The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann Solution-D Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2003
Gear Addict

Neumann Solution-D

Anybody else tried these?

I borrowed a stereo pair of Solution-D 's from my dealer. And I think they are great - especially for natural, acoustic recording. I haven't got a decent vocalist in front of them yet though.

I used it at both 48 and 96kHz.
I chose the omni pattern for both sessions. I also used the internal gain, limiter and the peak limiter.

my basic Description ;
super quiet - fabulous sound
transparent - smooth - clean
Slightly brighter than absolutely neutral.
Actually they sounded neutral to me -
But the documentation shows them to be brighter than reality and I believe that.

The remote control is great and works well on a Mac.
I initially wired it with all AES-EBU cable - which worked great.
But running the cabling from the mic works over analog snakes well.
It was slightly better to run them over all digital cabling - if only because that reduced interference to nearby analog signals.
I had to reroute my ribbon mics to not share a snake with the solution D's because I could hear the data transmission on the ribbon mic channels.

Some links :

http://www.neumannusa.com/pages/prod...hone=SolutionD

http://www.audiomedia.com/archive/re...02-neumann.htm
Old 24th December 2003
Cool report!

I just heard em with headphones at an AES show a few years back...

Old 24th December 2003
Lives for gear

It's probably just my own paranoia, but I don't particualrly want my mics to be reliant on any built in converters, no matter how stunning they sound at this time. I'm just afraid that the advances in converter technology are occurring so rapidly that Solution D will rapidly become Solution O (for "obsolete").

I noticed that the guy who won Neumann's big contest last year had a choice between a Solution D system and a matched pair of M149's, and he chose the M149's. I'm guessing I would have done the same thing.
Old 19th September 2009
Here for the gear

I've owned a pair for 3 years and used them extensively in every imaginable situation. I love them. They sound incredible. 3 dimensional, open, clear, quiet, rich, and yes... Warm. I find that I will often add high end in a mix. More-so than with a U87 for instance. But the high end is always there to grab.

As a producer/engineer/player/singer/percussionist/programmer/coffee getter as so many of us are these days, the workflow advantages of saved onscreen settings are phenomenal. I have saved settings for every singer in every room that's ever used them, Leslie cab, acoustic guitar, nylon guitar, tambourine, drum overhead, XY loud, XY quiet.... You get the idea. It's fast to work with. Not to mention things like punching in a vocal you tracked last year and matching the sound instantly.

I honestly can't think of a downside to these other than the price and the fact that, being digital, they are subject to eventual obsolescence. I suppose that could be considered a big one, depending on how long it takes for their resolution to become outdated. I think it will be a very long time. Also, some clients have a negative emotional reaction to the words "digital" and "mic" being used to describe the same item. However, they almost always choose the D 01 in a blindfold test.

The reason I got them in the first place was purely practical; I was running PT LE and did not have the 5-10k to get HD. Price out a pair of killer mics, a pair of killer pres, a killer converter, killer clock.... Suddenly these things become affordable. Plus I did get a VERY good price.

Now, having testified my love for them, I will also say that I want to sell mine. The reasons are entirely financial and have nothing to do with wanting to get something better. In fact, I half hope they do not sell (and it is not an easy sell) because I will then simply continue to have and use a pair of incredible mics.
Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Turpin View Post
Anybody else tried these?
I did on piano, in comparison with the M 149. I was much impressed by how much the D-01 sounds true.

Neumann D-01 vs. Neumann M 149

Edit: track 1 is Neumann M 149. Track 2 is Neumann D-01.
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann Solution-D-d-01-m-149.jpg  
Attached Files

1.mp3 (7.65 MB, 1528 views)

2.mp3 (7.65 MB, 1586 views)

Last edited by didier.brest; 13th March 2015 at 10:14 PM..
Old 19th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
I did on piano, in comparison with the M 149. I was much impressed by how much the D-01 sounds true.

[/IMG]
Didier, first of all thank you very much for your work and the files !

I think 1 are the M149 mics, and file 2 are the Solution D-01 microphones.

Although I love and own also a M149, I think the track 2 is a little better.
Not much different, but a clearer resolution, and transported more transients.

Btw, splendid playing !

My two Cents...

R.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
I think 1 are the M149 mics, and file 2 are the Solution D-01 microphones.
Rolf, you are right !

I also prefer the D-01 track.
Old 19th October 2014
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Rolf, you are right !

I also prefer the D-01 track.
For comparisons like this it would be always helpful which pattern was used.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
For comparisons like this it would be always helpful which pattern was used.
Both mics were set in cardioid.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

Good test. Yeah the Ds sound great.
Old 7th July 2016
Here for the gear

matched pair

Does anyone have some Neumann D-01 they want to sell? I'm particularly looking for the Solution DS matched stereo pair. But I'll entertain options.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search