The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AML ez1073-500 500 Series Preamps
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

AML ez1073-500

I´m thinking of buying a new micpre (neve style) just for vocals with a ref c manley, and maybe the ez1073-500 is the way to go, are there any of you who have try´d the ez1073-500 and have some experience with that micpre?

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

It gets nothing but rave reviews around here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aml+...w=1417&bih=811

just a few from doing a search.

I have a pair. Use them on the mix bus too.
Old 3rd January 2015
Gear Head

I have a pair, and they're stunning. Detailed and articulate, but with serious weight and heft. Can't go wrong with them. Unless you need fancy knobs...
Old 3rd January 2015
I have 8 of them. I had a sidecar to my API console built and wanted 8 neve channels built in. I originally planned to have 8 vintage 1084s put in there but decided to see what there was in 500 series first. I tried most everything there was at that point. I liked the AML best so bought 8 of them. Here's the thread:

Neve/API hybrid console (custom made)
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you for shiming in Another question, are there any love for their compressor as well?
Old 3rd January 2015
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have 8 of them. I had a sidecar to my API console built and wanted 8 neve channels built in. I originally planned to have 8 vintage 1084s put in there but decided to see what there was in 500 series first. I tried most everything there was at that point. I liked the AML best so bought 8 of them. Here's the thread:

Neve/API hybrid console (custom made)
I bough one following Trev's recommendation and I can assure you it is top notch. In good company and on the same level as our other outboard preamps in the control room (V72, Mercury, Helios and Telefunkens)
Old 3rd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand View Post
Thank you for shiming in Another question, are there any love for their compressor as well?
The 54F50 compressor is simply sublime. It has a beautiful sparkle to it.
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
It gets nothing but rave reviews around here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aml+...w=1417&bih=811

just a few from doing a search.

I have a pair. Use them on the mix bus too.
Hello. Im interested in purchasing the aml ez1073 but I notice it doesnt have a output trim? Is this a problem. Is there away around this. Ive been reading and people have been using it with a capi missing link but do not have the funds for that. Is there an alternative way? Thank you
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siopao777 View Post
Hello. Im interested in purchasing the aml ez1073 but I notice it doesnt have a output trim? Is this a problem. Is there away around this. Ive been reading and people have been using it with a capi missing link but do not have the funds for that. Is there an alternative way? Thank you
When I first got my pair I used a few methods.

1: Feed one ez1073 into the other.

2: Use my Coleman monitor controller as an attenuator.

3: Use a CAPI VP28 as attenuator.

4: Use a GAS rack unit or similar

GAS A-10 Attenuator
Old 7th January 2015
Quote:
I have had output trims inserted on mine. I think it's a pretty simple mod.
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Maybe its better if I save some more money so I can get the capi missing link. Do you know another place where I can get them pre built. I found a place where they sell it but they never replied back. Im really not good and diy stuff and dont really want to screw up.
Old 8th January 2015
Quote:
Maybe its better if I save some more money so I can get the capi missing link. Do you know another place where I can get them pre built. I found a place where they sell it but they never replied back. Im really not good and diy stuff and dont really want to screw up.
Missing link will be post output transformer. Output trim is pre outputtransformer I think.
Old 8th January 2015
Lives for gear

I seriously want to build a stereo pair of the 19" - id love an assembled pair but barring a lotto win I dont think will be possible - its amzing that we have the oportunity to build these at the very reasonable price he charges. I calculate I can build them for $1350 AUD - a stereo pair of (in my opinion) the best reissues of pre and eq - 4 channels of Neve pre and eq for $1340 AUD. Thank you Colin....
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Nut

Theres a new 2254 compressor kit as well...
Audio Maintenance Limited Kits
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

My stereo pair of aml 2254 kits just arrived. I have a lot of soldering to do!

http://www.fasttrax.us/gallery/aml2254.jpg
Old 8th January 2015
Lives for gear

please report back..... COngrats!
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOC View Post
Theres a new 2254 compressor kit as well...
Audio Maintenance Limited Kits
Erm....that is AML etc
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
All you have to do is jump R134 to ground and replace R135 with a 10K resistor and boom. You now have a full fader at the correct impedance the HPF likes to see. Just like a vintage Neve console or a vintage king rack.
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
All you have to do is jump R134 to ground and replace R135 with a 10K resistor and boom. You now have a full fader at the correct impedance the HPF likes to see. Just like a vintage Neve console or a vintage king rack.
Ignore that, it is wrong.... it is not even referring to the correct product.

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Maniac

The correct procedure would be as follows (for a rev5 PCB):

"Modification for external gain control of 1073-500

Remove R48

Lift pin 3 of PL 10 out of the PCB
[PL 10 is on the output amplifier PCB, pin 1 is closest to the 470uF caps]

Add 3 wires;

Yellow to the lifted pin of PL10
Red to the empty hole of R48 nearest to the edge connector
Black to the empty hole of R48 nearest to the 470uF caps

Add 5k log fader wired as per P&G standard"

If you intend to go any distance.... use screened wires.

This is a modification which would only be suitable for someone who does this type of work on a daily basis.... you could easily damage the PCB.

Adding attenuation after the output is an entirely different thing and will not really have the desired effect..... usually done because the converters being fed are incapable of accepting a professional +24dBu level..... to which I would say.... "buy some proper converters"

Colin
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post

Remove R48

Add 3 wires;

This is a modification which would only be suitable for someone who does this type of work on a daily basis.... you could easily damage the PCB.

Adding attenuation after the output is an entirely different thing and will not really have the desired effect..... usually done because the converters being fed are incapable of accepting a professional +24dBu level..... to which I would say.... "buy some proper converters"

Colin

Hi Colin,

I didn't have a 5K fader a couple years ago when I did this. It worked perfectly fine using the (resistor in parallel method) to make the 10K fader act as a 5K... I'm talking about the 19 Inch rack unit and the 10K the kit comes with...not the 500 series. It does work without any problems.

Not sure why you would think that's codswallop... It's the exact same way my vintage king rack for my AMS modules did it, electronically it is correct for a full fader with full attenuation.

I'm pretty sure he meant the 19 Inch rack unit, not the 500 series. But if not, then yes. Ignore me.

Lastly you could just put a 5K pot instead of the 10K that's currently there but electronically they are both exactly the same if modded the way I did. You would still need to remove R134 and jump it to ground and in that case remove R135 altogether.

If you're talking about the 500 series then yes this method will not work. Works great with the 19 Inch unit though for those seeking having a full range fader before hitting the 3rd gain stage.

The reason I put a full fader on my units, and I imagine the reason other people want this as well is to be able to abuse the input stage without clipping their converters... This just wasn't possible with a 10dB trim.

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
AML ez1073-500-full-fader-mod-ez1073.jpg  
Old 9th January 2015
Quote:
Hi Colin,

Not sure why you would think that's codswallop... It's the exact same way my vintage king rack for my AMS modules did it, electronically it is correct for a full fader with full attenuation.

Aaron
He didn't say it was codswallop to be fair. He said it 'is a different thing' as in it will give you a different outcome. On original Neve desks the fader was pre-output transformer.
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
He didn't say it was codswallop to be fair. He said it 'is a different thing' as in it will give you a different outcome. On original Neve desks the fader was pre-output transformer.

Yes but that's exactly how it is with the ez1073 unit. The 19 inch version. Colin put a fader before the 3rd gain stage pre output transformer... Just like a original desk.

The mod is simply to turn the 10db trim into a full fader while keeping the impedance around 5K...
Old 9th January 2015
Quote:
Yes but that's exactly how it is with the ez1073 unit. The 19 inch version. Colin put a fader before the 3rd gain stage pre output transformer... Just like a original desk.

The mod is simply to turn the 10db trim into a full fader while keeping the impedance around 5K...
But this whole thread has been about the 500 series. The OP says so and Colin says that's what he is referring to.
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
But this whole thread has been about the 500 series. The OP says so and Colin says that's what he is referring to.
No worries my friend.

However, I think allot of people with the 19 Inch units still read and post in this thread as well and the info might be useful to users with this version. I made sure in my last post that I was talking about the 19 inch kit version and not the 500 series.

Since there s not thread for the kit version I thought this would be a good place to post how I put full faders on my units.

Edit: I thought this was the other ez1073-500 thread... I guess there is 2 now.
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post

Remove R48

Add 3 wires;

Colin
...I contacted AML through their website to see the following, and thought I'd post here as well in case anyone else knows / others are interested:

1. Is possible to purchase modified pre-amps direct from AML.

2. With this modification, is it possible to gain stage in such a way to increase the distortion (ie. to get a little more grit on the signal)?
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post
...I contacted AML through their website to see the following, and thought I'd post here as well in case anyone else knows / others are interested:

1. Is possible to purchase modified pre-amps direct from AML.

2. With this modification, is it possible to gain stage in such a way to increase the distortion (ie. to get a little more grit on the signal)?
Has anyone done this mod?

Never hear anything about it.

I have tried to contact AML several times with no luck.

I have REV 4 innards.

Old 10th February 2016
Quote:
Has anyone done this mod?

Never hear anything about it.

I have tried to contact AML several times with no luck.

I have REV 4 innards.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it other than me. Not sure if it is possible prior to rev 5 but I can ask the question if you like?
Old 10th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't heard of anyone doing it other than me. Not sure if it is possible prior to rev 5 but I can ask the question if you like?
If you can get a response I would appreciate it.

are you enjoying your ez1073 more since the modification?

Old 10th February 2016
Quote:
If you can get a response I would appreciate it.

are you enjoying your ez1073 more since the modification?

I am seeing Colin on Saturday so will ask him then.

I'm not sure it is possible to like it more but it certainly adds a different dimension.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search