The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2015: Which of these LFAC's do you prefer? Consoles
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head

2015: Which of these LFAC's do you prefer?

For tracking?
For mixing?

SSL DUALITY

NEVE 88R(S)

API LEGACY PLUS

Thanks!
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwm View Post
For tracking?
For mixing?

SSL DUALITY

NEVE 88R(S)

API LEGACY PLUS

Thanks!
If those are the only options, then I'd go for the 88R for both tracking and mixing.
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
If those are the only options, then I'd go for the 88R for both tracking and mixing.
They are all great desks. It's just a flavour/preference thing at this level.
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They are all great desks. It's just a flavour/preference thing at this level.
Agreed. All very desirable and capable consoles. The differences in layout/workflow and "sonic signature" come down to taste and work style.

It would perhaps be more productive if gwm listed some of his/her criteria, which would then allow folk to offer suggestions about the best fit. Otherwise it's just a case of offering up subjective views which will (or at least, should) have little bearing on the choice to be made by the OP.
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

In days past some would track on the Neve and API for it's preamp coloration / EQ and mix on a SSL for it's extra routing flexability.

Now days during tracking most would not use just a LFAC's mic pres only given the vast options of exterior preamps. The same is true of specialized outboard use during tracking instead of whatever a desk has on it's input strips. As for adding coloration, these days it can be added at many stages so it boils down to taste and workflow subjective choice (we even have colored converters for some reason).

For mixing the best LFAC fit is often determined by your needs, budget, and workflow methods. There are often some limitations per individual desk as for it's specific signal flow options that you need to understand which will dictate workflow options (hense read each manual and schematics to know what you can and can not do with each canidate).

Lastly it would be foolish to rule out any used desk purchase as it's not uncommon to find a LFAC selling for 10% to 20% of it's original price. It's not hard to see how picking up a former $80K - $100K desk for around $10k would get you so much more than any new $20k - $40k offering besides keeping a lot of cash in your pocket.
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head

Simple, direct answers please. Thanks!
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head
If limited to only those three options, I'd find myself leaning towards the API. Not just for the pres, but also because of the EQs.
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Simple, direct answers please. Thanks!
Ok.

Tracking: the API or Neve

Mixing: the API, Neve or SSL.
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

One of our customers traded in his Legacy for a Legacy Plus (second one made) and has been making hits on it for 15+ years. Solid investment that has generated platinum records and will continue to do so.
The Duality is a valid option...the 88R not.
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Guru

I don't trust the Duality, based on the one I have any experience using. Its at a school, and my time with it has been limited, but ever year at a conference I'm a panelist, it is always a pain in the balls in one way or another. I believe it was an early one, and may of the kinks have been worked out, and I like the concept for sure.

I lust after an API Legacy+
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Tracking: 1st neve, 2nd API
Mixing: either SSL or neve.
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
One of our customers traded in his Legacy for a Legacy Plus (second one made) and has been making hits on it for 15+ years. Solid investment that has generated platinum records and will continue to do so.
The Duality is a valid option...the 88R not.
The 88RS is a pretty stunning board. Why don't you even count it as a 'valid option'?
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head

The API sounds great, but feels a little 'cheap' - a lot of crackly switches that need exercising regularly.
The Neve's Montserrat remote preamps are by far the best sounding, although controlling them from the console is infuriating.
For mixing, the SSL has an automation system which is head and shoulders above Neve's Encore (caveat - I've never used an API with automation)
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear
It would be the Api for me if tracking and mixing
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The 88RS is a pretty stunning board. Why don't you even count it as a 'valid option'?

Support...or lack thereof

May be different in the UK
Old 5th January 2015
Quote:
simple, direct answers please. Thanks!
Neve 88 RS

R.
Old 6th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Support...or lack thereof

May be different in the UK
Wow. That's pretty amazing/sad to hear.

If anyone is out there with a Neve board, I have a great Neve tech!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search