The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal Sound Bob Dylan Album 1962
Old 22nd January 2015
  #61
Lives for gear
 

The custom consoles at Columbia (and RCA) used BA-6a's as the final bus amplifiers.
Probably not safe to assume that limiting was always applied.
Columbia had their own console equalisers, photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Vocal Sound Bob Dylan Album 1962-front.jpg   Vocal Sound Bob Dylan Album 1962-inside.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2015
  #62
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
The custom consoles at Columbia (and RCA) used BA-6a's as the final bus amplifiers.
Probably not safe to assume that limiting was always applied.
Columbia had their own console equalisers, photos attached.
Thank you for that post! Do you mean they compressed the signal at the end of every individual bus or the sum of all busses? And do you think they used the Pultec EQs (which are often pictured in old Columbia Studio photos) only when they mastered the songs?
Old 23rd January 2015
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942Banner View Post
Thank you for that post! Do you mean they compressed the signal at the end of every individual bus or the sum of all busses? And do you think they used the Pultec EQs (which are often pictured in old Columbia Studio photos) only when they mastered the songs?
Do not assume limiting was the norm. A BA-6a has about 40 dB of gain and enormous headroom; thus an ideal final bus amplifier. 3 buses, 3 limiters.
By the era of 8 track and new consoles with monitor sections, BA-6a's were pretty much history.
Regarding your Pultec question, the subject has been discussed on other threads; eq and compression was rarely employed in mastering suites of the 1960's.
The attitude given the mastering room was "don't mess up my tape."
Pultecs were found in almost all control rooms.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
The attitude given the mastering room was "don't mess up my tape."
Those were the days.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump