The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to choose - Amphion one15 or Neumann KH 120a Studio Monitors
Old 21st January 2015
  #1
Here for the gear
 

What to choose - Amphion one15 or Neumann KH 120a

I have read and read, and now my eyes are bleeding. I am getting a new pair of near fields, either Amphion or Neumann. Is it anyone out there that have actually tried these monitors side by side that can help me choose?

Both speakers seem to translate mixes well, and seem non fatiguing to listen to hour upon hour. Is there anything in your experience that sets one of these speakers apart from the other - please let me know!

(I also want something I can enjoy listening to, not only to go surgical on the music).

Thanks a lot, and sorry for yet another vs!
Old 21st January 2015
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Oskari J.'s Avatar
 

I own the one15 and have heard both the old o110 and kh120. I don't consider them to be in the same class. The one15 are incredible. Small monsters!

However, I can not tell you anything about translation with the neumanns. I would assume it to be good since they are nicely balanced speakers.

One15 are clear as day, super punchy, intuitive to work on.
Old 22nd January 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
lionheart's Avatar
Would like to know this as well
Old 18th July 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
midmost's Avatar
I give this a bump .. because I am interested as well.
Wondering if the Amphions were a upgrade from my KH120 which I already have?
Old 18th July 2015
  #5
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Both are excellent monitors, but the Amphion is a lot more expensive when you factor in the required amplifier.

That puts it in the same ball-park as the KH310A and the ME-Geithain RL906.

The RL906 is what I went for when I upgraded from my old O110D.

At the £1k price bracket, then the KH120A is, IMHO, the best around.

When you go to the £2k range, then the ME-Geithain RL906 is the one to look at in the small size (like the KH120A size) and the KH310A and Amphion One15 in a larger size.

SOS reviews:-

Amphion One15

Neumann KH 120

Neumann KH 310

ME-Geithain RL906
Old 18th July 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
midmost's Avatar
I was just wondering if the Amphion have more headroom, can go louder then the KH120 and have more bass?
Old 18th July 2015
  #7
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
I was just wondering if the Amphion have more headroom, can go louder then the KH120 and have more bass?
Look at the specs:-

Neumann KH120A = 52Hz
Amphion One15 = 49Hz

very close, there is 3Hz between them.

In full space the KH120A has a maximum SPL of 105.1dB

The Amphion will depend on the amplifier you choose.

KH120A frequency response:-


Amphion One15 frequency response:-


The KH120A has a very smooth response down to 52Hz - the Amphion One15 is less smooth but relatively flat down to 80Hz but then has a sudden drop of a few dB and below 49Hz it drops off fast.

The specs imlpy the Neumann will have a slightly better bass - but only your ears will tell which is better for you.

Last edited by John Willett; 18th July 2015 at 05:37 PM..
Old 18th July 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
You cannot judge monitors by reading charts and sometimes the the flattest monitors do not always mean the best. It really is a case of trying them out and seeing if they work for you.
Old 18th July 2015
  #9
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
You cannot judge monitors by reading charts and sometimes the the flattest monitors do not always mean the best. It really is a case of trying them out and seeing if they work for you.
Yeah charts & specifications are meaningless. There's far too many variables to just look at them and judge, the only way to see properly is test in your own room, or both monitors in the same properly tuned room and position.
Old 18th July 2015
  #10
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
You cannot judge monitors by reading charts and sometimes the the flattest monitors do not always mean the best. It really is a case of trying them out and seeing if they work for you.
That's what I said.

But the diagrams can help you to understand what you are hearing.
Old 19th July 2015
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
That's what I said.

But the diagrams can help you to understand what you are hearing.
I don't disagree with that, I cite specs often but do feel it needs to be stressed that one uses their ears especially with monitors.

There are people here on GS that do use test specs as the end all not on monitors but on other things.
Perhaps that is what brought me to comment.

I think we can agree then we are on the same page here.
Old 19th July 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Yep, there is a LOT more to how well a monitor works than just the frequency response. Phase accuracy, transient response, dispersion patterns, headroom etc. all affect how useful a monitor is too. And then there is the question of personal taste and room acoustics!

To the OP: try to find a store with good return policies so you can try out both speakers in your room and find out what suits you best.
Old 19th July 2015
  #13
it's a difficult question as I've not heard the amphion one but the neumann's are really special, very brutally accurate, they are perfect for the studio and since getting them it's been a lot easier to hear colour and imperfections, they have amazing separation and clarity and they'll tell you instantly when something sounds wrong, I've been using my kh120's for over a year now and they are without doubt the best monitors I've heard without getting into crazy high end stuff like ATC.
Old 19th July 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
midmost's Avatar
I think anyway I might better upgrade to KH310 from my KH120 instead of "upgrading" to Amphion One15 .. which is not a real update due to dynamics..etc
Old 8th January 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I am also having the same issue. Didn't hear the Neumann, nor the Amphion. Unfortunatelly, have to go for one option with ears closed, as I don't have any shop near by to test them out. Counting the amp, the Amphions are 1500Euro more expensive than Neumanns. Question is, is it worth it? My room is quite small, around 12sqm(130sqft), currently building a workstation, will also get some acoustic treatment. In the future is possible to change my location. Hopefully, some of you have heard both and cand come up with some valid suggestions.
Old 8th January 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
Amphion one 15 and Neuman KH120 are totally different league. Comparaison is meaningless. Amphion one 15 are top notch incredible mixing loudspeakers.
Old 8th January 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Look at the specs:-

Neumann KH120A = 52Hz
Amphion One15 = 49Hz

very close, there is 3Hz between them.

In full space the KH120A has a maximum SPL of 105.1dB

The Amphion will depend on the amplifier you choose.

KH120A frequency response:-


Amphion One15 frequency response:-


The KH120A has a very smooth response down to 52Hz - the Amphion One15 is less smooth but relatively flat down to 80Hz but then has a sudden drop of a few dB and below 49Hz it drops off fast.

The specs imlpy the Neumann will have a slightly better bass - but only your ears will tell which is better for you.
Hello,


The on axis response is not util but easy to do

the KH120 measurements

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

KH 120: The off axis response is very good
ONE15: no measure

KH120: the bass spl level may be short.
ONE15: no measure

KH120: the bass distortion level is high
ONE15: no measure

but in first, the listening is the most important.
Old 8th January 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
Amphion one 15 and Neuman KH120 are totally different league. Comparaison is meaningless. Amphion one 15 are top notch incredible mixing loudspeakers.
Thanks for the input, mate!

One thing that concerns me...the Amphion amp. I'm not getting anything other than their amp, for safety reasons. This company seems trustworthy. No idea what to get. I need some decent amount of power, probably to chose between Amp100mono and Amp100. Perhaps, I'll ask the Finns regarding this.
Old 9th January 2016
  #19
Gear Head
I wouldn't say comparison is meaningless. If you're just mixing for living, maybe so, but as an overall studiotool, many consider between these two. I had KH120 before I got one15 + amp100 + Amphion cables. They are quite different sounding monitors. Neumanns are darker sounding, they have more bass and in my room they also go lower than Amphions. Same kick drums sound very different between the two, Amphions being snappier, Neumanns meatier. But then one15 have lot more resolution than KH120. I could never hear reverb properly on Neumanns, but Amphions really give you insight. Same thing with compression and EQ, Amphions just tell you more.

Neumanns Were always pleasure to work with, they don't fatigue your ears at all and they translate pretty well. In their price range, I would get them anytime over competition.

However, Amphions are in different league and if you can justify the difference in price, get them. But make sure you also have proper dac to use with them. Focusrite Saffire interfaces sound quite crap even with Neumanns, so I can just imagine how much they would degrade the sound on Amphions.
Old 9th January 2016
  #20
Gear Head
Oh, and they both work really well in small space with low listening levels, which is a big plus for me!
Old 9th January 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 

If but if you buy speakers based on frequency graphs you are a fool....

Get the speakers in your room and WORK on them.

See which is easier/faster to work on. See how they translate to the outside world.

(Ps I've had them side by side, and in my opinion the Amphions make the Neumann's sound broken in the mids).
Old 9th January 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornyhornyhorny View Post
I wouldn't say comparison is meaningless. If you're just mixing for living, maybe so, but as an overall studiotool, many consider between these two. I had KH120 before I got one15 + amp100 + Amphion cables. They are quite different sounding monitors. Neumanns are darker sounding, they have more bass and in my room they also go lower than Amphions. Same kick drums sound very different between the two, Amphions being snappier, Neumanns meatier. But then one15 have lot more resolution than KH120. I could never hear reverb properly on Neumanns, but Amphions really give you insight. Same thing with compression and EQ, Amphions just tell you more.

Neumanns Were always pleasure to work with, they don't fatigue your ears at all and they translate pretty well. In their price range, I would get them anytime over competition.

However, Amphions are in different league and if you can justify the difference in price, get them. But make sure you also have proper dac to use with them. Focusrite Saffire interfaces sound quite crap even with Neumanns, so I can just imagine how much they would degrade the sound on Amphions.
Very good inside! Thank you, kindly! Will have to break the bank a little for the Amphions, but hopefully it will pay off on the long run. I also take into account that are very forgiving on changing location, and I might do that in the near future. Will get RME Fireface UCX, so hopefully everything will translate well.
Old 9th January 2016
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

For acoustic, primarily vocal, orchestral, ensemble, and soundtrack, I would consider Quested S7r or S8r as well.

The KH120A is pretty rugged and portable for location work.
Old 9th January 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by js230 View Post
For acoustic, primarily vocal, orchestral, ensemble, and soundtrack, I would consider Quested S7r or S8r as well.
Good for my budget, great for my scoring video, but...not enough reviews over the internet about this monitors, and can't test them out.
Old 9th January 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Stimmt's Avatar
 

I second all three: Quested, Neumann, Geithain. Best three moniterrz you can get imho. Except for Hip Hop: KRK (still got them and like them)
Old 10th January 2016
  #26
The amphion one15 is much more expensive than the kh120 but its a founded cost increase. The one15's clarity, image and low end are miles better.
Old 26th January 2016
  #27
Im considering a move from kh120 to one15 or maybe psi a17m. I want to hear more detail and make easier mix decisions but also want a speaker that is inspiring for producing/ listening as well. Anyone with experience using all three care to comment?
Old 26th January 2016
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgechon View Post
Im considering a move from kh120 to one15 or maybe psi a17m. I want to hear more detail and make easier mix decisions but also want a speaker that is inspiring for producing/ listening as well. Anyone with experience using all three care to comment?
I havent heard the a17m, but the amphion one15 (as posted by everyone previous) is a superb monitor, you can mix on them without thinkin too much about anything other than the mix itself. The difference between them and the KH120 is staggering, if you can afford the one15 thats what i would shoot for.
Old 30th January 2016
  #29
Gear Addict
 
mmahan40's Avatar
 

You should definitely check out the Unity Audio Rock MKIIs. Brutally honest, closed cabinet 6.5" driver with extension down to 33hz at -3db. Best $$ I ever spent.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump