The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Life expectancy of ADT interior
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear
Life expectancy of ADT interior

Hi out there,

I've checked the forum rules and checked the topics and I hope I didn't miss one where I could have found the information:

I've been looking quite some time for an analogue console that I could integrate in my studio. I've finally found what I was looking for in the company ADT. I love the sound of the consoles, especially the 5-band-EQ.

I found an ADT 5MT that I would more or less want to buy. More or less because it's 30 years old and a huge thing that takes a lot of space in my rooms. Moreover I think that I would buy a lot of stuff that I won't need anymore as a DAW delivers all of it (e.g. there's an old automation computer included which I would probably not use).

The think that I have a problem with is, that I can't tell how much restoration I would buy with the console. How long will the electrolytic capacitors work and so on. So what is your experience with consoles like that. After 30 years, will there be a lot to service?

What about the consumed electricity that an old console needs.

I would actually like to buy some of the new ToolMod - modules because they are fantastic to integrate in a DAW-setup. But as you probably know, they are quite dear.

So would you rather go for risking a lot of servicing or for investing in new gear step by step?

Thank you very much for your estimations!!!
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear
If it's 30 yeard old, you'll most likely have to replace a lot of electrolytic capacitors unless they have already been replaced.

Other than that it really depends on the actual condition of the console. My console is from 1989 and works well, although it needed quite some work.

I wouldn't throw away the automation, because it can be useful, especially when you have some dynamic processing going on and want to change level after it. I'd love to have level automation on all channels, but I have to live with mute automation only.

I don't know the specific console well enough to say how much of a trouble it's going to be, but if you know how to service it or have a tech, I'd say go for it. If you don't know how to service it, I won't say that you shouldn't get it, but you should know that it might become expensive.
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear
When you say "expensive", can you say what that could be. As I've never had an analogue console I couldn't estimate it myself.

I would definitely have to ask somebody to service it for me. I'm no tech but the owner of ADT is quite a nice guy. So I suppose he would do that himself but the ADT gear is actually really expensive so servicing it will probably be, too.

Thanks for your experiences.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear
I can't give you a definite answer. Parts usually aren't that expensive, unless you have to replace a lot of potentiometers etc.
The expensive part is paying someone to locate the problematic parts and replace them.
It also depends on where you are located and who you know.

Although you can make most older consoles work like new and they can be fairly reliable, you have to know that they consict of thousands of components and that on large consoles minor faults occur sooner or later. Sometimes you have to simply reseat a module or a connector and it starts working again, sometimes it's a bit more complex, but most of the problems are relatively easy to solve when you have a scope and know what you are doing. What becomes expensive is calling a tech for every minor fault.
Old 17th January 2015
Pat
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTastenrasta View Post
Hi out there,

I found an ADT 5MT that I would more or less want to buy. ?
Which type of channels are fitted in the mixer? ADT offers more than
15 different types of channels and some can even be custom made.

Pat
Old 17th January 2015
Gear Maniac
there's a guy over at Techtalk • Index page who did a fantastic job restoring an ADT console, maybe ask him if he'd work on the one you're looking at. If that fails Jack from Horch is an excellent tech who services ADT consoles...
Old 18th January 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Which type of channels are fitted in the mixer? ADT offers more than
15 different types of channels and some can even be custom made.

Pat
ADT offers an EQ called TM105 and as far as I understood it the EQ in the console is more or less the same in as the one mentioned.

If I understood all of you correctly, you would actually go for the console?

My option is in deed staying modular, so buying ToolMod-modules and setting up a DAW-integrated system with a faderbox by ADT and investing step by step in EQ-racks and compressors, preamps and so on. The big advantage being saving space, not buying things that are not up-to-date but still analogue and state-of-the-art.

So the console is like a human, you can not really look inside before you buy it and you will only see if something's wrong when it is already wrong. Hmm.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Why don´t you just call Mr Jüngling of ADT Audio and ask him about his opinion what you´d have to expect from getting an 30yrs desk. Recapping is only one part of the story. It actually depends on how good the desk has been treated maintained in the past.
To me it seems that you don´t really know what the benefit of a console would be for yourself. In that case I´d skip on a desk (+maintenance nightmare) and go the DAW+outboard route. Or have a look at the new ADT Tool Mod console: modular analog Mixing Console It will give you all the infrastructre a desk has but you still can chose your favourite pres, EQs or comps.
Old 19th January 2015
Here for the gear
I've considered a ToolMod console but I've also considered a Faderbox http://www.adt-audio.com/Downloads/T...box_de_web.pdf

But I think I could miss quite some options as far as the monitoring/foldback is concerned going for the faderbox.

An old huge console for 5K is still something different than a Faderbox for 10K which doesn't even have EQs, patch bay etc. and just has about a third of the channels available.

But that's probably going too much into the field of sales advice.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

I don´t want to discourage you, but keeping a desk like this alive is quite a challenge. If you are into electronics then fine, go for it. If you have to hire a tech then it will cost you a fortune. Believe me, I´m running a facility with 20 analog desks, one of them being an ADT C series, and I´m doing most of the maintenance. Feel free to contact me through pm.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search