The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
On which monitors do you show your mixes?
Old 14th January 2015
Gear Head

On which monitors do you show your mixes?

When your mix is almost finished and you have your client come and take a listen, do you use the same monitors to show your mix to your client or do you use "something special" to make it sound nicer?

I only have a pair of NS-10Ms and of course when people listen to what I did, they start complaining. I have to lend them some cans so they have a better understanding. Which monitors would you recommend for this purpose?
Old 14th January 2015

Are you looking to buy some for this purpose? What is your budget?

I agree that NS-10s are not great for this.

You could always add a sub

m
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer79 View Post
When your mix is almost finished and you have your client come and take a listen, do you use the same monitors to show your mix to your client or do you use "something special" to make it sound nicer?

I only have a pair of NS-10Ms and of course when people listen to what I did, they start complaining. I have to lend them some cans so they have a better understanding. Which monitors would you recommend for this purpose?
The opposite, I play them the mix on a pair of £20 second hand Sony SRS88's.

When it sounds amazing, they realise that the mix is going to sound amazing anywhere!!

Of course if they want to hear the mix on the mains, I'm happy to do so.
In my case my mains are K&H 0300's - which are ruler flat and don't represent anything the average person listens to music on.
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The opposite, I play them the mix on a pair of £20 second hand Sony SRS88's.

When it sounds amazing, they realise that the mix is going to sound amazing anywhere!!

Of course if they want to hear the mix on the mains, I'm happy to do so.
In my case my mains are K&H 0300's - which are ruler flat and don't represent anything the average person listens to music on.
Hello,

DO you find your k&h 0300 to really translate well on other systems? No bad surprise ?

Regards

Sergio
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

DO you find your k&h 0300 to really translate well on other systems? No bad surprise ?

Regards

Sergio
Well monitors are a very personal thing, but after demoing a few different models I settled on the 0300's (which are fed by a Crane Song Avocet monitor controller)

I have found the translation of my mixes to be very good, never any bad surprises.

I one thing I particularly love about 0300's is there honest ruler flat presentation of the program material. I don't find the tweeters at all fatiguing unlike a few other models I tried which just seemed hyped and artificially bright!

Definitely worth a demo IMHO.

best
tht
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Always on the big ass PMC monitor tower we have.
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer79 View Post
B&W 801 - they make creamy highs
Old 22nd January 2015
DLW ALS 1104 Reference monitors. All hail David Leeds Wenger.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

YAMAHA NS1000 mains at 92 DB. Modestly at around 77-85db.
Old 22nd January 2015
PMC IB2s here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search