The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
telefunken/neumann EQs Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

telefunken/neumann EQs

hi there, any of you are using them?

What are they good at?

i'm particulal
ry thinking of the w395 and w495.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
hi there, any of you are using them?

What are they good at?

i'm particulal
ry thinking of the w395 and w495.

Cheers
We have similar ideas. Also - what about Neumann PEV ?
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

I use Siemens-, Neumann- and BFE/Filtek-EQs, they all sound very good even at strong boosts. The Tele 695 eqs have a cool, fat lowendpunch. I guess hestudiotechnik.de restored some PEV "germanium" eqs, which were from the neumann vinyl-mastering-console, very sweet eqs.

Andreas
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
I use Siemens-, Neumann- and BFE/Filtek-EQs, they all sound very good even at strong boosts. The Tele 695 eqs have a cool, fat lowendpunch. I guess hestudiotechnik.de restored some PEV "germanium" eqs, which were from the neumann vinyl-mastering-console, very sweet eqs.

Andreas
The only question is whether these are still useful besides the top modern ones, like Gyraf, Ibis etc. and could bring something yet different and better or having them could be a bit redundant.
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Ivo, I can't answer you this question, I'm not familar with the Gyraf and Ibis eq. I also think it is a personal preference thing. For sure the Gyraf and Ibis are more versatile as they have more bands and more frequencies. If you like you can post a track you are familar with and I tweak a bit around with some broadcast eqs, so that you can get a picture.

Andreas
Old 9th December 2006
Hi Ivo,

i have an Ibis and wait a G14... heh
and have the luck to have some different german eqs modules

i use them in the signal path just for a little touch of colour, i change them according to taste, according to the music (in mastering use of course). but the pea are most of the time in the chain even at 0db

the Neumanns,
there are a lot of different kinds with different colours,
they where usually coming from lathe mastering consoles where they was by 4
2 for preview 2 for program
all have very different designs
they're usually +24V exepting the Oev in +15 -15 V
they are of course all stepped but with usually +- 2 4 6 9 15 db
what is not very handy for mastering task, (some can be modified)
but they usually got an incredible sound at high settings
especially the Pea, w495, oec, and i guess oev too for the one i know.
the PEV are passive, they're the sweatest eqs i've heard the bass is large and creamy, (not usefull on all music), mediums and highs are really outstanding, soft and silky
it's not the same touch at all than the ibis clean and precise...

the well known w495 is the cleanest, and fits quite well with the ibis, it gives the sound a bit of agressive touch, bass shelf is the best i've heard, and monstruous at high settings,
the Pea are on the same side but little bit more coloured,
i wait a pair of Oev that i will coment latter...

with the neumann there are also the TFK/siemens/tab
the w395 are a bit less colourfull than than the PEV, the bass is tight and firm, the highs are silky too but more precise than the PEV
the most recent version, the Ant w696 are extremly clean but with this typical TFK silky top end

The WSW 's eqs (a sister company of siemens / tfk in austria ) are extremly rare, they are the most colourfull, very old too, germanium eqs from the late 60's

you can also found some Filteks, the mk3 are very good, very "agressive sounding" eq

all these eqs have all great different touchs and the best as usuall is to try them ... to found the good one that fit to your taste heh
but be carefull all need good servicing, that the one going on ebay usually are not...

i would recomend a great tech for these,
Matthias Flache from www.vintagecity.de
a great person, and great tech,
he isn't one more vintage seller,
he take very good care to everything he sells / repair
and he knows all these eqs very well

cheers

fred
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

We have four Siemens w295b's and two Neumann TEVa's (same as PEV, but with different power requirements).

The Neumanns are cleaner than the Siemens. They are both very broad and soft eq's, though. It's hard to make something sound offensive.
I use the Siemens more, just because they are more fun to use, I think. They are pretty dramatic.
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Very nice underprized tools...
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

I was just using my W395As the other day, and enjoying them very much. Even flat, they have a bit of an excitement to them. The only thing I wish is that the gain steps were (or could be switched to be) smaller than the 2 & 3dB they are now, as it could make them a bit more useful for subtle mix enhancement.

As they are, I still love them on drums, pianos and acoustic guitars, among other things.

-dave
Old 10th December 2006
Gear Addict

Actually my buddy swears buy his Siemens EQ!
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
Hi Ivo, I can't answer you this question, I'm not familar with the Gyraf and Ibis eq. I also think it is a personal preference thing. For sure the Gyraf and Ibis are more versatile as they have more bands and more frequencies. If you like you can post a track you are familar with and I tweak a bit around with some broadcast eqs, so that you can get a picture.

Andreas
Hi Andreas, thank you very much for your kind offer, I would love to hear that. I will send you a PM soon.
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
Hi Ivo,

i have an Ibis and wait a G14... heh
and have the luck to have some different german eqs modules

i use them in the signal path just for a little touch of colour, i change them according to taste, according to the music (in mastering use of course). but the pea are most of the time in the chain even at 0db
Hi Fred,

thank you very much for lot of great information. Looks very tempting. Within this high end and most "esoteric" sound alchemy (which I love), all these special "secret" tool are very much welcome and enjoyable. If you could select only one of those to add something very special when needed, which one would you choose ? Neumann PEV ? (BTW - is "filtek" the same thing ?)

Anyway, let us wait till you get G14 heh Then, please, let me know whether all these Neumanns etc. can still add something special. If yes, I am going for one of them ...
Old 11th December 2006
I should receive the g14 and a pair of Oev at the same time, in 2/3 weeks
i'll tell you what's the best association
but i guess it'll be a pair of W495b, Oev or Pea, as the color side will be covered with the g14.
Old 11th December 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=livingstone;1012787
but i guess it'll be a pair of W495b, Oev or Pea, as the color side will be covered with the g14.[/QUOTE]

G14 is actually not that much coloured. Beautiful, euphonic, but rather clean ...
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
I should receive the g14 and a pair of Oev at the same time, in 2/3 weeks
i'll tell you what's the best association
but i guess it'll be a pair of W495b, Oev or Pea, as the color side will be covered with the g14.
Hi,
So what is your conclusion many years later?
Thanks
Old 28th October 2018
Woawe ! 12 years later !
My conclusion is that i still used neumann eqs and still use them, but sold the g14 9 years ago and never looked back
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Aha!!! Thanks for the feedback
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

..and we have since fine-tuned the G14 design to be slightly more coherent in the low octaves..

Jakob E.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search