The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 rev f - difference between "LN" an L-N" writing on front plate?
Old 27th December 2014
Gear Maniac

1176 rev f - difference between "LN" an L-N" writing on front plate?

Hi, I just got a pair of Urei 1176s, one serial number is 45xx, the other in the 5000 range, so both are revision f. I just wonder why the writing is different, seems they did they change the front plate design within the revision? I never noticed this before...

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 27th December 2014
Ive seen stuff like this before with other manufactures. My guess is they outsourced the chassis to another manufacture and do them in runs of a few thousand and somehow the silk screen got changed slightly on the latter batch.
Old 27th December 2014
Gear Addict

Both F & H we have here say LN, no dash.
Old 28th December 2014
Gear Addict

Bootleg
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

I got a matched pair rev f with a misprinted "universal audio" its italic-ish

Old 28th December 2014
What do the guts look like?
Old 28th December 2014
Gear Head

LN stands for the Low Noise factory update. Interesting. Never had one of those. I had that mod added to a pair of consecutive serial number Blue Stripes. They're LN but don't say anything. lol!
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Maniac

They look very similar inside, I just realized that the "L-N" one has a "F" after the serial number, does anybody knows what this means? The inventory sticker says 1976 or 1978, if this helps...

Old 29th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I know those revision history sites, but there is no information about the "F" after the serial number.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono-Peter View Post
I know those revision history sites, but there is no information about the "F" after the serial number.
I thought that meant that it was a Revision F 1176
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
I thought that meant that it was a Revision F 1176
I have never seen the revision letter being on the serial number plate on any 1176 I have used, that's plus the different typing on the front plate made me curious.
As far as I know, the revision letters came up later to bring some structure in the different versions and are not something Urei did communicate on the units itself.
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Addict

Interior and rear panel look authenticlike, for sure!

xxx - Even the front panel screws look quite correct for UREI. -xxx [upon further eyeballing, they're different, as elambo pointed out]

I have a bunch of 1176's and the F's have the letter appended to the S/N.

Silver 1176's here have 'H' appended to the serial number.

Posting the interior shots of both would be good; compare the wiring looms and component choices.

The -dash is still a mystery. Maybe got replaced with a never-before seen off brand panel?

Last edited by Avast!; 30th December 2014 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: elambo's gotta point
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast! View Post
Even the front panel screws look quite correct for UREI.
But they're different between the two units. Did they use both types of screws for Rev Fs?
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast! View Post
Interior and rear panel look authenticlike, for sure!

Even the front panel screws look quite correct for UREI.

I have a bunch of 1176's and the F's have the letter appended to the S/N.

Silver 1176's here have 'H' appended to the serial number.
thanks, that's a valuable information. I did see some 1176 but not too many, so if yours also have the revision letter next to the serial number, maybe Urei did this for some time. I know this lettering after serial number from companies putting the letter "E" for export versions with different transformers or for example Neumann, who made a U473M version of the compressors for mastering purpose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search