The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neumann M49
Old 23rd January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Gefell microphones with the M7 capsule are lean on the bottom to begin with.
The graphs show this, too
The trick is to get intimate with them.
Yes this is my experience too, up close there is a lovely proximity(although the extra lows drop quite quickly with only slightly more distance).
But like many here I'm intrigued by the notion/possibility that there are M7 capsules being made with even greater midrange clarity and perhaps even more general 'heft below'. Everything else being equal.

Klaus by expert assessment recommended to the Op the K47 as a replacement for his M49. Does anybody know if its possible to get an MG M7 replaced by an K47 in an Um900?
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, you can replace an M7 with a K49 in a Microtech Gefell mic.
The problem, and this is the same issue if you substitute the two capsule types in a Neumann mic: the mounting method for the capsules is quite different, as the two capsules have different diameters and mounting points.

In the case of replacing an M7 with a K49 in a Neumann mic with its original M7 capsule mount, you would either replace the whole mount above the rubber column and install a U87-style plastic half moon capsule mount in its place, or you modify the original M7 mounting ring by cutting it off, leaving just the lower (half-moon shaped) portion wide enough to drill two new holes into it, and then attaching the K47 in the afore mentioned method.

MG/Gefell mics have a thread at the end of the capsule column that the M7's back plate screws right in. There are ways to install the Neumann half-moon mount onto the threaded column and then mount the K47 onto it.

In both cases, care must be taken to position the capsule's height correctly inside the basket after the switch-over.

Last edited by Klaus; 23rd January 2015 at 08:54 PM..
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

And there's the third "difference" that was somewhere in the back of my head.
Old 23rd January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Yes, you can replace an M7 with a K49 in a Microtech Gefell mic.
The problem, and this is the same issue if you substitute the two capsule types in a Neumann mic: the mounting method for the capsules is quite different, as the two capsules have different diameters and mounting points.

In the case of replacing an M7 with a K49 in a Neumann mic with its original M7 capsule mount, you would either replace the whole mount above the rubber column and install a U87-style plastic half moon capsule mount in its place, or you modify the original M7 mounting ring by cutting it off, leaving just the lower (half-moon shaped) portion wide enough to drill two new holes into it, and then attaching the K47 in the afore mentioned method.

MG/Gefell mics have a thread at the end of the capsule column that the M7's back plate screws right in. There are ways to install the Neumann half-moon mount onto the threaded column and then mount the K47 onto it.

In both cases, care must be taken to position the capsule's height correctly inside the basket after the switch-over.
Thank you, Klaus! I wasnt aware of the internal mounting differences.

Last edited by Cofell; 24th January 2015 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: Accidental hijack
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Thiersch is the only person using the correct material and process for M7 PVC reskins. That being said, you will be unhappy with the Thiersch reskin, compared to your original M7. You will find it lacking in crispness. In my pair of M49s, the M7 capsules went bad, and I just put new K47 capsules in, and and extremely happy. As somebody who's owned a few M49, and has a few U47s with both K47s and Thiersch M7, I strongly suggest going the K47 route.

Ditto

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search