The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reddi di
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Reddi di

I recently picked up a used REDDI and was tracking with it this week. There is a lot of static and hum I get from the box. It is usable because the bass sound is well above the floor noise but it's a very narrow balance between the REDDI, set at about 10 o'clock on the dial, going into a mixer channel with gain set around 20 then routed to a Lynx Converter. I bypassed the mixer and went directly to the converters as well and still some noticeable hum.

Just wondering if others are seeing this and if it's normal or should this be clean as a whistle with almost indiscernible noise. On the outside chance it's a failing tube, I ordered one and it comes in tomorrow.

Anyone with a REDDI care to comment?
Old 5th January 2015
Jai guru deva om

I would simply get in touch with A-Designs Audio's Peter Montessi, who is in West Hills California and ask him. He is very helpful and would know what to suggest.

War
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks. I had already reached out to Peter and he walked me through some options. I was wanting to hear from some actual users to verify their experience.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Anyone with a REDDI care to comment?
I have a REDDI in my room, it is not mine.

I have never had a hint of trouble with the REDDI. Sounds like something is not quite right with yours.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Mine has none of the problems you describe. None at all. Very quiet. If you haven't opened it up, I'd do so and hope for something simple. If not, you may need to send it in for servicing
L.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, I thought that might be the case. I'm going to swap out the tube to see if that is the issue. If not, I will send it in for servicing.

The single coil Jazz bass pickups seem to be susceptible to bringing some of the noise but even when I move away from the noise source there is still this hum just below the bass signal that is annoying.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

I use my REDDI for live work a lot of the time. I bring it when I'm doing higher end PA gigs and/or live recordings. That being said, I have found on occasion that it can be sensitive to ground state on a stage, especially with amps that aren't wired as well (GK amps tend to be the worst, but I've also had isolated issues with Edens and a few others). In almost all cases, if I lift ground on the whole DI (using an electrical lift- not the switch), those problems disappear. I think as many of those issues, however, are because of bad design elsewhere. not necessarily the DI.

--Ben
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

I think the REDDI has a solid reputation, but I can't speak for this particular unit's past life. Just trying to remedy the issues without sending to the factory.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear
I can turn the gain up full and it is still very quiet. I use it in the studio only. Something is wrong with yours.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Nut

Are any of your studio lights on dimmers? I sometimes have interference issues from my dimmer circuits when using the REDDI with single coil passive basses. My other DIs never seem to be affected.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andl View Post
Are any of your studio lights on dimmers? I sometimes have interference issues from my dimmer circuits when using the REDDI with single coil passive basses. My other DIs never seem to be affected.
No dimmers. But interesting that it would be more sensitive.
Old 6th January 2015
Deleted User
Something's probably wrong. Mine's glorious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search