The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River MixMaster 20 vs. Rupert Neve Designs 5060 Centerpiece
Old 3 days ago
I don't but after owning it for a couple years I can say it is pretty dramatic from itb. Wonderful sounding unit. I didn't like switching back and forth from using the pres in tracking and in my summing setup. Really sucked when I was using those four channels in my mix and then wanting to track through them. Have to reroute channels then route them back after.

But sound quality was stellar
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
I don't but after owning it for a couple years I can say it is pretty dramatic from itb. Wonderful sounding unit. I didn't like switching back and forth from using the pres in tracking and in my summing setup. Really sucked when I was using those four channels in my mix and then wanting to track through them. Have to reroute channels then route them back after.

But sound quality was stellar
When I had my shadow hills equinox combined with my shadow hills mastering compressor, the sound was pretty different from ITB too but I felt like the equinox was not only adding to the sound, it was also taking away some stuff from the sound. It shrank the top to bottom imaging and the added low end was often in the wrong region now matter which transfo I used.
I still use the mastering comp but with the sigma now, its much better.
Did you encounter that sort of feeling with the mix master 20 with all its transformers ?
Old 3 days ago
No. I felt like the low end extended and thickened up in the right places. The high end became a touch more present. In the channels that were going through the preamps you could hear a bit of that transformer grind, but that's exactly why you use them I felt like the sonic differences were pretty much always in the right places.

My trident 80b I use now is quite different than the great river. The trident has a tighter low end and is more punchy. The highs also gain presence but are little harsher than the great river. The trident is more colored and heavy handed than the great river, but the great river was more 3D and deeper sounding. It had less punch but more weight if that makes sense. Seemed deeper in where the weight sat but still kept it controlled
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
No. I felt like the low end extended and thickened up in the right places. The high end became a touch more present. In the channels that were going through the preamps you could hear a bit of that transformer grind, but that's exactly why you use them I felt like the sonic differences were pretty much always in the right places.

My trident 80b I use now is quite different than the great river. The trident has a tighter low end and is more punchy. The highs also gain presence but are little harsher than the great river. The trident is more colored and heavy handed than the great river, but the great river was more 3D and deeper sounding. It had less punch but more weight if that makes sense. Seemed deeper in where the weight sat but still kept it controlled
That seems pretty nice, I'll see if I can get my hands on one.
In the meantime if anybody else want to chime in I'm all ears!
Old 3 days ago
I use a 5060 and absolutely love it. It can be clean or colored depending on how you hit it, and the inserts on the first 4 stereo pairs make it really easy to do parallel compression. I just take the insert sends of those 4 pairs into outboard compressors and return the compressors on the other stereo returns. Also has the silk and a pre-fader insert on the master fader. All really useful features that make it feel much more like using a console.
Old 3 days ago
Haven't used one but I bet it's great. I have an mbp and everything goes through it
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
I use a 5060 and absolutely love it. It can be clean or colored depending on how you hit it, and the inserts on the first 4 stereo pairs make it really easy to do parallel compression. I just take the insert sends of those 4 pairs into outboard compressors and return the compressors on the other stereo returns. Also has the silk and a pre-fader insert on the master fader. All really useful features that make it feel much more like using a console.
How do you like the faders on it? Do you find they make recall more difficult?
Old 2 days ago
I think if I was tracking with it I would love using the faders. Since I'm mixing, I toned them out and then taped them down so they never move. I have a session saved with test tones so that I can make sure my parallel chains are accurate to within .1dB. It works great. I just notate Mixbus settings in the comments on my print track. All the other outboard never moves. Recalls are as quick as opening a pro tools session.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
I think if I was tracking with it I would love using the faders. Since I'm mixing, I toned them out and then taped them down so they never move. I have a session saved with test tones so that I can make sure my parallel chains are accurate to within .1dB. It works great. I just notate Mixbus settings in the comments on my print track. All the other outboard never moves. Recalls are as quick as opening a pro tools session.
Thanks for your reply.
I would probably end up doing the same kind of thing if I got one since I feel faders can be tricky to recall perfectly.

Do you feel the need to change the silk setting from one mix to another?
Old 2 days ago
I do change the silk setting somewhat regularly. Usually on the red setting, which is the brighter mode. Just varying the amount depending on the song. It's most often at about 9 o'clock, which is not much of the effect. A little goes a long way.
Old 2 days ago
Both are great units but I prefer the Rupert Neve 5060 with its faders, and silk button controls.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Both are great units but I prefer the Rupert Neve 5060 with its faders, and silk button controls.
could easily add Faders to a Mix Master 20 with a Speck via Fader 10, or 16 channel unit.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
could easily add Faders to a Mix Master 20 with a Speck via Fader 10, or 16 channel unit.
True but I just prefer the Ruper Neve sound with his latest equipment.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
True but I just prefer the Ruper Neve sound with his latest equipment.
Have you compared them directly?
Old 23 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Have you compared them directly?
I have heard both.....several times. They are both great pieces and it's really a personal preference which one you like better sound wise. Regarding workflow wise the Neve is a lot better as it's right in front of you on your desk as you sit between your monitors which keeps you in your sweet spot.
Old 23 hours ago
Quote:
I have heard both.....several times. They are both great pieces and it's really a personal preference which one you like better sound wise. Regarding workflow wise the Neve is a lot better as it's right in front of you on your desk as you sit between your monitors which keeps you in your sweet spot.
Cool....I was curious how you derived your opinion. Usually, making records with this stuff is the best way to find out. FWIW, most everyone puts the MM20 directly in the center of their sweet spot.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search