The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Parallel drum compressor in the Neve realm. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th December 2014

Parallel drum compressor in the Neve realm.

Looking to make some changes on my drum set up, looking for the killer drum compressor for modern rock. Has anyone used the different offerings and knows how they compare? Neve 2254, 2264, 33609, BAE 10DC. Vintage or Re-issue?
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Addict

Just bought a pair of AML 54F50s (2254s) from Colin and used them in parallel on drums. Sounds amazing. You can slam them and they still sound musical. Mix it under the original signal and it gets nice and beefy (fully knowing that each of us has a different understanding of 'beefy', 'full', 'warm' etc). Cheaper than an original pair and without the hassle of a 40 year old unit. Trev at Circle has them too, his comments on the units convinced me to take the plunge and I'm happy I did.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Guru

James I tried the 10DC's and they weren't the thick neve thing I was hoping for.passed on buying a pair.
I'm still interested in hearing the Heritage 2264's though.
they're reasonably affordable,but ultimately it comes down to the sound.
other than that a pair of original 32264s or a metal knob 33609 is the way to go.
but,they are expen$ive .
lately stereo drum parallel I bounce btw a 2500 or Zener and a little overstayer saturator.
still not the neve vibe though.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Studio I work at frequently has 6 2254's in the desk. At some point or another I've used them on drums, and they can sound great on the inserts but as a parallel send I prefer many other comps ahead of them for this. Even the 33609 works better in this application than 2254s.

They are thick as hell though.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Much like round badge, we tried a pair of 10dc and passed on them. Got a pair of chandler Ltd. and they were fantastic and thick like our 2254s except a bit more flexible with the attack.

A 33609 is a good option and if you're trying to find a new neve sound you may wanna take the chandler germaniums for a test drive. They are crunchier and not as thick as the Ltd. I tend to use a 2500 on drum buss in soft knee w/high pass for nice bottom end (some say the 2500 isn't warm but ours is downright fat) and throw either a 2254 or the Ltd's in front or parallel if it needs more punch.

But a pair of Ltd's you should test.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Chandler ltd-2 for me.

Capable of a few different things due to the adjustable attack times. Like opening up the front end of a sources or adding a nice tail to cymbals, pumping rooms, or a super fast attack for retro flavour.

And the makeup gain is a seriously cool thing too. Tone machine and a really life saver on dull, boring sources.

Can't say its the hard rock/pop drum parallel of choice... I sometimes blend in the ssl buss comp for that...
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Lately, I have been digging the Neve 5043. It's attack is a little slow, which seems to work well for drums.

ITB I really like the Slate Virtual Buss Compressor - FG-Grey
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Roundbadge is right about the metal knobbed 33609 on drums parallel.. i should know. I sold his buddy mine.. one of the few sells i'm pained to remember.

when i had it, i went between it and a chandler TG1 in limit... which is really amazing as a drum parallel comp... not the neve thing but sort of blows that out of the water as far as sheer THWACK goes... but you mentioned a more modern sound and the TG1 in limit is quite noisy, as one would anticipate. (but hey, with that much noise, you won't have to ditherheh)

for more modern, cleaner stuff, i now use a trusty old Al Smart c1 or a thermionic culture phoenix if i want openness and sparkle.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Nut

Vintage Design has a neve style comp ... I know they have mono unit with a mix knob built in. They have an older unit that is stereo with the comp + limit like a 33609 ... no mix/blend knob though
Old 16th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Juliano View Post
Vintage Design has a neve style comp ... I know they have mono unit with a mix knob built in. They have an older unit that is stereo with the comp + limit like a 33609 ... no mix/blend knob though
good you mentioned that company peter , great products!
they have also a new neve like stereo unit with mix/blend:
VDC | Vintagedesign
and nice separat blender units (500 and 19") if you already have a comp but want mix/blend : Home
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Addict

ALSO Dynex 2
not nevey but very modern
explosive
sorry if im off topic
Old 16th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
ALSO Dynex 2
not nevey but very modern
explosive
sorry if im off topic
yeah i love the al.so dynax 2! very transparent/clean sounding.. nothing like neve .. but very very punchy/smacky, yes sir!
Old 16th December 2014
Metal knob 33609 is great. I'm also a big fan of AML's 2254s. (Known as the 54f50)
Old 16th December 2014
The best Neve box would be a metal knob 33609, no question. I have a pair of BAE 10DCs, which I really dig. But the single best parallel drum compressor in my opinion is the Chandler TG1, which is a diode-type compressor, so sorta similar to the Neve in that respect.

Very squishy, great distortion characteristic. Love it.
Old 16th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
The best Neve box would be a metal knob 33609, no question. I have a pair of BAE 10DCs, which I really dig. But the single best parallel drum compressor in my opinion is the Chandler TG1, which is a diode-type compressor, so sorta similar to the Neve in that respect.

Very squishy, great distortion characteristic. Love it.
I just spoke to Wade and he told me the TG1 is his choice.
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
It's really great. Throw on an Alan Moulder mix and you can hear what it's all about
Old 16th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
james, why dont you just try a second chandler little devil compressor to the one you already have?
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRS View Post
james, why dont you just try a second chandler little devil compressor to the one you already have?
I never liked the devil on drums.
Couldn't get the pump,squash and thwack like the Zener / tg1 in limit mode.
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Completely different sounding compression.
Old 16th December 2014
I would have said Zener/TG1 if you hadn't said neve. That's where my Zener usually lives.
Old 16th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Completely different sounding compression.
this thread is about neve comp!
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
this thread is about neve comp!
I had a pair.
They may have been inspired by when Wade designed them but they dont remotely do what a 2254 or 2264 do.
Old 17th December 2014
QRS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I had a pair.
They may have been inspired by when Wade designed them but they dont remotely do what a 2254 or 2264 do.
chandler LD is closer to 2254/2264 than tg/zener and the original question was about neve comp, no?
Old 17th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
chandler LD is closer to 2254/2264 than tg/zener and the original question was about neve comp, no?
Sorry for the confusion.I never said the tg or Zener were close.as an aside I told James It's just what I'm using for slamming drums.
Based on using them I also thought the devil was not very neve like .
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone try the Heritage Audio 2264E ??????
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

bump

Anyone try the Heritage Audio 2264E ??????
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Still love the AMS/Neve 2254/R's.......Lovely rounded Sounding units, (Though I use Fast limit sparingly) the AML might look more erm...."Retro 2254 ish....!" I love AMS/Neve 2254/R's for multiple uses, drums just being 1 thing, like Tube tech and Manley are some units just have a certain "sound" I guess it's up to you to decide which sound in right, just as I love the Tube Tech ME-1B on vocals especially as well as Bass - before Pulse Techniques started up again. Some Gear just really sounds like that old warm Console & 2" 24 track type vibe and gives energy for days while still imparting the spice and magical vibe!
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Neve 2264x, 32264a, 33609 iss12/a

I wouldnt use anything else for crushing drums
Old 19th December 2014
The AMS 33609jd has a very good flavor for this sort of thing, I tend to stick the output of that into an old Vortexion CBL tape machines all tube line amps and drive that into slight crunch, gives a superb "spitty splat" to the impacts and a real shimmer to the cymbals.:-)
http://youtu.be/tIS4RfJwxM8
The line amps in these old beasts are EF86 pentode tube into an ECC86 dual triode with tube rectifier and sound utterly terrific clean and maybe even slightly better driven right on the edge of too much distortion.:-)
The 30/50 Ohm ribbon mic amps in there are very, very good too.
Old 20th December 2014

Ended up messing with the API2500 and getting it more happening for me.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search