The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small Sized Monitors for Editing
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

The Neumann KH120As are unbeatable. They are pretty small in size (I'm pretty sure they only have a 5.25 inch woofer) but they certainly don't sound small. The soundstage is absolutely gigantic and the bass extends well below 60hz. They translate better than almost any monitor I've heard and my mixes have never sounded better since switching to these. After using them for a few years now, they are, without a doubt, the best investment in gear I have made in a long time. They are awesome for casual listening too.
Old 15th January 2015
Old 20th January 2015
I realize this may be the wrong forum (high end), but the JBL LSR305 are really good. They're small and light. I've done some good mixes with them.

Last edited by clearwave; 20th January 2015 at 02:23 PM..
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

In my opinion, the BM5 and BM Compact are bad. They are just too noisy and they seem to pick up interference. They're notable for also not using grounded plugs (compared to the rest of the Dynaudio line.) You have to start with the BM6 and above there.

I would suggest the small Genelecs and the KH120A however, honestly, open-ear headphones from Sennheiser (600 and up) or the like are a much better choice if doing editing and not mixing. You'll have a better chance of catching any issues and they'll be comfortable. Much better frequency response than any small speakers (better for catching noises while tracking.) Pair with a good headphone amp which hopefully has a crossfeed feature to shift the soundstage to a more speaker-like image and you'll be hard pressed to find anything better.
Old 22nd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
The Neumann KH120As are unbeatable. They are pretty small in size (I'm pretty sure they only have a 5.25 inch woofer) but they certainly don't sound small. The soundstage is absolutely gigantic and the bass extends well below 60hz. They translate better than almost any monitor I've heard and my mixes have never sounded better since switching to these. After using them for a few years now, they are, without a doubt, the best investment in gear I have made in a long time. They are awesome for casual listening too.
+1

Very flat and easy to mix on, and tiny
Old 22nd January 2015
I have the Pelonis 42 and think they are brilliant for low volume editing,mixing.
I don't want any bloated low end,it's all about the mids.I love using these for vocal sessions
and the ability to position them easily is nice.

Lately i have been using the internal mac book pro speakers as well,kinda crappy in all the right ways.
Old 22nd January 2015
Emi
Gear Addict

I´d go gor Genelec 8010 as some above already mentioned.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search