The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH310a Listening Distance/Distance from wall?...
Old 18th December 2014
Gear Nut

Neumann KH310a Listening Distance/Distance from wall?...

Hey everyone,

Time to upgrade my monitors. I've been using Dynaudio BM5a's for about a decade now. They've done me well, but I've outgrown them. I've been looking for a great all-around monitor that excels at tracking, mixing, and mastering for under $5000 (pair). They also have to lay horizontally because my desk setup is a bit high.

I've been looking seriously at the Focal Solo6 Be's and the Neumann KH310a. I'm more interested in the Neumanns based on the reviews I've been reading.

However, I've read that Neumann insists you listen from at least 2.6' back with the monitors 6' away from the front wall... I just make it at 2.6' back (except when I lean in to use my outboard gear), but my monitors are only a .5' from my front wall. The wall IS covered by Real Traps Mondo and Mini Traps though...

Q: Do you think this very close distance is an issue even if the front wall is treated? It's been fine with the Dynaudios, but these 3-way Neumanns are a different beast. Curious to know what you guys think?

My room is only approx. 12x14' so I can't pull my desk back anymore without ending up in the middle of the room.

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear
Hello,

The neumann site is a gold mine

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/neumann_monitor_location_template_stereo_version_v01.pdf/$File/neumann_monitor_location_template_stereo_version_v01.pdf

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/neumann_setting_up_studio_monitors_551671_201302.pdf/$File/neumann_setting_up_studio_monitors_551671_201302.pdf
Old 19th December 2014
Then there's this information from an old thread (2009), again courtesy of the K+H engineers:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4839695-post23.html

The bass end of my 0300s improved dramatically when I followed these guidelines, and they would probably work for the KH310, but it does seem the engineers at Neumann/K+H are responsive to queries.
Old 19th December 2014
Gear Nut

Hey, thanks guys!

And my other question would be, what do you think of 3-way monitors in a smallish control room (12x14x8). My room is treated nicely with Real Traps and GIK. I normally sit about 2.5 feet back from the speakers. Anyone in a smaller control room have experience with 3 ways for tracking/mixing/mastering? Will I have better results with a 2 way?
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMyGalaxie View Post
Hey, thanks guys!

And my other question would be, what do you think of 3-way monitors in a smallish control room (12x14x8). My room is treated nicely with Real Traps and GIK. I normally sit about 2.5 feet back from the speakers. Anyone in a smaller control room have experience with 3 ways for tracking/mixing/mastering? Will I have better results with a 2 way?
this depends on which 3 way, the layout of the drivers. speakers such as the neumann and atc 25 and so forth are ok up close, but it's always better to be further away. this also goes for two ways.
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

I have been using them in a tiny room with great results. I was not aware of the distance from the wall recommendations but have not noticed any issues, they are currently within 2 ft of the rear wall. I will try moving them closer to see if any difference.
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk View Post
I have been using them in a tiny room with great results. I was not aware of the distance from the wall recommendations but have not noticed any issues, they are currently within 2 ft of the rear wall. I will try moving them closer to see if any difference.
Great, thanks! Anyone else have any experience with these or other 3-ways in a small control room?

Also, if anyone has any reasons why I should stick with a 2-way in my size room for tracking, mixing, and mastering, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great, thanks! Anyone else have any experience with these or other 3-ways in a small control room?

Also, if anyone has any reasons why I should stick with a 2-way in my size room for tracking, mixing, and mastering, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
I also have the kh120 two way but once I got the kh310, I hardly use them. No matter the size of the room the three way will be more detailed. The kh120 now act mostly as playback speakers in the tracking room.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hello,

The room size is not an issue if your listening position is at the good distance defined by Neumann.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Time to upgrade my monitors. I've been using Dynaudio BM5a's for about a decade now. They've done me well, but I've outgrown them. I've been looking for a great all-around monitor that excels at tracking, mixing, and mastering for under $5000 (pair). They also have to lay horizontally because my desk setup is a bit high.

I've been looking seriously at the Focal Solo6 Be's and the Neumann KH310a. I'm more interested in the Neumanns based on the reviews I've been reading.

However, I've read that Neumann insists you listen from at least 2.6' back with the monitors 6' away from the front wall... I just make it at 2.6' back (except when I lean in to use my outboard gear), but my monitors are only a .5' from my front wall. The wall IS covered by Real Traps Mondo and Mini Traps though...

Q: Do you think this very close distance is an issue even if the front wall is treated? It's been fine with the Dynaudios, but these 3-way Neumanns are a different beast. Curious to know what you guys think?

My room is only approx. 12x14' so I can't pull my desk back anymore without ending up in the middle of the room.

Thanks in advance!
My Room is virtually identical to yours in size and treatment.

I personally have tried my monitors at 1.2 meters away from me mounted on the desk rack pods and I thought they sounded terrible - like wearing very powerful headphones - way to intense for me and a nightmare for mastering.

So I ponied up and bought some Towersonic monitor stands (height adjustable) and placed the 0300's at 1.6 meters back 1.6 meters apart and now the sound stage breaths and has dimension, plus the sound it relaxed and super detailed. My ear is exactly half way between the tweeter and mid range driver - the advantage of having height adjustable monitor stands.

I personally cannot imagine using 0300's closer than 1.6m

My 0300's are set flat and 1 meter away from the back wall and side walls.

I'm calibrated to K14 by the way.

Hope my experience helps a bit - good luck - 0300's (0310's) are my favourite monitor in that price range.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
My Room is virtually identical to yours in size and treatment.

I personally have tried my monitors at 1.2 meters away from me mounted on the desk rack pods and I thought they sounded terrible - like wearing very powerful headphones - way to intense for me and a nightmare for mastering.

So I ponied up and bought some Towersonic monitor stands (height adjustable) and placed the 0300's at 1.6 meters back 1.6 meters apart and now the sound stage breaths and has dimension, plus the sound it relaxed and super detailed. My ear is exactly half way between the tweeter and mid range driver - the advantage of having height adjustable monitor stands.

I personally cannot imagine using 0300's closer than 1.6m

My 0300's are set flat and 1 meter away from the back wall and side walls.

I'm calibrated to K14 by the way.

Hope my experience helps a bit - good luck - 0300's (0310's) are my favourite monitor in that price range.
Damn... I can't get close to that kind of distance unfortunately. 3 feet from the monitors tops. Any further and I'd be on top of whoever is recording from the control room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search