The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Berliner microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Berliner microphones

Does anyone know if Berliner Audio is still in business. I own their U77 mic and think it's fabulous. I use it to record vocals and acoustic instruments with excellent results. I see their web site is still up but no longer hear or read anything about them.
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

I researched the heck out of that mic when I was dreaming of a go-to mic.
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
I researched the heck out of that mic when I was dreaming of a go-to mic.
Berliner Audio was a start up company at the time and the U77 was not cheap but I never regretted buying it. What mic did you finally buy?
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

I eventually built an AMI Tabfunkenwerks U47 kit, but with a Mullard ef800 and Thiersch M7 capsule. Also used a Wunder U47psu as Wunder switched the design so I found an old model local to me. Very happy in the end. Also bought an early Pearlman TM-1 with Telefunken EF14 metal tube, k47 tuned capsule. But the Berliner was a dream, great miniature tube and capsule. Seemed like it was going to be a wonderful mic, and sure sounds like it is judging from your comments and that you still own it. Berliner came out like 5 years ago or more right?

Last edited by Vintageidiot; 14th January 2015 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 15th January 2015
Here for the gear

Berliner came out about five or six years ago, I've had my mic for over fours. If their business did fail it wouldn't be the first company with a quality product to do so. I guess it just shows how hard it is for a start up company to succeed. You didn't get the U77 but you chose some very nice mics in it's place. I've used the AMI/Tab Blackspade UM17R which I think uses the same Thiersch capsule as your U47 kit. Tab makes high quality products so I'm sure your U47 sounds sweet.
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks, would be great to hear some clips of the U77....
Old 15th January 2015
Here for the gear

Attached Files

01 Track 1.wma (3.70 MB, 140 views)

Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

It was a dream because I didn't have 3k+ to pay for it. Took 2 years to piece-meal the AMI. Thanks for posting a clip, I will transfer to my rig to listen in optimal settings.....
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Nut

beautiful song and amazing recording!
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Nut
I also have the U77 mic. I spoke to Dana (vd i think) a couple times but that was loong ago. The mic is great even, it doesn't get used as much as it should here though. Would also like to know what happened.
Old 10th September 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the complement aewon, it means alot. All the vocals, acoustic guitars and mandolin where recorded with the U77. The song was written and performed by Pat Lonzello
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Have two. Love em. Close to my M49s.
They are a high quality mic. Introduced to a market flooded with cheap LDs unfortunately
And it couldnt compete. Dana nor anyone else for that matter seems to answer anymore.
Shame.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search