The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland RSS 8048 3d simulator users & bypassing the ADA modules Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Roland RSS 8048 3d simulator users & bypassing the ADA modules

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 3d simulator Roland RSS 8048 which is yet to arrive. It's the ridiculously large 6U and controller (circa 1990), refer image.

Since two of the units are reserved for the analog/digital conversion (ADA-8024) I was wondering if it is possible to bypass and go straight to the DAW via AES or am I missing something.

I understand there weren't too many of these produced so probably not a lot of users out there but if you could share your experience it would be appreciated.

Thx,

K

Old 2nd January 2015
Congrats on that rare beast! I only have a RSS-10 but I have the brochures of the bigger system here too. The converters work with AES/EBU - so you should be fine. The only problem might be that, like the RSS-10, the converters will probably work with emphasis activated. So maybe the RSS-8048 expects emphasis at the inputs too. You might have to use filter plug ins in your DAW to compensate for this. I notice the RSS-10 was internally working with emphasis because it's rather easy to overdrive the unit with signals containing loud high freqs.
I wish I could build an AES in-out into my RSS-10 too, but I didn't find out how yet. The RSS still beats all the 3D plug ins I have tried so far (longcat, Flux SPAT, Pan5 etc...).
I've made a whole album with it using headphone mode: https://palantir.bandcamp.com/album/empire-of-illusions

Ah, on a closer look: Emphasis can be switched on/off at the AD converters. Maybe the main unit recognizes the flag correctly and you might be good.

Chris
Old 2nd January 2015
Old 2nd January 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. I did see the other thread but the conclusion wasn't clear re: ADA. If I can avoid the extra rack space it woud be handy.

These units seem to be gathering a bit of a cult following. I have the RSS-10 also. It's arguably better than the RSS-8048 with the additional functions but a 8048 came up at a reasonable price so I couldn't pass it up.

The headphone mode is amazing on the RSS-10. I'll definitely check your band camp album.
Old 12th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Hey Chris,
Album was really cool. I've been doing similar things with both headphone and speaker modes b4 but still debating if I'll release both versions.

Still waiting on RSS-8024 arrival so haven't tried the AES to DAW yet. Anyone else out there tried?
Old 12th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thats crazy especially the price it went for on evil bay
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Maniac

For those of you who care the RSS-8048 does work well direct via AES. It's hard to determine if the 3D effect is worse or not. Fidelity certainly better via AES which is not surprising. Technically if the ADA-8024 units only convert the signal the 3D effect should identical via AES. I'll carry out some more concise tests with midi control to see & let you know.
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Maniac

OK so after extensive testing & analysis there is no difference in 3d effect using the ADA-8024 vs direct AES. Waveform & sound identical. ADA is clearly a an AD/DA convertor only.

I even did midi recording to accurately measure changes (sux protools doesn't show polyphonic aftertouch data in key roll though).

So for those of u who have the unit & to save the xtra 4U space & conversion I'd recommend going direct AES.

Must say, I found the transaural mode a bit arcaic (need to re-record binaural recording & adjust effective cross talk) This was implemented as a separate intergrated function on later RSS-10.

The RSS-8048 is a great unit though, especially with the SCC controlller.

Incidentally how many of these did Roland make anyway? Couldn't have been many at $40k a piece.

Last edited by kikumotoallstars; 9th February 2015 at 04:16 PM..
Old 7th April 2015
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, I have this excellent module and have owned it for 25 years but over time I have mislaid the 7 pin din lead which connects the controller to the main box, could someone please direct me to or get a test meter and reply with the pin outs for this, I haven't used it in years because of this, I would really appreciate any help with this. I am also wondering about a current price for this as I purchased it at its full new price of £27,000 back in 1992, please help, I could have bought a house for this back in the day. Thanks and I await your reply with great excitement. Chris.
Old 14th August 2018
Here for the gear

MIDI recording of the RSS 8048 /8024 movements

Hello guys! Any of you out there using the machine nowadays? Can I record the movements direct to PTools via MIDI for playback during my mix?
Thank you!
German
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Maniac

You can record movements but difficult to edit as it records as polyphonic after touch. The data can be viewed a numerical data in event list but you won't be able to edit in tracking window, which is kind of a shame. Other daws may have this option but protools sucks for midi. K
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you Sir! I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Do you own a unit like this?
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Yes I have one and an RSS-10 also. Lovely units.
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumotoallstars View Post
Yes I have one and an RSS-10 also. Lovely units.
I used to have and RSS-10(loved it) long time ago but never the 8048/24. Is there any manual explaining how to achieve certain Fxs? Do you use any particular way(gear) to automate your movements in a mix for SSC-8004?
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaseland View Post
I used to have and RSS-10(loved it) long time ago but never the 8048/24. Is there any manual explaining how to achieve certain Fxs? Do you use any particular way(gear) to automate your movements in a mix for SSC-8004?
You can download the manuals online.

I record movements manually with SSC-8004 and enable midi record.

Not sure I understand your last question? Whatever sounds good I guess. I do electronic music so you can get pretty creative with it, i.e. 360 degree pans, ultra wide strings etc.
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
You can download the manuals online.

I record movements manually with SSC-8004 and enable midi record.

Not sure I understand your last question? Whatever sounds good I guess. I do electronic music so you can get pretty creative with it, i.e. 360 degree pans, ultra wide strings etc.
Well the question comes to mind because I have not seen in the manuals that I have been looking up in internet, a detail explanation how to work the SSC in order to achieve movement, pannings, up, down, behind, etc.
Thank you !
German
Old 21st August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
This is great Sir! Appreciate your help deeply.Do you know of any machine for sell (either RSS-8048 or RSS-10)?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search