Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   Trident 88 or keep my Soundcraft Ghost? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/982551-trident-88-keep-my-soundcraft-ghost.html)

Quantumphysics 12th May 2016 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz Bhogal (Post 11892206)
Hi Lemix,

2) On the Trident 88 you can set the direct output of each channel individually via a quick module jumper setting. It can be set to Post Fader, or Insert Return. We set it for Insert Return so that you are able to send to your channel signal to a DAW/recording devices post any channel insert processing and not have it go to the mix (with the Insert not engaged via top panel switch).
Additionally, you are able to see the signal going to your DAW via the Channel Meters as these meters are set to show what is appearing on the Direct Output jacks (and via the top panel channel switch you can change the meter feed to see what is appearing on the Channel Monitor Return jacks).

The Trident 88 Manual is available on the PMI website (trident-audio.com/images/t88_pdfs/trident88_manual_v10.pdf) and the channel flow diagram shows this arrangement very well.

Hope this has helped

Phew! Now I need a drink!

Taz,
When you say "we set it for insert return" does that mean if I press the "insert button" it bypasses everything and the mic pre goes straight to the direct out (per channel)

piano 12th May 2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edvdr76 (Post 10758152)
Hello my fellow Gearslutz. Just wanted to know what's your guy's take on that new Trident 88. I've had a Soundcraft Ghost in my studio for what seems like forever. Mind you, I have a lot of outboard gear, so it gets used mostly for monitoring and EQ tweeks here and there. Now my question is, should I save the money, keep my Ghost and hot rod it, or go balls out and get in to debt with the Trident 88?

I modded my Ghost to about as high a level as you can go - it's basically not a Ghost any more. If you Mod the Ghost I sincerely think you will get a better sounding desk at 1/4th the price. However, you will not get the removable channel which is extremely helpful for future mods and the like. CAL (creation audio labs) can also mod your Trident to increase the quality there too - should you feel the need.

I think it all depends on what you want to spend..... you will get the ease of a new desk with the Trident but you sure will pay some big money you will never get back. On the other hand, it's also unlikely you will get back the money you put into the Ghost either - but you will be losing a lot less. You will save a lot more money with going the Modded Ghost route.

Basically, clients see a big desk and go "Ohhhh.... Ahhhh". Most have no clue if it's a Berlinger or a Neve - unless you really point it out. So make sure you get the desk for you alone. Just my opinion.

Glenn Bucci 12th May 2016 01:20 PM

The new Trident looks really nice. Perhaps not as flexible as the Audient 4816 but the transformers added to the 88, it would have a little more character which may appeal to many.

Taz Bhogal 12th May 2016 04:59 PM

Hi Lemix

That is correct. Your Direct Outs will always be fed post preamp gain regardless of whether you have the insert switch pressed/or not on the channel. The Insert On switch on the panel just brings the insert path into circuit.

To clarify even further; The Insert is switchable pre/post the EQ (via a top panel switch) and by default this is always post Insert. So since you select the Direct Out to be fed Insert Return (via selection jumper on each Channel board), not only will you have Preamp but also channel EQ feeding your DAW always.
Additionally, if you wanted only to send the dry preamp to your DAW, you could switch the EQ post Insert and have just the preamp signal going to the DAW with no EQ, and your mix can include the Channel EQs

Hope this clarifies some more.

Taz Bhogal 12th May 2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantumphysics (Post 11893269)
Taz,
When you say "we set it for insert return" does that mean if I press the "insert button" it bypasses everything and the mic pre goes straight to the direct out (per channel)

No, what I meant to say is that the insert return signal will always feed the direct out, regardless of the insert switch on the panel.

The insert feed is always post the preamp, and the EQ can be switched pre or post the insert feed (via panel switch). So if you have the EQ before the Insert, then (in this setup) the direct out feed will be post preamp and post channel EQ.

We have given the option to have the direct out being set to Insert return, so you can also plug additional external processing into the channel insert and it would effect what goes to you direct out too (signal to your DAW, in this setup).

Again....it is much easier then it sounds. The manual is available with the channel flow diagram on the PMI Audio website which shows the simplicity of it.

lemix 19th May 2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz Bhogal (Post 11894405)
So since you select the Direct Out to be fed Insert Return (via selection jumper on each Channel board), not only will you have Preamp but also channel EQ feeding your DAW always.

That is awesome and many thanx again Taz kfhkh
As I am in charge in a full scale Broadcast room redesign there are so many other objectives I have to meet, your answer helped me out a lot !

Just to summarize the Trident board's role :
* I'll have mic preamp gain control/channel EQ ( never use other insert points in this installation ) showing up on balanced direct outs, without any relation of the setting of channel 100mm faders or bus assignments.

* I'll have full real time live mix going on all 32 channels ( long throw faders ) to my 2 mix bus/meters and monitor outs at the same time .

Yes, that's how it should be and that is what I need for this setup.

Just one last Q: is the board shipped out of factory with what exact jumper setting for the direct out connectors ??

Thanx again,

Justin Hyatt 20th May 2016 11:25 PM

The input module default jumper settings for the direct outputs are Post Fader.

If the request is made during the build of any board we can always change these for you.
Like Taz said, changing it in the field is terribly simple. Pull the module, move the jumper.
Here's a direct link to the manual as well.
http://www.tridentaudiodevelopments....manual_v10.pdf

Jason rocks 13th September 2017 01:00 AM

I heard this unit and I love it. Best mixer under 20k. I would get a 16 channel with 14 channels with the Lundal transforemers. They add a little weight like the Portico pres do. Great mixer boing

alanhyatt 13th September 2017 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason rocks (Post 12845242)
I heard this unit and I love it. Best mixer under 20k. I would get a 16 channel with 14 channels with the Lundal transforemers. They add a little weight like the Portico pres do. Great mixer boing

Thanks Jason,

Everyone who has bought one of the Series 88 consoles are extremely happy. Yellow Dog in Austin Texas, replaced their API 1608 with a 32 input Series 88, and they say they like it better. Of course we make no such claim, outside of the 88 is an amazing sounding console, and for the money, there is not another console in that price point that offers what the 88 does...and its new, not used!

We have been doing quite well, and still building in the USA!!!!!

LouisMargell 22nd November 2018 06:40 PM

Bourns Faders

Hi, here is the link > Slide Potentiometers

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemix (Post 11890753)
Hi Alan,

I was trying a search on these Bourns faders without a single result .

Yes I wasn't quite specific on my intended use. My post went on late yesterday after a few glasses :facepalm:

This would be for a suggested install at one one of my clients broadcast TV studio to supply FOH audio feeds ( 20-30 mic splits ) live to the video control room. I want these on the long throw channel faders. Mixing live to picture if you will..
They need to be in my audio room monitors and on the master out meters.
Feeding a distribution amp.

At the same time I am recording to DAW for future mixing. The only thing I need there is a simple send control so I can glance at the AD converter and DAW input meters.
I do not need to hear this feed in the monitor at this moment.
Both of this paths should be post full channel EQ.
As far as I can visualize this is only possible by feeding out from the channel inserts and setting mic pre gain to my converters.
How else would it be possible ?

This is all live. On all 32 channels . Setup and soundcheck time is minimal.
There are no dual "vertical" faders in this design like in some older consoles I'm used to.

One other thing...I don't need or want to use the eight subgroups in this situation. They need to be designated for 3 other DAW operators monitoring when they edit.
And I don't want to them to touch the channel IO functions, as they will be mostly set up and leave alone.
I have full comprehensive patchbays to accommodate FOH changeovers.

Phewww..that was long, sorry.

The Trident 88_32 is going into my budget proposal this month.

Many thanx Alan kfhkh

BTW ( off topic) Is Justin your brother ?

alanhyatt 22nd November 2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisMargell (Post 13646396)
Hi, here is the link > Slide Potentiometers

Hey Louis,

Anything we can do to help you, just let us know. Justin Hyatt is my son! He has been running the company for a while now. I am still very active but have cut my time back.

I assume you have our contact information. Taz Bhogal, our electronic designer frequents this as well, and he can be a big help to you also. He can be reach at [email protected]

Taz was head of electronic design at Trident in the early 80's for many years, so he has a good handle of what Trident is. Justin can help, as well as myself... So feel free to ask anything as we are happy to help...

6_Three 22nd November 2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanhyatt (Post 13646602)
Hey Louis,

Anything we can do to help you, just let us know.

OK... What happened to the
dynalux compressor?

BlkDogRec 22nd December 2018 03:21 AM

Hey everybody. I’m a VERY proud new owner of a Trident 88-16 decked out with Lundhals on all of the preamps and the main outs. I did my first mix on it this week (and did an a/b to an itb mix), and I’d just like to throw into this thread that I am FLOORED by this console! I have a small home music and audio production business in Nashville, and I record a lot of local independent artists. I’ve gotten to work previously on Neve 8058s, API Legacys, SSL 4000s, Dualitys, so I know the sonic imprints of these boards, and I truly think The Trident is a dark horse console (no joke intended with George Harrison having recorded at Trident)... I honestly might like it better than every one of the aforementioned consoles. It’s got ALL of the qualities I prefer sonically... Less pillowy and more open top end than a Neve, yet sweeter and more harmonically “lush” than an API, and MUCH FULLER and richer than an SSL. The 80C eq is also VERY easy to get a good sound from. Just putting them in the circuit gives a liveliness and jauntiness to the upper mids and highs, actually not dissimilar to a 1073 or 1081 eq. For guitar players, the console kind of reminds me of the same things I will always love about a classic, original Vox AC30... You just plug in and everything sounds lively and gorgeous! And like the Vox, just nudge it into the red a bit, and it really SINGS!

My background since studying Music Production and Engineering at Berklee College of Music has been mostly in the rock/pop/americana genres, and occasionally country. I’ve toured with my own classic rock influenced band and love helping other local artists in their development and sound. I’ve also been lucky to get to work with and learn from some amazing grammy-winning engineers in the past and have gotten to pre-mix some tracks finished by Michael Brauer.

I spent the past 4 years in my private studio using a hodgepodge of outboard preamps and gear and was mixing mostly in the box. I felt like I just wasn’t being WOWd by my mixes at home the way I used to be when I got to use a high end console. Then I mixed on the 88... So much headroom, such perfect euphonic harmonic content, punch, width, depth, 3Dness... It’s a beast! I believe it deserves to become a “classic.” I’m extremely excited about the Trident and can’t wait to start sharing what I do with it, and be assured, I will. I think many of the samples I’ve heard online thus far don’t do it justice. It deserves to be heard in all its glory, so I will share as I’m able.

In the meantime, I’d just like to thank Alan, Justin, Taz, and everyone at Trident. Music is something universally transcendent and beautiful in this world. You guys have managed to build a desk that has some of the same magic that made my favorite records sound so euphonic... what made them so important to me. It really has that X factor!

burns46824 31st May 2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Hey Louis,

Anything we can do to help you, just let us know. Justin Hyatt is my son! He has been running the company for a while now. I am still very active but have cut my time back.

I assume you have our contact information. Taz Bhogal, our electronic designer frequents this as well, and he can be a big help to you also. He can be reach at [email protected]

Taz was head of electronic design at Trident in the early 80's for many years, so he has a good handle of what Trident is. Justin can help, as well as myself... So feel free to ask anything as we are happy to help...

Alan -

Any plans to add an automation system to these boards?

alanhyatt 31st May 2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burns46824 (Post 14012110)
Quote:

Hey Louis,

Alan -

Yes, it is all in progress, and better than we originally thought. We can't release the info just yet, but it will be available, and can be retrofitted at any time...

alanhyatt 31st May 2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Alan -

Yes! It is in progress, and can be retrofitted at any time.

alanhyatt 31st May 2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Alan -

Yes, in the works. It can be retrofitted in the field as well...

burns46824 31st May 2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanhyatt (Post 14012182)
Yes, in the works. It can be retrofitted in the field as well...

Any time estimate as to when that will be done? Also curious about general cost for a 24 channel and 32 channel board for retrofitting.

alanhyatt 31st May 2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burns46824 (Post 14012204)
Any time estimate as to when that will be done? Also curious about general cost for a 24 channel and 32 channel board for retrofitting.

As soon as I can release this info I will. We have been working with another well known manufacturers automation system and working on the license agreement.

TexaCali 17th January 2020 11:04 AM

Any updates on the automation?

I have a GSR-24M that has served me well, though I'd love upgrade to the 88....IF it had automation. I've even pondered 3rd party solutions like Fadermate, but want to see the Trident system.

cyborgssc 17th January 2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaCali (Post 14464403)

I have a GSR-24M that has served me well, though I'd love upgrade to the 88....IF it had automation. I've even pondered 3rd party solutions like Fadermate, but want to see the Trident system.

I talked to Justin yesterday at NAMM. They have the automation for the 88 ready now and are exhibiting it at the show. Looks pretty good. I have a 78 and he said that will require a complete replacement of the channel bucket metalwork since the faders are part of the 4 channel metal. The faders on the 88 are independent from the channel strip and are therefore easy to replace.

I did not ask about pricing for the automation on the 88, perhaps Justin will chime in here.

TexaCali 18th January 2020 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgssc (Post 14464616)
I talked to Justin yesterday at NAMM. They have the automation for the 88 ready now and are exhibiting it at the show. Looks pretty good. I have a 78 and he said that will require a complete replacement of the channel bucket metalwork since the faders are part of the 4 channel metal. The faders on the 88 are independent from the channel strip and are therefore easy to replace.

I did not ask about pricing for the automation on the 88, perhaps Justin will chime in here.

Very cool. Wish I could make it down there, but not gonna happen this year.

Any photos, info on how it works (midi to DAW, stand alone, etc), that you can share would be great. I'm sure the Trident folks are all slammed with the show, but hopefully we will get an update here from one of them soon.

alanhyatt 18th January 2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaCali (Post 14464403)

The automation is up and running at NAMM. A lot of people have been by to play with it. I will post some photos as soon as I can, but we have been swamped at the show...

Right after NAMM we will announce the final pricing.

alanhyatt 18th January 2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaCali (Post 14467387)

Any photos, info on how it works (midi to DAW, stand alone, etc), that you can share would be great. I'm sure the Trident folks are all slammed with the show, but hopefully we will get an update here from one of them soon.

https://www.facebook.com/tridentaudi...type=3&theater

cyborgssc 18th January 2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Since it's not ready for the 78 yet, I didn't push Justin for too many details. I also didn't take any pictures myself, but Trident did post a photo on their Instagram, link here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7brWbUhOai/

alanhyatt 18th January 2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Here is a preliminary guide for TriMix.... More info will come soon.

alanhyatt 18th January 2020 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanhyatt (Post 14468462)
Here is a preliminary guide for TriMix.... More info will come soon.

Sorry, here is the file

TexaCali 18th January 2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanhyatt (Post 14468466)
Sorry, here is the file

Awesome! This also addresses my biggest gripe with the 88, lack of SIP! Looks like an awesome system. Can't wait to see more photos, pricing, etc. Looking very promising!

GwinnerStudios 19th January 2020 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just had CAL fully mod my Ghost and they also moved phantom power switches to the front side of the meter bridge.

Worth every penny.

Maybe 7500 all in.

chrischoir 19th January 2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwinnerStudios (Post 14470505)
I just had CAL fully mod my Ghost and they also moved phantom power switches to the front side of the meter bridge.

Worth every penny.

Maybe 7500 all in.

nice boogie amp, late 70s?