these mics on a live recording.....
For instance; listen to Amazing Grace. I hope it is the grand piano and not the mics, cause it sounds like one of those saloon-pianos from the western era, and the spitty vokals doesn`t sound much better either! Sorry to say that this ehh..hmmm....ehh... spitting image goes for all of the songs. It could be the musicians or the studio. But on the other hand I guess not heh
And NTK for overheads? Not here! I tried it out some days ago. -Smeary to say at least. Found myself fumbling around with EQing and compression. The drummer going "it didn`t sound lik this the last time (being a drummer who`s not at all picky either). I got up changed them into my old 451`s (I know there may be better options for OH) and we started recording.
I can`t even like the classic either, spitty & hard on top. Reminds me of an old AT 4033 mic I once owned. On vocals it was alway ppttpptt..ppttppttp.
To my ears this was a bad add for Rode. I think I`ll sell the lot...

IMHO

Someone with the same exp?
I've been telling ppl for years, stay away, but do they listen? What makes it more stupid is that AT40 series can be bought cheaper but ppl still harp on about their stupid Rode mics!! Idiots!dfegad Rode

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search