The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone Quandary Condenser Microphones
Old 26th December 2014
Here for the gear

Microphone Quandary

For the same price I can buy either

1. Bock 251 (used from a friend)

or

2. Stereo pair of Telefunken AR51 (new)

Don't care about other brands or options. Just these two. So what say you?
Old 27th December 2014
Gear Guru

I ask what do you record in stereo, and what pairs you already have?

I have no doubt that both mics are brilliant, but it may just come down to practicality.
Old 27th December 2014
Lives for gear

Two mics are of great use, if you are doing stereo work. If I only needed one mic I would grab the Bock, he is such a genius mic builder.....
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

My personal choice would be the Bock 251

I think it is more special sounding than the 51's- which you can always pick up later.

Just me.
Old 29th December 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

If I wasn't requiring stereo mics, specifically, the Bock would be my choice. His mics are really something
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

The only correct GearSlutz answer is, of course, *get both*!

However in the absence of a stretchable budget, the only way to advise you is to say that the answer will be dictated by two things: 1) the extent to which your need for stereo recording (and especially with matched pairs) is adequately covered by whatever mics you already have in your kit (if any), and 2) the ways the AR51 and 251 respond to the particular voices/sources you'll be recording. Neither of which you've shared with us.

If a matched pair is something that you have a need for that you don't already have covered, then a pair of AR51s is a no-brainer. Otherwise you need to make a subjective choice based on the sound of the mics in your applications. In which case my money would be on the 251, but I'd be prepared to be surprised.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search