The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
transparent line level gain adjustment to calibrate mix bus Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th December 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

transparent line level gain adjustment to calibrate mix bus

Hi All,

My analog console tends to have a miscalibration between left and right mix bus between 1-3dB. Still something I am looking into solving, together with the company that designed and manufactured the console, but I am looking for an intermediate solution.

I need a transparent (or just great sounding) two channel line level device to adjust the levels a couple of dB, so my stereo mix bus compessors recieves a nicely calibrated stereo signal.

Anybody aware of such a device?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 25th December 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jupiter8's Avatar
 

LittleLabs RedCloud ?
Old 25th December 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Hi
Anyone who makes a 'mix console' that can't manage to get the stereo mix bus to be 'within a couple of dB' is NOT serious. You are trying to find a solution for a company producing 'junk' or who cannot find a half decent engineer to sort it out.
Matt S
Old 25th December 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Anyone who makes a 'mix console' that can't manage to get the stereo mix bus to be 'within a couple of dB' is NOT serious. You are trying to find a solution for a company producing 'junk' or who cannot find a half decent engineer to sort it out.
Matt S
In general, I would agree, but it is a problem that sometimes occurs and sometimes doesn't. I have yet to have a service technician in here and for various reasons, that might still take some time. In the mean time, I am looking for a practical workaround.

BTW, the console is a D&R Orion and the problem for sure is not the company or the designer.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 25th December 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 

If you have separate left/right 2 buss faders then feed it test tone, measure left/right output with a digital multimeter and adjust the bad channel's fader accordingly. Basically instead of adjusting a trim pot on the circuit when setting up/calibrating the board, you are doing the same with the fader.
Old 25th December 2014
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Is there an internal trim pot for left and right
did you check with the Company?
Better that then to add another gain stage
Old 25th December 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

Thanks for all the feedback on how to deal with the console issu, but I am not a novice and I am dealing with the problem in the console.

However, until that is sorted out, I am interested in a device that I could insert just before my compressor to do some gainstaging (the faders are post insert...).

Regards,
Dirk
Old 25th December 2014
  #8
couple of lil`freq`s
Old 25th December 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 

How about just routing to an unused channel on your mixer, boosting there, and taking it's send to the comp? You will still be able to use a multimeter and test tones then to match your left and right calibration level (good channel send level ='s bad channel's routed mixer strip's send level).
Old 25th December 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
How about just routing to an unused channel on your mixer, boosting there, and taking it's send to the comp? You will still be able to use a multimeter and test tones then to match your left and right calibration level (good channel send level ='s bad channel's routed mixer strip's send level).
Yeah, this is one of the things that came to my mind also.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 25th December 2014
  #11
Gear Addict
 

You can't just mix to a bus, or to small faders and send to your mix compressor from there? Perhaps even return via the normal master monitor path.
Old 1st January 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Hi All,

My analog console tends to have a miscalibration between left and right mix bus between 1-3dB. Still something I am looking into solving, together with the company that designed and manufactured the console, but I am looking for an intermediate solution.

I need a transparent (or just great sounding) two channel line level device to adjust the levels a couple of dB, so my stereo mix bus compessors recieves a nicely calibrated stereo signal.

Anybody aware of such a device?

Thanks,
Dirk
you simply need to get your console calibrated by a decent tech. its no rocket science. you need a test generator and a measuring device - plus someone who knows what he is doing. you need absolutely no new gear at all - but move some trim pots... spend your money elswhere - or give up your none-calibrated desk for GAS that has no sense at all and end up in an endless cicle of madness....

check your manual for trim pots...
Old 1st January 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Hi
As Salomonander says; check your manual for trim pots...;
Although I don't know where the trim pots are on a D and R the manual will tell you.
Unless you are having a problem with 'mis tracking' of the main fader (s) then the signal paths will be well within half a dB or better if there are no trim pots (by design). If they are not then there may be some other issue going on, such as mis wiring or routing.
All it takes is a logical approach to checking signal levels at a number of places.

Matt S
Old 1st January 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

Thanks for all the feedback. A service technician will be in shortly to run through the mastersection.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 1st January 2015
  #15
A Designs Atty
Old 1st January 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Fidelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
A Designs Atty
That one is what I use with my SSL. But I must say that I get from 0.1 to 0.3 max difference on the output...
Old 1st January 2015
  #17
Personally, I would have a Tech Re-build it with better amplifiers
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump