The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Converters! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Tube Converters!

I see converters with transformers, how much longer till we see converters with transformers and tubes?

And possibly faders!

Think about it.
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Guru

the analog stage of the A/D could be Tubes - Sure, why not .. I would still want a way to patch around that stage myself ..
Old 27th January 2015
JFC's has had an 8 channel Tube/Transformer converter for a while now and from what people have said it supposed to be the sh**. Ive personally never heard or used it so I have no opinion on it
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear
JCF Audio has been producing a TUBE D/A for a few years The DA8V |
Old 27th January 2015
JCF Audio DA8v is SO AWESOME!!! Mouth watering audio,
Also, Greg Hanks recenetly finshed up his BA-AD-660. The AD uses the unclipable tube-amplifer of the BA-660 as the front end to the circuit
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
JCF Audio has been producing a TUBE D/A for a few years The DA8V |
I see, very interesting, that tube converter looks great! I never heard or seen it.

I was imagining something along the lines of the burl mothership but not only with transformers but also with tubes that can be swapped out for different flavors. The reason I mention the mothership is because it's very high end and very expandable. There could be optional flavor cards with say neve, api, Helios, etc... type transformers so you could design your own personal DAW/Converter/Console.

Called The DAW-VERTER-CON

Have guitars and vocals going though one type of transformer/tube flavor, and maybe your sub groups going through another, the possibilities are only limited by your I/O.

Most studios today have a computer, a converter, and software. The software is amazing! it is virtually a limitless console, the majority of complaints are the sound of the virtual console the transformers and tubes will cure the sound issue and the faders will make everyone happy, because faders are awesome!

What faders?

a remote fader pack that can be expanded in groups of 8, for 16, 24, 32, 40, and so on faders, it will connect to the converters and can be used on the way in AD, or on the way out DA.

This is just hypothetical, and I see some companies doing bits and pieces here and there. A couple examples are

Shadow hills with the different iron option in the their preamps.

Radar now available with protools. "I think this will be big"

Burl with their mothership converter having a chassis that can be designed to accommodate many different I/O options in a lot of different scenarios.

Studios are like a fingerprint they are all different and they all have different needs, look at the api "the box" thread, hundreds of posts from different individuals stating the way they would of designed it. Everybody has different wants and needs. Would you like a single 8 channel fader pack with your DAW-VERTER-CON ? Or 3 fader packs totaling 24 channels of real hands on faders operating your limitless virtual console, that sounds great because you added the first 16 channels with transformers that have a fat neve type sound while the last 8 channels that you use mainly for stereo sub groups loaded with a DAW-VERTER-CARD that has the classic Behringer Euro Desk type sound!

That was a joke,

But I'm sure you could sorta understand my day dream. Basically the mothership with faders different card flavors some having tubes.

Thanks
Steve
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

As I understand it the sound quality of the JCF is really good, maybe beyond the Burl, but different. That said, I year ago I was eyeing the two up and ended up with the Mothership 16x16 because it seemed way easier to integrate into my setup.

I don't really see why you'd want converters with faders. Like input/output trim? We already have control surfaces for ITB and summing mixers with faders for OTB.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

crane song?
Old 27th January 2015
not tube converters,
but the JCF Audio More N' Less Modules have SSDA1 mono DA modules you can attach, and there is a feature of the module that allows you to connect a Console Fader, so you can build a modular array of transformer DA with processors and faders. Also, these are switchable to Mic amps. With a pair of em, its kinda like a 500 series Latte,
Old 27th January 2015
OK,
I read on the front label VALVE OUTPUT.
Do they have one that goes both ways

Last edited by puke; 27th January 2015 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: mistake
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search