The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TLM 102 vs C414?
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

TLM 102 vs C414?

I have owned many C414EB (nylon ring) in the past. Pretty much bland but perfect for so many sources. I've since sold them all and stopped recording. I'm back. Looking to record acoustic among other instruments. I have not heard the TLM 102. How does it compare to the C414? ( I have owned the TLM103 if that helps). Your input or recommendations are welcome.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

The 102 is tonally smoother than the 103 and doesn't share the 3.5K rise continuing into the 16K range as the 103. ... but between the 102 and C414 there are solid reasons to choose a 414. Like the extra features that the 102 doesn't have --- different patterns, roll off, -10 & -20 pads. If you look around for an older C414 B-ULS you can find them in the TLM102 price range. And tone wise the 414 is going to be similarly flatter than a 103, comparable to the 102. So you'll get similar tonal qualities plus the extra variables with the 414.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Maniac

Thanks. That was a great explanation and recommendation.
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
The 102 is tonally smoother than the 103 and doesn't share the 3.5K rise continuing into the 16K range as the 103. ... but between the 102 and C414 there are solid reasons to choose a 414. Like the extra features that the 102 doesn't have --- different patterns, roll off, -10 & -20 pads. If you look around for an older C414 B-ULS you can find them in the TLM102 price range. And tone wise the 414 is going to be similarly flatter than a 103, comparable to the 102. So you'll get similar tonal qualities plus the extra variables with the 414.
This is a great description of the differences. I also would choose an old C414 B-ULS over a TLM 102. I also used to think the older C414s were bland, but I've really developed an appreciation for darker or more neutral mics over the past few years. They are much easier to EQ to taste -- as long as the mic's self-noise is not high, it's easy to add sheen later, but it's hard to take it out from a mic that was bright to begin with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search