The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neumann M49
Old 14th January 2015
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Neumann M49

Well the m7 capsule of my m49 finally gave out. Has anyone tried to buy an old Gefell m7 capsule as a replacement? Is it better to send it to neumann and get a kk47/49? Thiersh? Wagner?
Old 14th January 2015
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Go for the Neumann - always better to get an original part if it's still available
Old 15th January 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
I would suggest a reskin by Thiersch....but I do not have much experience other than owning an M7 Thiersch in my microphone.
Old 15th January 2015
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
I would suggest a reskin by Thiersch....but I do not have much experience other than owning an M7 Thiersch in my microphone.
Did you hear the mic/capsule before the repair or is that how the mic was when you bought it? If so, what was the mic like before and after?
Old 15th January 2015
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Go for the Neumann - always better to get an original part if it's still available
I agree with that generally, but I have used the mic with the m7 for so long, and loved it, that I am unsure about switching to the different capsule. Then again, a reproduction might be just as different.
Old 15th January 2015
  #6
Gear Addict
Shannon at mic rehab he is Blackbird studio premier mic repair guy
he is beyond qualified

Last edited by kmade; 15th January 2015 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: Hit wrong button
Old 15th January 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
I meant that you could send your defective capsule to be reskinned. I did not hear a before and after, I ordered an m7 mylar brand new from Thiersch. I decided against pvc because I work with plastics and consider its quality to be poor, though that is not based on firsthand experience with this particular plastic but pvc plastics in general and the myriad of chemicals that are required. To expect batches to remain consistent is beyond wishful thinking when it comes to chemicals and batches....
Old 15th January 2015
  #8
Gear Addict
Old 15th January 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacre View Post
Well the m7 capsule of my m49 finally gave out. Has anyone tried to buy an old Gefell m7 capsule as a replacement? Is it better to send it to neumann and get a kk47/49? Thiersh? Wagner?
If in doubt.. ask Andreas Grosser. heh



Cheu
Old 15th January 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacre View Post
Well the m7 capsule of my m49 finally gave out. Has anyone tried to buy an old Gefell m7 capsule as a replacement? Is it better to send it to neumann and get a kk47/49? Thiersh? Wagner?
I'd go with Neumann and get a K47/49 capsule for your mic. Although Gefell makes a great M7, I'd still go for the proper mylar K47/49 as a replacement.
Old 15th January 2015
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Yup, the original capsule is worthless now.
Might as well send it to me.
Old 15th January 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 

certainly go for an original neumann k49/47. it costs a fortune but is well worth it. this mic is way too amazing for a re-skinn. i learned the hard way. i have two m49s. one re-skinned - one original. i always reach for the original capsule one first it sounds better to my ears.
Old 15th January 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
Well if you have Neumann M49B (better for orchestral work) then you should replace it with the M7 capsule, however if you have an M49C (better for vocals) then it should be the KK 47/49 capsule. That way the mic will stay true to its original build. Although either capsule is great.

I have an M49C that Oliver Archut built for me, he originally put in a re skinned Thiersch M7 capsule but I let him know I was mainly using this for vocals and individual instruments so we both agreed the KK47 to be the better capsule for that application. My original M49's that I owned 20 years ago were C's and I prefer that sound myself. A little smoother in the top end than the B's IMHO.
Old 15th January 2015
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

If you want to keep the Neumann sound, get a Neumann capsule. The K47/49 is probably the most beautiful LDC available anyway. Ask Klaus Heijne!
Thiersch is kinda dull compared to Neumann.
Old 15th January 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Thiersch is the only person using the correct material and process for M7 PVC reskins. That being said, you will be unhappy with the Thiersch reskin, compared to your original M7. You will find it lacking in crispness. In my pair of M49s, the M7 capsules went bad, and I just put new K47 capsules in, and and extremely happy. As somebody who's owned a few M49, and has a few U47s with both K47s and Thiersch M7, I strongly suggest going the K47 route.
Old 15th January 2015
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

The other big difference is the price. You can buy 3 Thiersch M7's for the price of one K47/49...
Old 16th January 2015
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Seems that most recommend the k47/49 route. At least there are a few good options, not like ck12 capsules. I have a few old c414s and some c12b's, I am dreading when those capsules give up, once those go, they're gone.
Old 16th January 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsb View Post
The other big difference is the price. You can buy 3 Thiersch M7's for the price of one K47/49...
and you could buy a whole bunch of fiats for the price of a ferrari
it depends. i did like the thiersch a whole lot on a um70. it sounded a whole lot better after his work. but on my m49 not so much.
Old 16th January 2015
  #19
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Well if you have Neumann M49B (better for orchestral work) then you should replace it with the M7 capsule, however if you have an M49C (better for vocals) then it should be the KK 47/49 capsule. That way the mic will stay true to its original build. Although either capsule is great.

I have an M49C that Oliver Archut built for me, he originally put in a re skinned Thiersch M7 capsule but I let him know I was mainly using this for vocals and individual instruments so we both agreed the KK47 to be the better capsule for that application. My original M49's that I owned 20 years ago were C's and I prefer that sound myself. A little smoother in the top end than the B's IMHO.
Thanks for the input, mine is an m49b. I primarily used it for acoustic instruments or as a room mic, but did use it occasionally for vocals. For vocals I rotate between sanken cu41, akg c12b, c414eb, sony c57, sony c47 and aea r84 depending on the vocalist.
Old 16th January 2015
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
and you could buy a whole bunch of fiats for the price of a ferrari

You hit the nail on his head! (As we say in Holland)
Old 16th January 2015
  #21
Lives for gear
 
pete's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
I'd go with Neumann and get a K47/49 capsule for your mic. Although Gefell makes a great M7, I'd still go for the proper mylar K47/49 as a replacement.
does neumann sell them directly in germany?
Old 16th January 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
does neumann sell them directly in germany?
yes they do. its 138 euro for an initial inspection and 720 euro for the capsule (this includes fitting a new capsule - if demanded by the customer). i called them a few days ago regaring this very topic - so these prices should be valid i guess. you get what you pay for argh!
actually i think its fair considering that they build capsules mainly (and thats the magic). the rest is a steel housing and a simple amp.

Last edited by salomonander; 16th January 2015 at 01:29 AM..
Old 16th January 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
pete's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
yes they do. its 138 euro for an initial inspection and 720 euro for the capsule (including the fitting of the capsule). i called them a few days ago regaring this very topic - so these prices should be valid i guess. you get what you pay for argh!
actually i think its fair considering that they build capsules mainly (and thats the magic). the rest is a steel housing and a simple amp.
that means buying a new one is 720 euro right? what exactly is the inspection for? I got my original M49 capsule reskinned by thiersch (because it didnt work properly anymore) and I was very unhappy with the result on my M49..
Old 16th January 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
that means buying a new one is 720 euro right? what exactly is the inspection for? I got my original M49 capsule reskinned by thiersch (because it didnt work properly anymore) and I was very unhappy with the result on my M49..
the 138 euros are for inspecting the mic throughout. if the tube is bad they will send it right back to you since they do not have any replacements. at least they will fit the capsule for "free" after that initial cost. thats what they told me.

ps: same on one of my m49s. it lost the magic with the thiersch.
i have to go further...its a very sad story. i did send the wrong m49 to thiersch. the capsule was just fine on that one (the other one was broken - and i messed them up during shipping). he replaced it without even checking it. im so pissed. but i guess its my fault - sending off the wrong mic. still..... what a tech :( he destroyed my perfectly fine original capsule. i lost all hope after that. its neumann or no one else for me after that desaster. every one else does a hack job - and i know them all.
ps2: again. thiersch did a great job on my gefells....

Last edited by salomonander; 16th January 2015 at 02:26 PM..
Old 16th January 2015
  #25
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacre View Post
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Seems that most recommend the k47/49 route. At least there are a few good options, not like ck12 capsules. I have a few old c414s and some c12b's, I am dreading when those capsules give up, once those go, they're gone.
Shouldn't happen. M7 is PVC, which deteriorates through shrinkage and hardening. If properly cared for, the mylar CK12 should stay good.
Old 16th January 2015
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Can you buy a K47 capsule from neumann without asking for any repair? like if I'm building a DIY mic, could I buy a neumann capsule or a gefell one?
Old 16th January 2015
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruler View Post
Can you buy a K47 capsule from neumann without asking for any repair? like if I'm building a DIY mic, could I buy a neumann capsule or a gefell one?
Yes, you can order one at Sennheiser. Part number 053291
Old 16th January 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Getting a separate Gefell M7 will be trickier, I believe.
Old 16th January 2015
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Getting a separate Gefell M7 will be trickier, I believe.
That's right. Gefell doesn't sell capsules as service parts. If you have one, they will reskin it for you if needed.
Old 16th January 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
You don't want a Gefell M7. Their new process is not terribly good. I had them reskin an M7 for me, and it was a real disappointment.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump