The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
if you would have to choose 1 outboard compressor
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
hi,

so my question is: if you would have to choose 1 analog compressor to work with which one would it be? I mainly produce electronic dance music; techno, house etc.. I only have budget for 1 very good outboard compressor. i'd like to be able to run my drum bus through it, compress bass, drums to vocals with it, but also will be using it as master bus compressor.

so far the models i've been looking into are:
- rupert neve design portico 2 master bus
- api 2500
- phoenix
- ssl
- TUBE-TECH SMC 2B
- Manley vari mu

eventually i'd like to own them all someday
the thing that is interesting to me about the portico 2 master bus is it's stereo field editing options, SC feat and parallel compression.

what would be your suggestion? they are all very good compressors obviously, with totally different sounds... but i can only choose 1 for now. so which one should it be?

1176 (UA, Purple Audio, Revive Audio, Mohog Audio, any clone) for vocals and bass.

Get a handful of UAD plugins for everything else. The SSL E Channel and API EQ Collection are very good.

Fabfilter's Pro-C compressor plugin is very good too.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Good review, the impression I get is the P4 varients are really as good as it gets when it comes to a versatile but massively high quality stereo compressor, with huge soundstage that blows a lot of others out the water!

Yep mine will just have one set of stereo controls, but should be pretty similar to your DMS. Maybe your DMS has carnhill transformers? Mine will have cinemag.

Can't wait!

I have a later ver. w/ the biggie Cinemags.
You're impressions sound correct to me. You will be happy.
I'm glad I took Dougs impressions seriously.

Roger very much deserves the attention of more recording folks, as the mastering folk already know.
Old 10th January 2015
SEED78
I think once a few of these get out for review the word could start spreading fast. There does already seem to be a good fan base with mastering guys for Foote gear like you say, so maybe the P4 will kick off once properly released and people figure out how highly spec'd this unit is!

Have you tried it in vocals BTW?
Old 11th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post

Have you tried it in vocals BTW?
Since getting it two weeks ago I've been committed to finishing some mixes.
Betting it wil be equally useful for tracking.
Old 12th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
can comment on the API, Manley and TT... none of them will excel for all your tasks, also these are 3 different types of compressors, vca, vari mu and opto. The API is cool on the drumbuss, also master, lots of flexibility with the "tone" section. but for vocals I'd prefer the TT, for bass probably the Manley. IMO the most tonal flexibility you will get out the 2500. good luck
I own the API 2500 and have used the the Manley a lot and I agree with this post. Tonally the API will be most versatile and probably best on drum buss. Not so versatile as a vocal comp, or a bass comp.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok. so some people say the RND MBP is really transparent, unless the tres is cranked up.

i'd just thought of informing all the people who gave some good advice here about what my move is going to be regarding the compressor purchase:

I instead opted to buy a mixing room, professionally build with all the right materials and acoustically measured, with flat frequency response - measured by genelec. the room is really good, i was actually amazed how good it sounded as it's only 12 m2. but it's enough and it's flat, not sure about under 40Hz.. would have to measure again once we got a subwoofer installed. but yeah finally a pro studio room. the room comes with ns10's, genelec 8240's and folcrom passive summing box, and some other gear. interested about the folcrom after i amp it up through my 2-610 should sound sweet. we do have the ssl xdesk for summing to our disposal aswell.
So instead of buying an expensive compressor i chose to go for the room instead.
this move was not planned, but i had to grab this opportunity.
Well.....I personally think this is a very deft and smart move, I mean there is no real point in buying high end Audio gear unless you can trust your ears and know that your getting a true and solid Aural representation, I would not be so worried about under 40hz, I'd be inclined to roll off most instruments save around 4-6 crucial full bass channels so overall, damn solid move, as I think you'll find the sooner your mixes become more true to you the better such compressors and equalisers will sound, and more so on your whole master buss material then say certain channel instruments, nice too see someone finally turn left and take one of the best moves possible rather then go though the multi event of master bus compressor agony and the choosing thereof. Good for you Man!

Solid move!

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Addict

If I could only choose one compressor?

Simple.

Pick just about any version that you want.

Id all that you had was say 8 of those, you could make a good record.

I could say the same thing about the distressor.

Now were the question; which of my limiters would I never part with and would carry with me to the grave?

Easy:

Retro Sta Level
Retro 176.

They are the funnest pieces of gear to use. Simple sublime joy.

In terms of versatility the 1176 would still be that holy grail comp.
Old 18th January 2015

No freeking question. The compressor on this thing ROCKS.

Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Compared to most if not all of the 'new' stuff the 'old' stuff sounds way better. My favorites are the Vacuvox and the Neve 83046 / 32264a.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Neve MBC does it perfectly.
Knif Vari Mu does it with incredible magic without spoiling anything.
Elysia Alpha goes one big step further of any compressor in existence, but it is not absolute must.

If hard pressed to pick one for dessert island it would be most likely Neve.
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Maniac

My favourite bluestripe
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Foote P4S DMS or Neve MBP.
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

I'm glad I don't have to worry about having only one option!!!!
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear
Well I only have three, although I used most of the usual suspects.

So I'll go with my new Retro STA Level, it sounds fantastic on everything but especially tracking my vocals.
Old 27th February 2016
Gear Nut

I have a pair of RND Portico II Channels Linked up, which is basically a RND Portico II MBP minus the Mid/Side processing but with an EQ, DI, and Pre. Definitely worth the $$! Especially when you consider the added bonus of the Blend (Parallel Processing) function of the compressors and the Silk and Silk+. I absolutely love them!
Old 28th February 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Neve MBC does it perfectly.
Knif Vari Mu does it with incredible magic without spoiling anything.
Elysia Alpha goes one big step further of any compressor in existence, but it is not absolute must.

If hard pressed to pick one for dessert island it would be most likely Neve.
Do you mean portico MBP? I'm in the process of picking KNIF Vari Mu 2 and would like to get your opinion of the two. Where do you find using one over the other?
Plus Do you have the Knif Amorphous core transformers?
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

If i had to buy a compressor that I could use for drum bus, tracking bass and vocals, and later for stereo bus....

...I'd buy a great $3k compressor.

That is, a Warm 76+ Warm 2A+ DBX 560A + TK 501. (=$3k)

Or if you will, substitute the Warm 2A with the Heritage 2264jr (which also offers a pre)

Despite their prices, those are world class units (haven't heard the WA2A, but if it's like other Warm stuff, it will be great).

And all the above is with me not liking the 500 series at all.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
If i had to buy a compressor that I could use for drum bus, tracking bass and vocals, and later for stereo bus....

...I'd buy a great $3k compressor.

That is, a Warm 76+ Warm 2A+ DBX 560A + TK 501. (=$3k)

Or if you will, substitute the Warm 2A with the Heritage 2264jr (which also offers a pre)

Despite their prices, those are world class units (haven't heard the WA2A, but if it's like other Warm stuff, it will be great).

And all the above is with me not liking the 500 series at all.
Is the WA76 currently the best clone out there of a black face D revision 1176 completely money aside.

You can't buy a UA 1176 in Europe new any more due to EU regs on ROHS so I'm looking for an 1176.

There are the Wes Audio Beta76 and the WA76 readily available - I'm wondering if the WA76 is the closest to the original?
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
hi,

so my question is: if you would have to choose 1 analog compressor to work with which one would it be? I mainly produce electronic dance music; techno, house etc.. I only have budget for 1 very good outboard compressor. i'd like to be able to run my drum bus through it, compress bass, drums to vocals with it, but also will be using it as master bus compressor.

so far the models i've been looking into are:
- rupert neve design portico 2 master bus
- api 2500
- phoenix
- ssl
- TUBE-TECH SMC 2B
- Manley vari mu

eventually i'd like to own them all someday
the thing that is interesting to me about the portico 2 master bus is it's stereo field editing options, SC feat and parallel compression.

what would be your suggestion? they are all very good compressors obviously, with totally different sounds... but i can only choose 1 for now. so which one should it be?
Of the ones I use, for a first bus comp, I'd recommend the RND MBP, or the SSL G Series bus comp (I use the X-rack version).
Old 1st March 2016
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear
the neve master bus and the xpressor are simply amazing for electronic music just listened to them recently they outperform lot of units, would also cranesong stc 8 and Shadow Hills Vandegraph.
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Once I installed the Fearn VT-7 my quest for a great compressor ended.
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Maniac

I really should say something more versatile like the Elysia Alpha Compressor, but to be honest without doubt If i could choose one outboard compressor, I'd take an Anthony Demaria Labs 670 (over the Fairchild as it sounds as good, is easier to maintain, repair, and service).
Old 29th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian_DE View Post
if you can have only one. this is your best bet.

pro audio store - MS Compressor
Interesting didn´t know that one, and there´s all there...

What topology it it...
Old 29th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
If I could only choose one compressor?

Simple.

Pick just about any version that you want.

Id all that you had was say 8 of those, you could make a good record.

I could say the same thing about the distressor.

Now were the question; which of my limiters would I never part with and would carry with me to the grave?

Easy:

Retro Sta Level
Retro 176.

They are the funnest pieces of gear to use. Simple sublime joy.

In terms of versatility the 1176 would still be that holy grail comp.

i Agree with this for mix, with 2 distressors you make a excelente bus comp, and with inline com 1176 or distressor you have a fast and versatile comp, but 1176 don´t deal well with big low ends like any fet topology comps so add a tg1 for that for example...
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Hello. When I was in this position a number of years ago I tried the API 2500, Focustrie Red 3, Neve 33609 (a version from about 5 years ago), and a couple of others that I forget. And of course Ward Beck (but I had those already). For a buss compressor I quite preferred the API over all the ones I tried. I was fortunate enough to have all the compressors in my studio for a few weeks to push, turn, tweak to my little hearts content. The Neve vs the Api - I could NOT justify the huge price difference between the two vs the tone of the two. Yes they are different but money is money - I went the API route. I bought a pair of the 225L modules, and put them in the 4 space rack. It was the best for me. I could tie them together like a 2 channel compressor (similar to the 2500 in function - same "sound"), and gave me the flexibility of 2 (eventually 4) individual compressors - where the 2500 would always be a ganged 2 channel unit.

Of course the WBS was the best of the bunch - but I am biased a little bit.

The Manley products - I do not like them - love their marketing and sales parlance, but using the devices, and looking at them does not appeal to me. I do a bunch of tech work, and when a Manley hits my bench - ugh. They work, some have really odd manufacturing paradigms that I just do not understand why they did things that way, and their sound is not to my liking. So what ever on that opinion. However everything is through hole, schematics can be had when requested, support from the company is there - both of these points are lacking in MOST companies these days, and their devices often have features that are unique, or combine functions like no others. So really these cats are on their own curve, and do have a very solid base, loyalty, and you do see them in studios - not on e-bay (thus people who like them, keep them and use them). Something to be said there.

SSL - again as a tech, they are all smt devices. So service is a HUGE PITA. They do work well, and of course have that sound (like everything) - but are unique in how they interface in to your world. The Manely, API, Neve, what ever typically interface nicely - SSL either you buy an x-rack system, an API 500 series system, or a hugely expensive 1u device that might give you the sound you want but not the flexibility of the others (mainly a dual mono unit). So you either buy in to a system, or have a limited use stand-alone unit (sterio bus and that's it).

As usual try before you buy (I am a little late to this game to mention that I guess), and think of flexibility - not necessarily in the device it-self, but in how you use it or could use it, to thus get as much of a bang for your buck.

Regards,

Wb!
Old 29th November 2016
I've used them all in depth. For all around, go for the Tube Tech. Others are better at specific things, but the Tube Tech is as good as you're going to get for an all-rounder.
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Nut

from your list i would pick: TUBE-TECH SMC 2B

if you are looking outside that list i would go HCL VARIS.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Of all the compressors I've owned and used, and I love all different types of good compression, I'd pick the Innertube Audio Dual Atomic Squeezebox if I had to choose just one. That box can do most anything well.
Old 30th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Of all the compressors I've owned and used, and I love all different types of good compression, I'd pick the Innertube Audio Dual Atomic Squeezebox if I had to choose just one. That box can do most anything well.
+1!!! The ASB is a magic box!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search