The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES/EBU vs. spdif
Old 21st December 2003
AES/EBU vs. spdif

Hi all,
What's the differnce between the two? is there an actual sonic difference?
I have a prism ADA-8 and i use my motu2408 as my sound card , it has only spdif and adat lightpipes for digi bits.
I wanted to know if I loose quality by recording digitally to the computer via the spdif input, will it sound better if i go in AES/EBU or am i being silly?
Cheers
mac
Old 21st December 2003
Re: AES/EBU vs. spdif

Quote:
Originally posted by mac black
Hi all,
will it sound better if i go in AES/EBU or am i being silly?
Cheers
mac
I wouldn't say silly.

Spdif is fine as long as you use the right cables designed for Spdif use.
Old 21st December 2003
Gear Addict

AES has an advantage over longer distance of course with a right cable. SPDIF and AES/EBU sounds the same
Old 21st December 2003
Lives for gear

Just in case that it´s worth mentioning: I have been told by an engineer from Lavry that lightpipe was considered inferior. ( Guess only in a very subtle measure though ...)

Ruphus
Old 21st December 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruphus
Just in case that it´s worth mentioning: I have been told by an engineer from Lavry that lightpipe was considered inferior. ( Guess only in a very subtle measure though ...)

Ruphus
I have also heard this. Lightpipe is supposedly more jitter-prone in certain setups.

-- David
Old 21st December 2003
Motown legend

Light-pipe used to be a problem because of a flat out bad Toshiba part combined with a flat out bad Crystal Semiconductor part. In contemporary gear, there are actually audiophiles who prefer it!

Like many other areas of audio, the format doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality of the execution of it but the sales-weasels persist in misinformation.
Old 21st December 2003
Thanks guys,

I can stay with my spdif then, its 2u away from the prism

mac
Old 22nd December 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dsstudio
AES has an advantage over longer distance of course with a right cable. SPDIF and AES/EBU sounds the same
I have always wondered why this is, as they are both unbalanced. Is it because of greater signal strength in AES?
Old 22nd December 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
Light-pipe used to be a problem because of a flat out bad Toshiba part combined with a flat out bad Crystal Semiconductor part. In contemporary gear, there are actually audiophiles who prefer it!
If this is true - (and I don't doubt that it is) - then you are right Bob. Sales weasels - and even a manufacturer that I know of - use this misinformation as a smokescreen for gear that does not function as it should.

This is (I think) one the top audio myths current being perpetrated.

I have always preferred litepipe because then I know that grounding issues, dirt etc would not introduce jitter, garbage etc into the digital audio stream.

anyone else care to chime in on this?
Old 14th April 2013
AES / EBU XLR 3 is balanced 110 ohms "The professional digital audio interface known as AES/EBU is initialism for Audio Engineering Society/European Broadcasting Union, the two organizations that created the first two-channel digital audio serial interface standard in 1985. Issued as AES3-1985, it was subsequently revised & reissued, with the latest version (as of 2001) being AES3-1992 (r1997) AES Recommended Practice for Digital Audio Engineering _"

S/PDIF is unbalanced 75 ohms, considered consumer use.

Light-pipe connector/connections has to be cleaned free from dirt... or loss/pops/trash can occur.
Old 14th April 2013
PDC
Lives for gear

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips digital interface format, also seen w/o slash as SPDIF) A consumer version of the AES3 (old AES/EBU) digital audio interconnection standard based on coaxial cable and RCA connectors.

Link describing everything:
Interfacing AES3 & S/PDIF

Interfacing AES and SPDIF:
http://rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Interf...S3_&_SPDIF.pdf
Old 12th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black View Post
Hi all, ... I wanted to know if I loose quality by recording digitally to the computer via the spdif input, will it sound better if i go in AES/EBU or am i being silly?
Cheers
mac
Hi i have the same problem here to connect a dac with a source with both spdif rca or AES/EBU xlr (both option available).
First the fact that one is a consumer standard and the other a pro one must mean something
Then i read that the higher Voltage through the balanced cable could give a better S/N ratio.
Then there could be an impedance problem.
The spdif should be 75 ohm but the RCA connector is not 75 ohm.
Instead i think the xlr is really 110 ohm.
On this basis i would go with AES/EBU and a very good cable.
Anyway i am going to try both soon and listen for any differences.
Thanks and regards, gino

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search