The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 1031, 1032?
Old 22nd December 2014

Genelec 1031, 1032?

How do they compare? Low end? Volume?
Old 23rd December 2014

Just borrowed a pair of 1031s. I gotta tell you I hear a lot of smack on here about them but I like them. They seem way more realistic sounding then what I am used to.
Old 23rd December 2014
Here for the gear

I've owned a pair of 1031's for 10 yrs. They are wonderful!
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Have the 1031s with Sub , have listened extensively to the 1032,s
I prefer the 1031s personally, the bigger ones sounded a bit
Scooped to my ears but this was a long time ago.

I love the 1031,s as the previous gearslutz said don.t buy into
The dissing.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

i use 1031's EVERY day. i have not tried the 1032's.
love the 1031, while some of the guys at my facility think its not well suited to rock i strongly disagree.
Old 23rd December 2014

Yeah I dug using them today.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Andy wallace has been mixing on the 1031's forever.
Old 23rd December 2014
Gear Head

I use both daily. The 1032's put out a lot more before the limiters kick in, so I run the 1031's with a 1092 sub. The low end on the 1032's is much more extended than the 1031's, but like someone said earlier they feel a little scooped. But both have been here at the studio for 14 years now, and the 1032's even survived a flood! Its time to replace the woofers but they are solid workhorses.
Old 23rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
Just borrowed a pair of 1031s. I gotta tell you I hear a lot of smack on here about them but I like them. They seem way more realistic sounding then what I am used to.

Really? I find them very flattering and not really useful. I know that it's all about knowing your monitors but I have the 1032 and Yamaha ns10's And the difference is just way to big switching between them mixing. Ns10 so midforward and 1032's are just scooped beyond hearing the mids.

James didn't you run the Focal twins ns10 combo? I felt that the Twins are way more connected with the ns10's duo to the midforward sound.
Old 23rd December 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Best stuff Genelec ever made. I think PSI seem closest to these old 10 series of you want something new.

We have 1030 lying around and I've had decent translation off em!

-T
Old 23rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrie louden View Post
I've owned a pair of 1031's for 10 yrs. They are wonderful!
The same here

One thing about the Genelecs 1031 are a bit weird. If the mix is not consistent, they sounds like scrap. But if the sound great, the sounds like heaven.

My last mix check are always on the 1031.

R.
Old 23rd December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post

James didn't you run the Focal twins ns10 combo? I felt that the Twins are way more connected with the ns10's duo to the midforward sound.
Yeah I have Twins now, done with them. a/b'ing with the 1031s, there's way more extra curricular activity going on with the Twins. The 1031s sound way simpler and more natural to me. I've had the Focals for 3 years and grown a hatred for them. But again it's all a matter of taste. Not sure that 1031s are the answer but I know what's not. Mixing my first song today on the 1031/NS10 combo. Funny thing is that combo is probably on more hit records then any other combo in history.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Cool… Let us know how the car check goes..
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

James, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my Twins as well. What types of problems are you having? I always seem to struggle with hearing the the bottom octave. My room is well treated, but that remains a problem for me.
Old 23rd December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
James, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my Twins as well. What types of problems are you having? I always seem to struggle with hearing the the bottom octave. My room is well treated, but that remains a problem for me.
Man they just have so many extra sounds that aren't really there. It's almost like clashing mids from the 2 speakers. Almost like a phasy mess. I originally tested them years ago against Adam S3X-Hs and the Adams just sounded better. Especially the mids. But after a few years with the Adams I had a major run in with the company and sold off everything I had Adams. Ended taking a shot with the Twins. They are just funky to me. But with that said I learned them and mix a zillion records on them and placenta of people love them and get great results.

Mixing now on the 1031/NS10 combo. Will report after a trip to the car.
Old 23rd December 2014
Gear Head

Hello,

I tracked and mixed with the 1031A/NS10 combo since 1995, they complement each other very well (they sound the opposite).

Recently I've added the KH 310 (more details and extended bass response) as mains but I always check with NS10 and 1031A.

You will not be disappointed but probably a little more extended bass is required to check everything carefully (hence the KH 310, for me)

Tried the Focal SM9 and did not like them
Old 23rd December 2014

Took the first mix out to the car, sounded really good. I am mixing differently in general, lower volume, NS10s are closer in and no L3 on the mix. I was mixing a lot with the L3 on and taking it on and off but today it's wide open, no L3. Liking the new approach. New for me anyway.

You know I had the KH310s in my room about 4 months ago and I liked them but they didn't have the big bottom I wanted but I'm not sure if with my new mindset they wouldn't be perfect now. Sound Pure lent them to me, unfortunately they just sold them and have none in stock. I am liking these Genies. So relaxed sounding compared to the Twins.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

James, have you tried any of the Questeds? When I eventually move on from my Twins, they will be on my shortlist to try.
Old 23rd December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
James, have you tried any of the Questeds? When I eventually move on from my Twins, they will be on my shortlist to try.
I haven't.
Old 24th December 2014
Quote:
I am liking these Genies. So relaxed sounding
1031's are nice.. maybe can be a little too polite sounding
and a hair shy on the bottom octave and volume. 1030's are also nice for a smaller box. 2cents.. gl
Old 24th December 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

James you gotta try the Amphion One18 - there's a demo pair floating around LA I believe, also PSI a17 work a little better in the same direction as these 10 series Gennies...

I know plenty who have had twins - liked em but eventually moved away due to the weirdness - oddly I think they make you over EQ...

Best of luck! Have a great xmas!

-T
Old 24th December 2014
Here for the gear

Do any of you use any of the eq/room correction dip switches on the Genelecs?
Old 24th December 2014

So after my first day of mixing on 1031s I gotta say I like them. Probably not as detailed as some but I can really hear things very well with them. It's like they are simple sounding and easy for me to listen deep into. The Focals had (the best way I can describe it) darting sounds coming at me. A lot of stuff that wasn't really there. I'd hear all this midrange color and motion and when I'd take it out to my car it sounded totally different. My 2 car trips today sounded virtually the same as the studio, that's a first. Now after time with the Focals I learned to compensate for the issues I had hearing things and grew accustom to them but never felt natural. Today's mixing was a more natural flow for me and even though it was the first day on them, after a few hours when I would toggle between the ref and my mix I felt more confident with my mix and what I was hearing then ever before. This could definitely work for me. Are 1031s the best? Probably not but it feels good and enjoyable and my first mix came out great.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodigiovanni View Post
nope
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So after my first day of mixing on 1031s I gotta say I like them. Probably not as detailed as some but I can really things very well with them. It's like they are simple sounding and easy for me to listen deep into. The Focals had (the best way I can describe it) darting sounds coming at me. A lot of stuff that wasn't really there. I'd hear all this midrange color and motion and when I'd take it out to my car it sounded totally different. My 2 car trips today sounded virtually the same as the studio, that's a first. Now after time with the Focals I learned to compensate for the issues I had hearing things and grew accustom to them but never felt natural. Today's mixing was a more natural flow for me and even though it was the first day on them, after a few hours when I would toggle between the ref and my mix I felt more confident with my mix and what I was hearing then ever before. This could definitely work for me. Are 1031s the best? Probably not but it feels good and enjoyable and my first mix came out great.
One thing I have to say about the 1031's is I can trust them.
Back in the day the studio I frequented had them
but for my home studio I could only afford Event 2020 BAS
then I went on a foray into the Event BAS 2030 three way monitors
for a while and didn't trust them from day one.

With the Gens I know exactly what I,m listening to,
adding the 1092 Sub makes a big difference, though I
am missing a bit in the 90-95 Hz region
but that may be my room.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Focals had (the best way I can describe it) darting sounds coming at me. A lot of stuff that wasn't really there. I'd hear all this midrange color and motion and when I'd take it out to my car it sounded totally different. My 2 car trips today sounded virtually the same as the studio, that's a first.
I've been trying some Focal Twins next to my ProAcs and this is my experience with them as well. I had intended on buying them but once I started mixing on them it was a total guessing game. They literally hurt my ears with female voices. It's really funny a few years ago I was wanting to change from the Adams I had and was totally set on the Focal Twins based on all the hype they were getting on here at the time. Then I started noticing these little speakers that some of my favorite mixers were all using and finally found out what they were and figured I would just give them a try. I was always wondering if I missed something by going with the ProAcs instead of the Twins. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and a studio I was tracking in had just upgraded to Barefoots from the Focals and offered to let me try them out and made me a good deal on them. First impressions just listening to some familiar songs in my itunes library were that they were very mid forward but the lowend was nice compared to the ProAcs. i immediately thought they were a little harsh but my ears were tired from tracking all day so I thought maybe that was the problem. Anyway the following week I set them up in place of my ProAcs and started some mix's with them and found that they were really hard for me figure out in the upper mid's (everything just sounded harsh including known reference mix's) and my ears became fatigued faster than any speaker I've ever used. I'm sure given a LOT of time I could become used to them enough to make decisions on but I don't know why I would want to do that I do still want to find something with better lowend than the ProAcs. I'm pretty sure the Amphions will be what I try next.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodigiovanni View Post
We run a pair of 1030's here and I believe we do have a dip switch or 2 for correction. I'll take a look when I get back from traveling next week.

1031's are great because they are louder but have a similar response as the 1030's. Kinda nice & tight and natural sounding. The 32's are too boomy for my liking. A little too ported sounding- like it just starts to get messy in the bottom end. A lot of hip hop guys like the 32's for that reason.

I like the idea of the 31's with a sub- that sounds like an excellent combo to me.

Also have to say that the mix engineer in our room mixing right now brought in his own Dynaudio 15's and they sound great. If you like a warmer, bigger bottom (they're ported- unlike the barefoot 35's we have), then those are worth considering. I personally prefer the 35's as it makes me push my low end & subs more but it still sounds clean & tight. But I'm digging being able to switch to the 15's too.

Also our room is acoustically designed & sounds great which helps obviously.

The Genelec 1030A & 1031A are loved by many a mixer over the years. We just bought 2 pairs of woofers & tweeters as back up as they are going to stop supporting them pretty soon. You might want to grab some for the 1031's too; not sure but I think they are stopping support on those too. I've had my 1030's since probably 1995 at least.

Good luck-
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone using the 1031's horizontally ... and if so do you notice any difference?
Old 24th December 2014
Here for the gear

The tweeter waveguide is actually rotatable for horizontal orientation.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

How things have changed, years ago when I said I didn't like the Twins I ws almost stoned for being a heretic. Focal sent me a pair to test and I thought they sounded like hifi loudspeakers, not reference. they wanted their loudspeakers to sound good, not honest and I didn't feel comfortable working on them despite the fact that I really wanted to like them.

I'm still using my two pairs of 1031A monitors...one pair with sub the other pair without.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search