The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tele/Neumann U47 Original pricing
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Head

Tele/Neumann U47 Original pricing

Anybody out there have a price list from 1954-1956-ish in regard to what the original selling price of a U-47 was from Telefunken?
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 TON View Post
Anybody out there have a price list from 1954-1956-ish in regard to what the original selling price of a U-47 was from Telefunken?
From the original BBC test of the original Neumann U47, it was £100.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

... which was a huge amount of money.
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
From the original BBC test of the original Neumann U47, it was £100.
That test was in 1947? Thanks for the info John.
Old 18th January 2015
Motown legend

Here I understand they were originally $299 including power supply while they were less in Europe because the power supply was sold separately. The U.S. importer was Telefunken while UK and Canada were a different company and they were badged Neumann.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

That would be $3,251 today (accounting for inflation.)
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 TON View Post
That test was in 1947? Thanks for the info John.
January 1954 actually.

You can download the PDF of the original BBC report from this BBC page (click on the "Download" button to download the PDF.
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Addict

In 1954, according to the advertisements, the sole importer of the Telefunken U-47M was American Elite, Inc. and they were charging $390 for the condenser microphone, power supply, cables and plugs. I assume you could get the Neumann version through their own network. If you want to see the advertisements I've posted them here https://www.facebook.com/FastTraxProductions
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
In 1954, according to the advertisements, the sole importer of the Telefunken U-47M was American Elite, Inc. and they were charging $390 for the condenser microphone, power supply, cables and plugs.
That does sound about right as I think there were about 4 dollars ($) to the pound (£) in the 1950s.
Old 19th January 2015
Motown legend

$390 is probably correct. American Elite owned the Telefunken trademark in the United States and had an exclusive distribution contract with Neumann and a number of German consumer electronics manufacturers. When that expired they contracted with AKG to build the 251 which was a variant of the C12 and sold several Schoeps microphones with Telefunken badges. Gotham Audio, who had been distributing Neumann lathes and cutting systems here, took over distributing the microphones under the Neumann trademark until they were acquired out of receivership by Sennheiser.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

I once found one of the receipts for one of our U48's at Capitol. If I remember correctly, the cost was $395.

Steve
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
$390 is probably correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
I once found one of the receipts for one of our U48's at Capitol. If I remember correctly, the cost was $395.

So that's about 3K in todays value give or take.

I can't even think of a present day equivalent but for quality the GEFELL CMV 563 / M7S is a stellar mic and it costs $5,675.
Old 20th January 2015
Motown legend

U67s came out in 1959 at $495 including power supply. I'm eternally grateful to Gotham's factory rep in Detroit who allowed me to use one for a week while I was in high school knowing there was no chance in hell I'd be buying it.

Back then there was no such thing as a pro audio dealer other than maybe one or two places in New York. The reps brought all of the new products around to our studios and we shot them out against what we already had. If something really was better and we could talk the boss into it, a purchase might be made. Anything we actually got our hands on that sucked too bad simply disappeared. It was a system that really kept manufacturers on their toes and is a lot of why most equipment from the early '60s and earlier was so good.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
I think the 67 was around 300 when released appx 61/62. It was touted as the microphone of the future and they were right. In early 80/85 Manny's music had u-87 for 5/600.
I wonder how Van Gelder got his early U-47's that put him in business. From what i've heard he was one of the 1st in usa to have them.

In 1954 if you brought home 50.00 a week you were doing okay.
Around 1985 I bought a bunch of mics from Stephen Temmer the former owner of Gotham Audio who was selling all the mics that had been traded in over the years which he got when he sold the company.

I bought several 47's , 48's, 67's KM-54's plus a mint 251

I also bought a pair of KM-56's that I still have , and on the power supplies you can just make out a rubber stamp that says "Rudy Van Gelder".

Guess he traded them in for some of those solid-state Neumann mics.
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I can't even think of a present day equivalent but for quality the GEFELL CMV 563 / M7S is a stellar mic and it costs $5,675.
And the UK price has just been reduced to £3,750 +VAT
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxBswokjMo

(No sarcasm intended.)
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Head

Great replies, thank you all. Always surprised at the willingness of folks that participate in this forum are about sharing what they know. Good stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search