The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I buy this RE-201 Space Echo - MUST DECIDE TONIGHT!
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Head

Should I buy this RE-201 Space Echo - MUST DECIDE TONIGHT!

I have the opportunity to buy an RE-201 for $650 USD and I must decide tonight.

Is it still worth it to buy one of these awesome, maintenance-necessary clunkers or would the money be better spent towards UAD plugins or maybe the RE-20 digital pedal? Another hardware pedal?

Thanks.
Old 21st December 2014
To me, $650 is too much for a space echo and I say that as someone wh really wants one.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Head

hmmm....that's about the standard asking price on Ebay. what would be a more reasonable price in your opinion?
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Nut

I would not go for it. I luckily found one for $250 bucks last year, that was fully functionable except for the reverb. I had it repaired and it just broke again last week. You may get lucky and never have to do any repairs, but its an old unit so expect to get it repaired at some point
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

If it,s in good condition then that sounds about right
$500 and up is about the going price

^
Yeah you lucked out, that's a super low price for a 201
And not many people will find one at that price.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Head

Thanks rberotti. I do expect to have to repair it, and there is a shop that repairs these close to me so I'm not too concerned about that aspect. What I'm most interested in is getting more analog warmth into my recordings and my main question (which I should have stated more clearly) is "is it worth the tone/warmth to get this unit or is my money better spent elsewhere for adding the 'space echo effect'?"
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom View Post
Thanks rberotti. I do expect to have to repair it, and there is a shop that repairs these close to me so I'm not too concerned about that aspect. What I'm most interested in is getting more analog warmth into my recordings and my main question (which I should have stated more clearly) is "is it worth the tone/warmth to get this unit or is my money better spent elsewhere for adding the 'space echo effect'?"
Out of all the analog units that I own, the Space Echo by far possesses the most analog "warmth". It's got an insane sound to it, and that tape echo is beyond amazing. However, you can definitely achieve that warmth in other ways. Last week one of my band members recorded a vocal track for my band's new song, when I listened to the song I was like "Woah dude that space echo is sounding better than ever." Funny thing is though, he wasn't even using the space echo, he was using logic's stock echo plugin (my second favorite echo behind the space echo) which was side chained to the main vocal track. If you have logic try it out, its great.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Also I don't recommend sinking your money into the re-20 pedal, it does sound warm, but its nothing compared to the real unit. All you need is a decent analog sounding delay (plugin/guitar pedal) with a good spring reverb. Sure you probably won't be able to emulate the space echo's crazy effects, but you'll be surprised how close you can get to that sound without spending over 600 dollars.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

I have yet to find a delay that sounds the same as a tape loop.
I have tried many delay units and can get really close dialing them in, but me and several others can always pick out the space echo.

Denny
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

I think $650 is a little high. Unless it is in brand new condition.

There are several people out there selling new tape loops.

Denny
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

I'd get it for sure.
That's a good price, as long as it is in good working order.
Anyone who isn't blown away by a Space Echo should get their hearing tested.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Gearslutz ball of fortune says "yes, definitely"
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Head

ok - thanks for your input everyone. i'm going to pick it up in the morning.
*excited* : )
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Nut

So you don't even know if there are needed repairs? I would ask a lot of questions before buying. The maintenance on it is well worth it but not for $650. If no problems then yes snag it. I have both RE201 and UAD plugin. UA did a very good job with the plugin but the breakup doesn't have that analog warmth when the intensity is increased. Spend your money on a Space Echo that needs little to no maintenance off the bat.
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Gearslutz ball of fortune says "yes, definitely"
Sounds like the Australian Version of "Goon Bag Wheel of Fortune on the Hills Hoist" I'm sure thebrightside will know what I'm talking about! At the $650 price I would certainly grab that RE-201, not only are these units in particular getting more scarce, there is also more and more busted and unloved units being thrown in the skip due to high repair costs. They are not overtly technical devices, though certainly can be damn fiddely in the guts at the best of times.

If this RE-201 is in Decent condition, and you have a specific use in mind for it, grab it, you will always be able to offload it again for $600-650 at the least, so it seems a no lose scenario, and let's keep this in perspective, like a Dimension D these units have a certain sound that's hard to recreate and UAD etc is certainly no competition for the sheer outboard mangling you can achieve with a decent RE201. Seriously, in todays parlance $650 or an RE-201 is not overtly high.

Get it Man....It's a unit you'll love and learn to mess with in the best ways possible!

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the opportunity to buy an RE-201 for $650 USD and I must decide tonight.

Is it still worth it to buy one of these awesome, maintenance-necessary clunkers or would the money be better spent towards UAD plugins or maybe the RE-20 digital pedal? Another hardware pedal?

Thanks.
Thats quite expensive
Old 22nd December 2014
Quote:
hmmm....that's about the standard asking price on Ebay. what would be a more reasonable price in your opinion?
Oh, pay no mind to me, I'm always just thinking back to all the ones for $300 that people had for sale in the 90s that I passed up. It keeps me awake at night.
Old 22nd December 2014
you are better off with soundtoys echoboy
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear
No. Get the real thing.
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

If it's in good condition I'd say that was a good price. There's one on ebay.co.uk at the moment for £599 and another for £699.
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

I got mine from analogia.pl
it sounds and looks like if it came out from the factory.. brand new!! Not cheap.. but it's the best 201 I've ever heard.. imho worth every penny.. no problem, super solid performer, fantastic sound!

Highly reccomended..

Just my 0,02$,

Cheu
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

and........., let me guess, you bailed put from buying it?
Do let us know huh?

TLB
Old 3rd January 2015
Gear Addict

You know what I find surprising.?.

If I go back to say 1985, when the the Effectron II was out as well as the Korg SDD 3000 was out as well as the Roland equivalent, the SDE 2000. The tape echo had outlived its usefullness and was was considered garbage, noisy, had an undesirable foot print.

Now, 30 years or so later the same unit that was considered junk which you could buy for $150 used is considered desirable.

How the world changes. It's crazy how the world works.

From tape to a hard drive.
For wet and silky to dry and crushed

If you had said to me 30 years ago that in 30 years artists wont even need to be able to sing on pitch, that you'll correct it note by note, everyone would have been saying; "You're crazy".

But here we are.

Having a grand pappy moment.
Old 5th January 2015
Gear Head

I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy this RE-201 Space Echo - MUST DECIDE TONIGHT!-img_2071.jpg  
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Love them
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought it.
Looks pretty nice, how are you liking it?
Old 6th January 2015
Mmmmmm. Jealousy.

I love my echoplex, but that roland.......
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Head

Excellent move - congrats!
Old 7th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Enjoy! Personally, I thought $650 was little high, unless serviced.
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Head

After some use...

...I love this machine!

Besides the fun and chaotic effects/sounds this box produces (with an unpredictability only found in actual mechanical gear) I'm finding it is also just a great "analog box" to run everything through on the way into the DAW.

I set it to "Reverb Only" and turn the reverb dial all the way off and then just benefit from the sound of the tape. I didn't realize it could be used that way! No more need for recording to tape - I just run everything 'through' tape on the way into the digital realm.

Is anyone else doing this and getting good results?

I will post some tracks once I have something put together.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search