The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding an instrument input to a mic preamp?
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Try out a NPNG "Diehlio" Active Direct box.
I second this recommendation. It's very nice on guitar for sure.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Indeed the Radials are a sort of standard for this purpose, but if I'm going to buy one I was curious to know if there was something even better, even if a bit more $$. "Better" being more transparent in this case.
Countryman are supposedly more transparent than radial. I use radial myself. I use JDI for active instruments and I use j48 for passive. It depends. I think anything with a transformer is going to add some color albeit very small. I also have a Creation Audio Labs MW1 and that is ultra transparent. I would recommend that for totally clean non-altering signal, but it's a little pricy and has features you may not need. I haven't ever used a DI that was cleaner and more transparent. Radial I think have a little more punch to them though comparatively. And with bass guitar I really like that aspect of the JDI. JDI sounds amazing with EMG pickups. If you have passive pickups on a bass, you should really use an active DI. Passive DI will be noisier and generally have more distortion. It's all situational though.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Indeed the Radials are a sort of standard for this purpose, but if I'm going to buy one I was curious to know if there was something even better, even if a bit more $$. "Better" being more transparent in this case.
I tested the Radial JDI and DW Fearn's passive DI, and slightly preferred the latter. Seemed to keep the transients a tiny bit better. They are both excellent, however.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

I went with the NPNG Diehlio. I'll chime back with a review.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

I went with the NPNG Diehlio. I'll chime back with a review.
Old 19th December 2014
congrats!
you're gonna love that thing!

It transfers emotion....
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Radial JDI. Have tried others and is still my favorite. By a longshot actually.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
congrats!
you're gonna love that thing!

It transfers emotion....
Indeed. It arrived today and I'm thoroughly impressed. So far I've tried it into a Neve and a Germanium - with bass and a couple of guitars - and in each case it sounded great. Better than great. And using the phantom power of the preamp to power this thing instead of a wall wart is king.

Highly recommended. Great job, Karl, as usual.

I'm dying to put this thing before my Avedis MA5. The only gripe I had about the Neve's tone (I wished for a touch more high end and the lows could have been tighter) are "fixed" by that preamp.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

Fire-Eye Development

This is the best sounding out there. It sounds terrific on bass, guitar, piezos, Rhodes, etc.....
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet: you might not even need a DI. Have you tried a simple 1/4" to XLR cable? Especially if your mic preamp has a high impedance it may sound best without any DI box in the way. I'm not a big Millennia fan but for example an instrument direct into a Millennia mic input can sound great and clean and punchy.

No DI box: If you're looking for clean that's as clean as it gets.
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

Or a Gordon preamp,
2 mega ohm input impedance.
Just plug right in.
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
No DI box: If you're looking for clean that's as clean as it gets.
That'd depend on loading.

I'll vote the Countryman & BSS active DIs for transparent use.

Wirlwind and MTR for less expense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search