The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 10dc vs Vintech audio 609!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th January 2015
Here for the gear
BAE 10dc vs Vintech audio 609!!!

Hi!
I would like to make decision and buy one of these stereo compressors: BAE 10dc or Vintech audio 609

I would like to use it on master and also individually on groups or mono sources.
Anyone compared them side by side?

Tnx
Old 11th January 2015
Lives for gear

The 609 ALSO has a 2254 style limiter on it after the compressor. Pretty nice. I would be more inclined to use it on the master buss if all the pots were indented though. Sounds sweet. I haven't used the BAE 10DC.
Old 11th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins View Post
The 609 ALSO has a 2254 style limiter on it after the compressor. Pretty nice. I would be more inclined to use it on the master buss if all the pots were indented though. Sounds sweet. I haven't used the BAE 10DC.
As a counterpoint, I own a pair of 10DCs, but I've never used the 609. I generally like the Vintech stuff, though, so I bet it's good.

Anywho, the BAE is very nice. The adjustable attack times on the compressor side are what really attracted me to it; I've also got a fairly-new 33609JD and a vintage 33609 metal knob, and they sound great (the metal knob is way better, btw) but they can really eat transients. The 10DCs' adjustable attack time solves that problem. I wouldn't say the BAE sounds like an exact replica of the Neve (certainly not the metal knob Neve), but it does a thing that I really love. It's a permanent fixture in my mix rig, and for tracking, it is hands-down my favorite kick mic compressor ever.
Old 12th January 2015
Lives for gear

Eating transients is why they are so cool
Old 23rd February 2015
Here for the gear
Bump.. Would love to hear more comparison/contrasts between these two.
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

That 10DC is magical. Has some air benefits as well....
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
That 10DC is magical. Has some air benefits as well....
I agree.. I was actually the first one in europe to own a pair..

That said for mastering might be good or not so good, due to its colour.. I guess that like every other piece of gear in the world..sometimes works on some material and sometimes something cleaner might be better if you need to compress hard.. but it's very song/production tastes dependent..

btw going through its path for its weight is a very nice thing..

The 10dc is NOT a clone and has a class A output stage compared to the AB stage in the 33609.

For groups or single instruments is indeed magical..

Cheu
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Head
I absolutely love the 10dcs! I sold my dramatic obsidian a few weeks ago and these have been my 2 bus replacement! The obsidian had a super nice sheen to it bit the 10dcs sound more alive and muscular in a really musical way. I also love tracking vocals, bass and guitar through them. They some how make everything sound more expensive.
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Nut

bae 10dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme David View Post
I absolutely love the 10dcs! I sold my dramatic obsidian a few weeks ago and these have been my 2 bus replacement! The obsidian had a super nice sheen to it bit the 10dcs sound more alive and muscular in a really musical way. I also love tracking vocals, bass and guitar through them. They some how make everything sound more expensive.
And what pre's are you running into the 10dc's? Tube, SS with transformer, etc...? Would a BAE 1073 into the 10dc be too much transformer?

I own the BAE 1073 but not the 10dc, that's why I'm wondering...
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Head
I use a BAE 1073mpf it sounds mighty fine to me!
Old 29th February 2016
Here for the gear

So, is there anybody who have tried those two comps (Bae 10dc AND Vintech 609) ? I'm curious about theirs differences...
Old 29th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
As a counterpoint, I own a pair of 10DCs, but I've never used the 609. I generally like the Vintech stuff, though, so I bet it's good.

Anywho, the BAE is very nice. The adjustable attack times on the compressor side are what really attracted me to it; I've also got a fairly-new 33609JD and a vintage 33609 metal knob, and they sound great (the metal knob is way better, btw) but they can really eat transients. The 10DCs' adjustable attack time solves that problem. I wouldn't say the BAE sounds like an exact replica of the Neve (certainly not the metal knob Neve), but it does a thing that I really love. It's a permanent fixture in my mix rig, and for tracking, it is hands-down my favorite kick mic compressor ever.
Still loving my 10DCs. Selling my initial pair because as great as they are, I don't need four of em Still use them on nearly every mix, and on nearly every drum tracking session. Still the best kick drum compressor on the block. khfkh

Quote:
Eating transients is why they are so cool
And the adjustable attack time on the 10DC gives you the option to eat those transients, or to preserve them, so you get the best of either world.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

When I was using my 609ca I recalled loving the sweepable attack and release times as opposed to stepped. It also kept the sparkle as the unit compressed. Not sure if the 10dc sounds like that or has a more colored, darker or softer top end.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Has anyone actually compared the 10DC against a 33609 or pair of 2254s? Id be really curious if theyre similar at all or totally different.

1000 posts! woohoo!
Old 1st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
Has anyone actually compared the 10DC against a 33609 or pair of 2254s? Id be really curious if theyre similar at all or totally different.

1000 posts! woohoo!
I have, quite a bit. They all sound rather different. A 1:1 comparison is tough because the time constant controls are so different on the BAE, but compression aside, each has its own pretty distinct tone.
Old 1st March 2016
The new 10dc/f pair would be my choice after using both of these compressors. I really enjoyed the 10dc when I used this comp, the tone and compression action is like a glove around the audio signal.

The 10dc/f pair will come in a few hundred over the 609ca but imo worth it due to the sound, compression, box tone, filters , and the build quality.

If budget is an issue the vintech will still be a heavy hitter that is flexible and provides a great tone. Not so much of the glove feeling I experienced compression wise with the 10dc.
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

For both of these, you can find them used from time to time so have a peek around.
Old 2nd March 2016
I havnt used the BAE's but i used the 609 in a session a while back. It's been on my "to buy" list since. It doesnt sound exactly like a 33609 though I found. I didnt have them side by side, but the vintech just sounded more musical to me. Just my 0.02.
Old 2nd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
For both of these, you can find them used from time to time so have a peek around.
Yup. I've got a pair for sale that I'm about to lower the price on.
Old 4th March 2016
I'd love to see Vintech do a 1ru single channel version of the 609CA. It's got a really beautiful soft coloration, and it's very versatile in terms of functionality with the compressor + limiter section. Definitely one of the most underrated comps on the market IMHO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search