The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
if you would have to choose 1 outboard compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Do not forget to check the Qes Labs Variable Gm. A very flexible compressor in some regards, because of a fairly extensive feature list, fairly intuitive to work with.
Great sound for mix bus and mastering duties, wide and open soundstage, extended low end and shimmering highs.
Old 6th December 2016

So much use for it. Vocals, bass , snare , room mics. I remember it quite clear when i got my first 1176 that that was the piece i should have gotten first. I got a ssl clone first but it should be the other way around.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inthemorning View Post
Do not forget to check the Qes Labs Variable Gm. A very flexible compressor in some regards, because of a fairly extensive feature list, fairly intuitive to work with.
Great sound for mix bus and mastering duties, wide and open soundstage, extended low end and shimmering highs.
How do you find it for tracking? Can it be fairly invisible?

I am curious about this box versus, say, a Chandler RS-124 for leveling and tone in the tracking stage.
Old 9th December 2016
Gear Maniac

The Variable Gm can be very transparent, with a subtle warmth and the ability to heap gain‑reduction onto a vocal or bass track without audible side‑effects.
Maybe not as fast as a Dbx 160 feed-forward VCA, but a useful shaping tool when you need to squish a fair amount, but don't want to lose all the nice top you got off the microphone.
As said, this unit has a natural inclination towards the mix bus and mastering duties, where you retain dynamic control, detail, open and threedimensional image.
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

Trakker is definitely the most Versatile compressor I have ever used. It's not my favorite of all time, but it can do almost everything I want it to do. So I guess if I was forever to have one that would get my vote.
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

LA2a
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

(not a typo)
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

Haven't heard them all of course, but of what I've driven a lot it's the Foote P4 DMS.
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

Distressor.
Sounds good on anything and doesn't have tubes and what not that break and/or need maintenance. So good for on the road.
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post

(not a typo)
Worked with a vintage unit, the sound is terrific!
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
Trakker is definitely the most Versatile compressor I have ever used. It's not my favorite of all time, but it can do almost everything I want it to do. So I guess if I was forever to have one that would get my vote.
+1, or Titans
Old 5th January 2017
I have 99% of the units spoken here, and more sorry, but these units all have there points... what I can say, off course I will more some then others, but I will never use one unit because I like more, I will use to get the result I want in the context... it will be used for the sound . So we can stay all night and year speaking about units and there carateristics and goals pros and etc... I just think what I intend to do, and to get from the source them I choose what I have best for....
Old 3rd March 2017
I whould consider this also...

But a mid rande atck style vca is the most versatile and less expensive, maybe.
Other options are fet valve style like a designs nail compressor or fet optical like shadow hills mastering compressor or spl one iron...

Elisya xpressor is a killer for the price very good... and also very versatile... for the buck that's the one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
How about Cransong Titan or dangerous audio Compressor ?
The thing with Titan is colour control to achieve different colour.
The thing with Dangerous audio Compressor is its transparency and the respect for source audio,
transperent compression which leaves you to the opportunity to do the colour before or after the compressor.

Personally from a pure philosphpic stand point the Dangerous audio compressor attracts me more. I like Color
but there is so many things in the chain that could add color So I do not see any specific reason why it should be coloured in the compressor.
Its most important job for me is probably transparency in most cases. But there is scenarious I would like to add compressor colour too.. then Titan would be nice.. I would want to have both to complete each other. But if I only had to decide one I would choose the dangerous audio compressor.

Or does any other people have any recommendations ? are the dangerous audio compressor in the lead when it comes to transparency ?
From what I have heard it sound not as an compressor in many ways I like that.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

If money were no option I would get a Fairchild 670 otherwise it would be either an 1176 or a CL1B and I'm not sure which one I'd choose if the boat was leaving for the island. Might have to flip a coin.
Old 3rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_lameiro View Post

Elisya xpressor is a killer for the price very good... and also very versatile... for the buck that's the one...
+1
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_lameiro View Post
We had one of the dual rack versions of the Elysia Xpressor here until a few weeks ago (I sold it with a view to partially funding a second 176...).

However I agree with all three of the things you're saying here. It's good. It's versatile and it is bang for buck.; All of which were reasons I was a bit sad to part with it.

In the context of this thread: "if you had to choose 1 outboard compressor" - the Xpressor is well worth the mention you've given it. That is' it does a number of different things well, and doesn't impart so much of its own character to constrain the style and intent of use.

In a rack where there are numerous other choices for outboard compression, those qualities are not in as much demand, with the result that I found the Xpressor more taking the role of a useful extra rather than a core tool. In different circumstances (perhaps in its new home) I can see it getting a lot more use.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear
Revive modded warm 2A is great bang for buck choice.

And because it has not shown up on the thread, TCE M6000 or M5000 w/ MD2. The TCE stuff is digital not analog, but man they work good on a mix.
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Nut

+1 to the Titan. Everything Dave makes is pretty great, but the Titan seems to be all of his best ideas in one. The single most useful piece of gear I own.
Old 13th March 2017
Atomic squeeze box!!
Old 14th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Confused? Bet you are given the length of thread....what do you get in the end?
For drum buss: maybe API 2500
For mix buss: maybe SSL
For vox: maybe dbx160vu or 1176
For everything and your purposes definitely the GML 8900. If you can find one. The best comp ever in my opinion.

Last edited by kikumotoallstars; 14th March 2017 at 10:46 AM..
Old 14th March 2017
Foote P3ex
Aurora audio gtc2
API 2500
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Al Smart C2 for mix buss

For tracking, Hmmm!...maybe the Tube Tech Cl2a or the Daking FETII
Old 15th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumotoallstars View Post
Confused? Bet you are given the length of thread....what do you get in the end?
For drum buss: maybe API 2500
For mix buss: maybe SSL -----Vertigo VSC-2 Better and more versatile
For vox: maybe dbx160vu or 1176 ----retro one or maybe empirical labs distress
For everything and your purposes definitely the GML 8900. If you can find one. The best comp ever in my opinion.
i agree it´s a good and expensive option, but the best i would not say that, you have a cheep one expressor from elysia same type of big brother alpha but in pcb... watch out for this one is killer...
Old 15th March 2017
Gear Maniac
The Atomic Squeeze Box can do so many jobs well.

In my collection I'd probably keep the UnFairchild above everything else at the moment but that's an expensive piece. The ASB would be my realistic-budget only comp I think. The mono ones come up used for great prices now and then.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

I couldn't be assed to read 4 pages and I assume it's been mentioned but desert island would come down to a battle to the death between an Empirical Labs EL8-X (Distessor)
or the RETRO 176.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search