The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dual mic pre Like TG2 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

dual mic pre Like TG2

Anyone know of any great pre amp with that broad shoulder type sound like the TG2. Looking for a creamy heavy sound. surely there is something else out there besides TG2. Im not talking neve, I don't want that.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Anyone know of any great pre amp with that broad shoulder type sound like the TG2. Looking for a creamy heavy sound. surely there is something else out there besides TG2. Im not talking neve, I don't want that.
It's not the same as the tg2 of course but I'd say the spectrasonics 101 preamp it's thick and creamy..very focused.. incredible depth..
I'm speaking about the one made with the original cards and triad xformers.. I never heard the new spectrasonic stuff.. might be good.

If you like the tg2, just save rack space and go with them heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
It's not the same as the tg2 of course but I'd say the spectrasonics 101 preamp it's thick and creamy..very focused.. incredible depth..
I'm speaking about the one made with the original cards and triad xformers.. I never heard the new spectrasonic stuff.. might be good.

If you like the tg2, just save rack space and go with them heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Not using chandler anymore. Where do I get a spectra sonics 101
Old 23rd December 2014
Gear Maniac

The Pacifica by a designs is a great sound it has what you mentioned you wanted in a pre and more
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not using chandler anymore.

Don't like the sound ?
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not using chandler anymore. Where do I get a spectra sonics 101
Here's link to the new stuff, but I've never used this stuff: Preamplifiers & Equalizers — Spectra Sonics

So I don't know how these compare with the old stuff..

I'm familiar with the 101 preamp with triad xformers.. you could get the original cards on ebay (I believe orphanaudio have some).. but then you need to add a pwr supply, pots/knobs, and switches for phantom pwr.. (I believe you could use the gobetween kit from jlm.. for the pwr supply you might check jlm as well or other diy places).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 23rd December 2014
Here for the gear
I can help you out with some info/help with vintage Spectra stuff...

There really is nothing like the Spectra sound!

Send me a PM...
Old 23rd December 2014
It's not the TG2, but the Sonic Farm Creamer or Creamer+ is definitely "creamy." I wouldn't say it's "heavy," although your interpretation may be different than mine, but you can easily get thick sounds out of it depending on various settings.
Old 23rd December 2014
Gear Head

Undertone MPEQ-1 mic pre is similar to a tg2 but has a EQ also.
Was going to get one but was told it is similar to my tg2.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswami View Post
The Pacifica by a designs is a great sound it has what you mentioned you wanted in a pre and more

True, the p1 can get this edge that I don't like sometimes I can't describe it, and there really isn't alot of control.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Here's link to the new stuff, but I've never used this stuff: Preamplifiers & Equalizers — Spectra Sonics

So I don't know how these compare with the old stuff..

I'm familiar with the 101 preamp with triad xformers.. you could get the original cards on ebay (I believe orphanaudio have some).. but then you need to add a pwr supply, pots/knobs, and switches for phantom pwr.. (I believe you could use the gobetween kit from jlm.. for the pwr supply you might check jlm as well or other diy places).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
How complicated lol

Thanks tho, no wonder all I saw were chips
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

It kind of sounds like the TG2 is just what you're looking for!
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looking for a creamy heavy sound.
I think Undertone does this well, and also the Langevin AM16.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

The thing about the tg2 I don't like is the dirty low mid range. I like how the highs sit, but sometimes that mid range can just be too dirty
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

JLM do I tg style pre, imo the low mids and lows are a step up from the tg... They are not exactly cheep but if you live out of Australia I think the exchange rate is pretty good these days
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
JLM do I tg style pre, imo the low mids and lows are a step up from the tg... They are not exactly cheep but if you live out of Australia I think the exchange rate is pretty good these days
interesting...
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
How complicated lol

Thanks tho, no wonder all I saw were chips
Yeah..well it's not rocket science but you need to know what you're doing..
imo worth the effort..eventually ask somebody who could do it for you.. heh

Cheu
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
For one there's not a lot of customer review on the tg series by JML

Secondly, I emailed them about a week ago with no response.

They're in Australia, I wouldn't buy something from them if they can't even respond to an inquiry, imagine if I had something wrong with the unit lol
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

I think it's a very small operation, I'm pretty sure it says on there website they are closed over Xmas new year mate

Quote:
For one there's not a lot of customer review on the tg series by JML

Secondly, I emailed them about a week ago with no response.

They're in Australia, I wouldn't buy something from them if they can't even respond to an inquiry, imagine if I had something wrong with the unit lol
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head

Spectra 101/110A's are the same circuit and built with the same test/checkout procedure. In fact, we still build the original 101 for the 610 Complimiter. The only change is the the use of Sowters on some products.
The M502 pre uses the Triad HS-66 type output transformer as before. On 110A setups, we prefer the Sowter when it comes to +24dBu signal levels. The HS-66 cannot deal with levels beyond +19dBu below 50Hz.

Bill Cheney
Spectra Sonics
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sebatron vmp-2000e or a Sebatron AXIS preamp .
They are tight , big sounding and very organic .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search